People who stay late at work

Comments

• towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should work to live, not live to work, unless you genuinely enjoy your job and get huge satisfaction from it - eg saving people's lives in hospital, working with animals or children.
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I start at 7:30 and finish at 3:40 every day. I have very rearely in my 28 year working life worked late and not many do where I work now. And I get 41.5 days holiday a year plus bank holidays. For me the most important thing about work is the time I spend away from it. I also have never really talked about work to my friends and family either, its just not an important part of my life and its not something that defines me.

How do I get a job like yours!? :-)
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    You should work to live, not live to work, unless you genuinely enjoy your job and get huge satisfaction from it - eg saving people's lives in hospital, working with animals or children.

Some of us work to survive. No such thing as living on £6++ per hour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I work flexi which means some weeks am quite a bit over my 37 hours. Really don't mind though as I enjoy the job and know I can take it back when things quieten down. Although to be honest am at quite an early stage of my career and if I had to stay an extra 10 or so hours a week I probably would do it for free. Often I work through my lunch (we are supposed to take at least twenty mins). I figure putting the hours in now and getting a name for yourself means you reap the rewards later.

When I waitressed I had to stay late if tables in my section were still there but we would get paid for it. Same as when I did a close on the bar - we stayed until the last people left and everywhere was clean.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im paid between 9-3:15, but I get into work at 7:30 and leave at 5:00 every day, plus I then do an hour or so at home, and a couple of hours each day at the weekend all unpaid.

Im a teacher, and despite doing around 20 hours unpaid overtime a week I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my job.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    borodave wrote: »
    Im paid between 9-3:15, but I get into work at 7:30 and leave at 5:00 every day, plus I then do an hour or so at home, and a couple of hours each day at the weekend all unpaid.

Im a teacher, and despite doing around 20 hours unpaid overtime a week I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my job.

Yeah, but you've got an easy job with a shitload of holidays. :D
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Narcissus wrote: »
    Because they have realised that even if you only work 9 to 5, you are still going to spend the greater part of your life at work, and so they have found a job they enjoy doing and therefore don't mind spending longer doing it?
    I used to be like that. It wears off in your 40s. Probably another sign of growing up :)

I only extend my work day if I've screwed up, which is pretty rare, or if a project was in trouble and my employer said it was putting the business at risk (very rare indeed).

I do prefer to complete the day's tasks before leaving but I write computer software so it's unusual to ever 'complete' anything in a single day. Instead I just aim to get my current task squared away by day's end. Luckily I'm very good at time management so I'm usually starting to tidy things up an hour before I'm due to go home. The exception is when fixing bugs - sometimes you just run out of time. Even then though I will have run through my last theory for the day before it's time to leave.
    Caldari wrote: »
    Shows just how little you know. I'm in a salaried job, contracted 40 hours per week, but if the need arises then I'll happily stay after my hours to finish. Lets say a project was close to being finalised and the deadline was the next day, I'd rather be getting paid time and half for any hours over the 40 to finish the project than possibly cost the company millions by not completing on time.
    Not many people on a salary get overtime - I don't. Any hours worked beyond my contracted 37.5 are unpaid. That's a mugs game unless the company is in financial difficulty - which mine isn't.
  • spikydogspikydog Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Shows just how little you know. I'm in a salaried job, contracted 40 hours per week, but if the need arises then I'll happily stay after my hours to finish. Lets say a project was close to being finalised and the deadline was the next day, I'd rather be getting paid time and half for any hours over the 40 to finish the project than possibly cost the company millions by not completing on time.

But the dilemma posed by the OP was that they were not paid for overtime worked. Would you be just as keen if that were the case for you?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote: »
    How do I get a job like yours!? :-)

The 41.5 days leave is actually not that straight forward. You get 25.5 days as standard, another 3 for working 10 years and the remaining 13 are sort of flexible but not really. We work slightly more hours than we get paid for and they give us 13 accrued days. 4 are fixed at Christmas but the other 9 can be taken at any time.
    I think it is important to be committed at work just not committed to it. But we are all different and we all need to what we need to do to keep a roof over our head. But no one ever laid on their death bed and regretted the lack of overtime they put in. What you would regret is missing your daughters school play or your sons first rugby match, things like that can never be repeated but that piece of work will be there in the morning
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely if they work hard during the day they can get it finished in working hours?

Depends on what comes up in the day, especially if you manage staff. You can clear your own work but then one of your staff has a problem that you need to sort out often that's what sets you back.

Also depends on what job you do, what about firemen, police, ambulance staff, Dr,s Nurses?
    If they were in the middle of a situation and their shift was due to end they may have no choice but to continue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't stay one minute more if I wasn't getting paid to do so. Why anyone would is beyond me.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Kitty_ wrote: »
    I work flexi which means some weeks am quite a bit over my 37 hours. Really don't mind though as I enjoy the job and know I can take it back when things quieten down. Although to be honest am at quite an early stage of my career and if I had to stay an extra 10 or so hours a week I probably would do it for free. Often I work through my lunch (we are supposed to take at least twenty mins). I figure putting the hours in now and getting a name for yourself means you reap the rewards later.

When I waitressed I had to stay late if tables in my section were still there but we would get paid for it. Same as when I did a close on the bar - we stayed until the last people left and everywhere was clean.

I wouldn't rely on that thought. It's a myth usually. Being a veteran of several redundancies (and surviving two) if redundancies are made, the amount of hours you choose to stay over your allotted time is not taken into consideration. It's all to do with numbers and functions required for organisational change. We are just collateral damage (unless you run the company).
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't rely on that thought. It's a myth usually. Being a veteran of several redundancies (and surviving two) if redundancies are made, the amount of hours you choose to stay over your allotted time is not taken into consideration. It's all to do with numbers and functions required for organisational change. We are just collateral damage (unless you run the company).

Its not so much being seen to do the hours but i see it like this:
    You do the work you are supposed to and you can get it done in your normal working day OR you take on extra work. This extra work gets you noticed but at the same time you can't let your day to day work slip. This generally involves a bit of extra time but whern it comes to interviewing for higher positions you have more experience. Not sure in respect to redundancies though, probably not going to help me then.

Right now I have no children so I will work more. Hopefully this will get me to the position that I can actually afford children, lol. Then maybe I will only work my contracted time.
    Forum Member
    Saying all the above I recently found out a workmate was doing work at home and at weekends just to keep ahead (but without telling our manager). I guess this makes her look like she is super productive while there. This slightly freaked me out as always saw home time as home time. Anyway it kind of made me think I should be doing the same. This is only so I don't feel at a disadvantage. I wouldn't be doing it if she wasnt but I guess this is our work culture.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I have to leave on time because I need to pick my son up from school, that doesn't make me any less dedicated to my work when I am there. I've received two top rate appraisals back to back (whereas my late working colleagues have not) so I would say that is testament to that. Saying all that I do work from home of evening if I need to complete something.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends if you want a career or just a job. My experience and also of my partner is that harder work does get you noticed. I would rather work and get ahead in life, then get home in time for the 6 o'clock news and spend the rest of the night sitting in front of the TV or checking out what the marked down food is at supermarkets cause I cant afford anything else. And then repeat for the rest of my life!

Getting the balance right is important though.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they do this?

I usually find its either people who do nothing all day so have to stay or doormats who are working in jobs where the workload is unreasonable but they are too afraid to say anything.

I often stay late as it's my only chance of being able to concentrate on difficult tasks without being incessantly interrupted with inane questions.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always had jobs where you clock in and out, and I've always been paid for any overtime I've done. There was one occasion where I stayed for an extra hour and my manager tried to pay me for the overtime with his own money (something to do with the department's budget), but I refused, and insisted that I was paid properly. It was done, reluctantly.

I've always also taken any breaks that I'm entitled to.
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a salaried job in that what appears on my payslip is an annual salary, not an hourly rate. But I also get paid overtime, calculated as salary/52/37 for each hour of overtime.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overtime? What's overtime?

One reason some people work outside of normal hours if that they can get more done when the office is quiet. I don't do it very often but I find that I can get much more done when there aren't other people around, the phone isn't ringing, email isn't pinging every few minutes and there's not the constant interruption for meetings.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I'm hourly paid whatever, so where the need arises, I'll work late. On site based projects especially, it isn't so easy to just leave site at 5pm or whatever. Things need to be done.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: oh rly?
    :rolleyes: oh rly?

She obviously does not mind being at work 14 hours a day then. Everyday.

:rolleyes:

The word is 'really'. 'REALLY'... Use it! If you cant use proper spelling on a forum then maybe go back to school or take a training course.

And rolling your eyes at somebody without properly explaining why, in a mature manner, makes you look much worse than the person you were being rude to.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word is 'really'. 'REALLY'... Use it! If you cant use proper spelling on a forum then maybe go back to school or take a training course.

And rolling your eyes at somebody without properly explaining why, in a mature manner, makes you look much worse than the person you were being rude to.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz04hpRwI01r4bef7.jpg

:rolleyes:
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually find its either people who do nothing all day so have to stay or doormats who are working in jobs where the workload is unreasonable but they are too afraid to say anything.
    ]

That's pretty much it. Though actually I constantly say something and nothing gets done about it. Needless to say I'm searching for another job.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sometimes stay 10 or 15 minutes later maybe to finish something i was asked to do by the boss,other than that i leave the same time as everybody else.