Forum Member
    *sigh*

Poor from Caro.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Jules doesn't choke!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    There's tennis being played and ITV decide to go to the studio for a discussion on the history of the tiebreak between Inverdale and Petchey. It's bad enough hearing their voices without having to put up with seeing their faces.

[ETA - oh ****, they're going to show Nadal's match...]
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kei gets a bye into the next round.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,994
    Forum Member
    *sigh*

Poor from Caro.

Maybe not such a surprise as apparently Wozniacki has lost to Gorges twice on clay before...
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    There's tennis being played and ITV decide to go to the studio for a discussion on the history of the tiebreak between Inverdale and Petchey. It's bad enough hearing their voices without having to put up with seeing their faces.

[ETA - oh ****, they're going to show Nadal's match...]

Why on earth wouldn't they?

I like Petchey FTR. By a mile the most knowledgeable pundit I've seen on TV. Grates doing Murray matches though but aside from that he's brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Petra wins the hard way yet again. How much longer can her luck carry on. Sveta and Fran into another 3rd set marathon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised Kohli lost. He was playing so well.
    Forum Member
    Nadal is playing pretty well here. Second serve is still a liability though and he's letting Almagro dictate too many rallies but there's a bit more zip on the forehand at least

I'll still be amazed if he can beat Novak though
    Forum Member
    Surprised Kohli lost. He was playing so well.

The match was home and hosed last night. Rain delay completely killed his momentum. Tsonga will be happier for sure I'd say
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Why on earth wouldn't they?

I guess I'm one of those tennis weirdos who prefer a competitive game of tennis instead of a groupie of one particular player who wants a one-sided procession.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kuzy and fashion is an oxymoron . Great match though.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Never met her of course but just got the feeling she is the sort of "In my day" type pundit you get in sport..

Last British lady to win Wimbledon so guess she does feel she has a right to say whatever she wants though.

In tennis terms, I'd say 'chapeux' to any double Grand Slam winner.

She can think what she likes but calling a male player a 'drama queen' is laced with inappropriate perjorative undertones not so subtely attacking his masculinity and ironic coming from someone who by all accounts has behaved like one on numerous occasions herself.

AM might come back at her, 'takes one to know one'.

It's all too old-school for my liking, like when I saw Sue Mappin tearing a strip of a junior who has just made an error in a practice match with the question, 'What do you call that?', a ridiculous thing for a coach to say if you are trying to establish a level of awareness and then correction of a problem in a player, especially in a sport like tennis where the ball is on the strings according to one study by respected tennis sports scientist Howard Brody back in the 90's, for .4 of a second.

Maybe these women are just passing on the sort of now outmoded hard-nosed, 'kick backside and take names' communication styles that coaches (and many PE teachers) used with them when they were young in the late 50's and early 60's?
    Forum Member
    I guess I'm one of those tennis weirdos who prefer a competitive game of tennis instead of a groupie of one particular player who wants a one-sided procession.

You're having a laugh if you think ITV aren't going to show the greatest clay courter ever who is probably the main protagonist of this whole tournament this year

Almagro beat Nadal last year too so it wasn't always a certainty to be that one-sided ;)

Stream another game if you're so desperate but blaming ITV for this is laughable
    Forum Member
    ^^^ Can you imagine a casual fan switching on and seeing "Kokkanikis v Tomic" on their TV. Who?? It would be reaching for the remote immediately

nadal, Djok, Murray, Fed, Serena, Maria will instantly grab their attention though no matter who they're playing

Ah but they should pander to about 10% of their audience tho I guess!!
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm normally opposed switching matches half way through but damn this match is only going one way, when you have the womens number one in a right battle.
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    You're having a laugh if you think ITV aren't going to show the greatest clay courter ever who is probably the main protagonist of this whole tournament this year

They have the same obsession with showing every stroke of a Federer match and we know how good he is on clay...

I agree that they show the big names as they think people will watch. But if the match is practically a foregone conclusion then there is little point in watching. I'd rather watch Serena struggle than Nadal picking his shorts to victory in three straight sets. They should be more fluid in what they show, picking up on the drama and potential upsets instead of slavishly sticking to a dull walkover.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friedsam takes the first set. 7-5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serena loses the first set, has no one got a link to this, all the ones I get are full of annoying adverts
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    I'm normally opposed switching matches half way through but damn this match is only going one way, when you have the womens number one in a right battle.
    Never heard of Friedsam but she has won the first set. It's on Eurosport
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Serena loses the first set, has no one got a link to this, all the ones I get are full of annoying adverts

Ad Blocker is your good friend
    Forum Member
    They have the same obsession with showing every stroke of a Federer match and we know how good he is on clay...

I agree that they show the big names as they think people will watch. But if the match is practically a foregone conclusion then there is little point in watching. I'd rather watch Serena struggle than Nadal picking his shorts to victory in three straight sets. They should be more fluid in what they show, picking up on the drama and potential upsets instead of slavishly sticking to a dull walkover.

It was just as likely Nadal would struggle than Serena would. Serena is on Europsort anyway so it makes more sense to leave on the best ATP match, so they might get viewers over from ES

ITV sadly lack something a lot of internet posters do -hindsight!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Serena has lost the first set. :o Her opponent is taking the skin off the ball. Out hitting Serena.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never really know with Serena. She can be amazing, and uhm, not so good.

Nadal looks gerat. I thought maybe Almagro could trouble him a bit, but in my dreams only
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Never heard of Friedsam but she has won the first set. It's on Eurosport

Ah what a dimwit I didn't even realise eurosport was showing the french open:blush:

Cheers have it on now
This discussion has been closed.