Options

Would more alive and late legends be a victim of the rape clams?

Comments

• Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    Having sex with a 15 year old was considered pretty wrong in the 50s & 60s too. Witness how Jerry Lee Lewis's 'child bride' (15) affected his career, both in the UK and the US.

Lewis' wife was actually 13, and his cousin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lee_Lewis#Marriage_to_minor

However his management had said she was 15, so they must have assumed that this would be "OK" at the time.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Elvis' wife-to-be was 14 when he started dating her, didn't seem to do his career much harm.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,772
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    And Elvis' wife-to-be was 14 when he started dating her, didn't seem to do his career much harm.

Your point being ? Are you suggesting in some way that sex with an under age child is ok ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Your point being ? Are you suggesting in some way that sex with an under age child is ok ?

Not at all but bear in mind the age of consent in those days differed in some US states and it was not necessarily 16.But contrary to the Jerry Lee Lewis situation it didn't seem to affect Elvis' career.
    Closer to home, Mandy Smith admitted she was 14 when she started having sex with Bill Wyman but he was never prosecuted. Why ? Another conspiracy there but not involving the BBC (as far as we know).
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,772
    Forum Member
    Not at all but bear in mind the age of consent in those days differed in some US states and it was not necessarily 16.But contrary to the Jerry Lee Lewis situation it didn't seem to affect Elvis' career.
    Closer to home, Mandy Smith admitted she was 14 when she started having sex with Bill Wyman but he was never prosecuted. Why ? Another conspiracy there but not involving the BBC (as far as we know).

Ok, fair point. Thanks.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    ... Unless what they did was proper, perverse acts of sexual abuse, this should not be continued as it is becoming like a Hammer Horror where a Witchfinder General is required.

More like Monkey Dust
  • Options
    Stevie_DonaldStevie_Donald Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    How the bloody hell am I supposed to know! What a ridiculous question. You've also put 'a lot' down as well. You criticise me for using the term 'a lot', then you use that very term yourself. Absolutely laughable!

I see you don't do irony
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    I really hope the Two Ronnies don't get dragged into this
    I think if Ronnie Corbett was facing a rape clam he'd find it very tough to get over.

second quote - was that a joke:confused:
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    second quote - was that a joke:confused:

Yes. 'Claim' spelt 'clam', and Ronnie C being short....Geddit?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Not prosecuted because nobody made a complaint?
    It's hardly a conspiracy, unless is a conspiracy of disinterest.
    She (as far as I know) doesn't feel damaged by it.
    Should someone else come along and tell her she's wrong and she was exploited?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another attention seeker crawls out of the woodwork for his 15mins of fame, and his compo.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not prosecuted because nobody made a complaint?
    It's hardly a conspiracy, unless is a conspiracy of disinterest.
    She (as far as I know) doesn't feel damaged by it.
    Should someone else come along and tell her she's wrong and she was exploited?

If the police become aware of it no-one needs to make a complaint for them to prosecute, it's against the law. It's not her decision whether she felt ''damaged.''
    I'm surprised no-one advised her she could get ''compensation'' from Wyman, that might have changed things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Mandy Smith was interviewed by Scotland Yard, there's an article from a few years back giving her view on it all, now that she's older.
    Although the article is titled 'If it happened now, Bill would go to prison' She said she wouldn't want him charged.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1189753/If-happened-Bill-jail-Mandy-Smith-Rolling-Stone-seduced-her.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will these claims for compensation be tested ? Can anyone come along, say they met Savile back in the 60s and he molested them but no-one else saw it ? Surely there must be a level of proof otherwise everyone would be making claims (in fact it seems they are:eek:)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that anyone found to have made an opportunistic rape/sexual abuse claim will be prosecuted and sent to prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority pays out compensation to rape victims of up to £11,000 – even if nobody has been convicted or the person accused of the crime is acquitted.
    Then you have the civil option..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izzy43 wrote: »
    The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority pays out compensation to rape victims of up to £11,000 – even if nobody has been convicted or the person accused of the crime is acquitted.

I thought they only accepted claims going back six years so any allegations from the 60s and 70s would be invalid ?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the police become aware of it no-one needs to make a complaint for them to prosecute, it's against the law. It's not her decision whether she felt ''damaged.''
    I'm surprised no-one advised her she could get ''compensation'' from Wyman, that might have changed things.

I think in England and Wales it is actually the CPS who decide whether to prosecute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought they only accepted claims going back six years so any allegations from the 60s and 70s would be invalid ?

I thought so to until someone told me there was a change in the law a few years ago and you can now claim for historic rape/abuse. I had a check on-line and it's correct.

I can't quite figure out if there would need to be a trial or enquiry for it to paid though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the situation seems to be anyone can make a claim and there's no way of proving them right or wrong as there appear to be no witnesses in virtually every case; you couldmn't be accused of making a false claim because no-one can disprove your claim, the person being claimed against is dead and certainly so are some of the people who were around him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Closer to home, Mandy Smith admitted she was 14 when she started having sex with Bill Wyman but he was never prosecuted. Why ? Another conspiracy there

What conspiracy? She's already said she wouldn't want him prosecuted. And if she refuses to testify, where does the evidence come from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the situation seems to be anyone can make a claim and there's no way of proving them right or wrong as there appear to be no witnesses in virtually every case;

I've posted this case before in another thread, but it's a shocking indictment of how ready some gullible jurors are to believe the uncorroborated testimony of an alleged child victim.

http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/rogerbeardmore/

No eye witness testimony, no forensics, nothing except the claims of an 11 year old girl. How it ever came to trial in the first place is unbelievable, but the fact that he ever came to be convicted is utterly shocking.

This really could happen to anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    I've posted this case before in another thread, but it's a shocking indictment of how ready some gullible jurors are to believe the uncorroborated testimony of an alleged child victim.

http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/rogerbeardmore/

No eye witness testimony, no forensics, nothing except the claims of an 11 year old girl. How it ever came to trial in the first place is unbelievable, but the fact that he ever came to be convicted is utterly shocking.

This really could happen to anyone.

Really sad and I agree it could happen to anyone.
    There's a case here that ended up in court mainly down to the police's trawling method. It made for uneasy reading for me.
    http://www.richardwebster.net/endthiscruelinjustice.html
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is now going to become a "Witch Hunt"...who can after many years prove or disprove?? People will jump on the band wagon if they think they can get money out of it!! I am NOT saying that none of it happened..but talk about opening a can of worms!!!!!
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izzy43 wrote: »

Is that right? Blimey.
    So if I was to accuse anyone of rape, regardless of whether he did it or not and whether he was convicted of it or not, I'd be in for some compo?
    That seems ill thought out to me. What's to stop people making false allegations specifically to get paid?