Do you think Rihanna is modern-day Madonna?

2»

Comments

• HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna is derivative, she's offered nothing to music except that the realisation that if you release an album and one or two killer singles every year, you can cement yourself in the public consciousness and take advantage of other artists absence. Gaga looks like she's flailing right now and uncertain as to what she might do next, but Rihanna will just relentlessly and remorselessly continue to release music and keep herself in the public eye until she finally burns out or the public finally tire of her.
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Rihanna is derivative, she's offered nothing to music except that the realisation that if you release an album and one or two killer singles every year, you can cement yourself in the public consciousness and take advantage of other artists absence. Gaga looks like she's flailing right now and uncertain as to what she might do next, but Rihanna will just relentlessly and remorselessly continue to release music and keep herself in the public eye until she finally burns out or the public finally tire of her.

I think it's hardly even worth debate, she's at the mercy of record companies and producers, if they see a new talent star whatever you call them, then she's finished.

Music nowadays really is crap
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wouldn't say she is a modern-day Madonna but I'd say there are aspects (obviously).

The greatness with Madonna was the innuendo and subtlety as well as hints etc (regarding the sexual stuff). Whereas with Rihanna she says it point blank and any deeper meaning is instantly shattered. There's no thought-provoking with Rihanna, whereas there was with Madonna.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she'll burn out first, she tours and records non-stop, has a turbulent personal life and if rumours are to be believed her drug use has gone beyond having the odd joint. I hope she doesn't become part of the '27 club' like Winehouse, Kurt Cobain etc.

Yeah, I dont mean to be insensitve to anyone, but I have a funny feeling about Rihanna. I had the same feeling about MIchael Jackson many years ago.

I simply couldnt imagine either of them being old. I simply cant envisage a 50 or 60 yr old Rihanna, thats not a feeling I get about celebrities very often.

I wouldnt be surprised if she ends up being one of those shock TMZ stories...
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    do your research, you may be surprised at what Britney has done, Britney isn`t the puppet people think she is, just ask her producers as many have stated many a times, Britney is probably one of not many who fully respects the people who work with and for her.

Perhaps a few years ago but no way now. Not after the conservatorship.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing about Madonna is that she was right on time when she needed to be. Pop needed a woman who wasn't afraid to be openly sexual amongst all the men who were. Debbie Harry came close but didn't have the guts to go as far as Madonna did. Madonna also embraced imagery and changed the way tours were with Blonde Ambition. She was also the first woman to really take full control of her music. Madonna also pushed buttons and opened up debate. Like being one of the very first celebs to talk openly about aids when no one else would. Controversy followed Madonna but it has always been controversy with effect and not just for padding.

Rihanna is good pop star but she hasn't changed the landscape of music in the same way Madonna did.
  • urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    No. Madonna had some decent songs
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Rihanna but i dont really get what her legacy is, shes sold millions and millions but the majority of that is from disposable 79p itunes tracks - after Rated R and her Grammy snub it could have gone either way but luckily she struck pop gold again.

For all shes sold i just dont find her "iconic" and shes never had an album thats been a mega mega seller either.
    Rihanna does not write any of her material , unlike Madonna . Plus although Madonna was explicit , raunchy etc at times , she was not vulgar and crude like Riahanna .

She rimmed her ex boyfriend's ass in her Sex book...I think a few might find that quite crude and vulgar lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Madonna had some decent songs

Arhahaha!!! Love Rihanna but this made me chuckle!
    People seem to either love or hate Madonna yet her influence on pop music is undeniable. Also, Madonna would NEVER do a single show on a tour without giving it her absolute all. I've heard many people complain recently that Rihanna just hasn't been bringing it as much as she could to her recent dates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She rimmed her ex boyfriend's ass in her Sex book...I think a few might find that quite crude and vulgar lol

Is it wrong that I find it admirable?...
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »

Pmsl!

Very vulgar and very Madonna!

I doubt Rihanna would have the guts to be pictured rimming Chris Brown's arse!

LOL!
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I find it admirable?...

No, it's very admirable, I would never do it no matter how much I loved a guy!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    No, Madonna could sing and was genuinely creative.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just no!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's very admirable, I would never do it no matter how much I loved a guy!

It's awesome.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moose1982 wrote: »
    It's awesome.

I say as long as the bum is squeaky clean by being douched properly, it can be really fabulous!
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna has nowhere near the impact or success that Madonna had at the same point in her career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Madonna is the last of the big spenders.
    Britney Spears a legend in her own right couldn't even come close.
    Gaga a very talented artist who will be a legend in her own right cant come close.
    Rihanna i quite like but NO!
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Madonna is the last of the big spenders.
    Britney Spears a legend in her own right couldn't even come close.
    Gaga a very talented artist who will be a legend in her own right cant come close.
    Rihanna i quite like but NO!

I don't think Britney and Gaga will be legends in any respect. They're just average pop stars.
    Rihanna I can't stand.
    At least Madonna was pushing boundaries and annoying the pope, but even she's gone off the boil the past few years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    No. That is a disservice to Madonna.

Madonna owned her sexuality, she was genuinely provocative, independent, pushed boundaries and for the most part it was empowering for the woman.

Rihanna does not do this. She is submissive, irresponsible and controlled. Her career is men - from the boys salivating over her, to the suits behind her and to exploiting the Chris Brown scandal consistently.

She's a good popstar in that she delivers hits in pretty packages, but Madonna was more than that. I'm not one thinks she shits rainbows and has a midas touch, but clearly she transcended being just a "sexy popstar"...which is the only valid ground of comparison in my eyes.