Options

Feline stress

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Feliway the best solution to feline stress? The diffuser and spray seem to get good feedback. Anyone used them, and know of the best source on prices?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best aid to feline stress is figuring out the cause of the stress and helping to resolve it if you can. Let us know what the situation is and someone might have some useful suggestions.

If the situation is something like moving house or introducing a new cat etc them feliway diffuser can be useful in helping calm down a nervous kitty.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Agreed, Feliway can help but it isn't a solution.
    I think it's expensive wherever you buy it tbh, I've seen it a bit cheaper online but you then pay postage so not a huge difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I should have worded it better! I really meant a good aid for stress. It's several things really. One of which is going to the vets including getting the cat in a carrier.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I should have worded it better! I really meant a good aid for stress. It's several things really. One of which is going to the vets including getting the cat in a carrier.

If you have an arrange appointment at the vet it maybe an idean to get the cat carrier out a few days before and give it a little spray of cat nip, let her or him see and get used to the smell. It can work but its hard I know one of my dear departed cats used to know it was vet time when I went to the cupboard in the hallway! Now I could have been going there for the hoover but she would hear that *creak* (it was a proper basket) that used to do it.:(

I now have one of these fancynancy cat carriers that is soft and folds away in a bag, opens at the top and also at the side and has a shoulder strap. Best thing I ever got.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I've seen it recommended to spray the carrier with Feliway. However in that type of short term high stress situation I think it would have limited effectiveness. All cats are stressed going to the vet's, my semi feral is petrified, but it is only for a brief time. If you try Feliway for this let us know if it helped!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Don't know if getting the carrier out earlier would work. There's 3 of them and they tend to run off and hide if they even sense anyone's going in a carrier! Get stressed in the car too. Maybe spraying it will help, worth a try anyway.