Comments

• tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season opener cliche of the week;

'Throwing someone under the bus';

He threw you under the bus.

Are you throwing her under the bus?

They really all threw you under the bus.

I quite like the two young Trumps but as each season goes by they re-write the meaning of the term tight-lipped. In fact, I don't think Don moved his mouth at all while speaking tonight.

Roll on tomorrow night.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has this been shown recently in the US or is it from a few years ago? I thought they only did the celebrity one now.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Has this been shown recently in the US or is it from a few years ago? I thought they only did the celebrity one now.

It's 3 years old. It was the worst rated normal apprentice season ever.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched it, I thought the mouthy tart Mahsa Saeidi-Azcuy should have gone. I wanted to slap her when she was screeching in the board room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched it, I thought the mouthy tart Mahsa Saeidi-Azcuy should have gone. I wanted to slap her when she was screeching in the board room.

The Assistant DA speaks - 'It wouldn't be justice....'

Didn't the 3 of them sound awful when they were going at it hammer and tongs?
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Season opener cliche of the week;

'Throwing someone under the bus';

He threw you under the bus.

Are you throwing her under the bus?

They really all threw you under the bus.

I quite like the two young Trumps but as each season goes by they re-write the meaning of the term tight-lipped. In fact, I don't think Don moved his mouth at all while speaking tonight.

Roll on tomorrow night.

If it's the series I'm thinking of, then that's the cliche of the whole series.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was used alot in the celeb version especially by cyndi, i think David is the real life Andy Bernard from the office:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one got thrown under any buses for 2 whole episodes.

Although James wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page.

The tasks seem to involve far less actual work than the UK one.

They all seem 'good to go' almost immediately on their tasks.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clint's good

reminds me of Richard Gere's buddy in "Officer and a Gentleman" (David Keith)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind that the winner ends up running a property development, I'm wondering why all the tasks aren't to do with this?

Wouldn't make great TV?

In one company I worked in, they spent thousands on training programmes which got everyone to do stuff that was noting to do with the work of the company.

Most people couldn't grasp the essence of the training, never mind apply it back to the workplace.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    This is the only ever US Apprentice I've seen, and I cannot believe how much it SLAYS our cheap-o UK version :eek:

Ok, obvs Trump's got far more money to play with, but he's so much tougher in the boardroom too! And as opposed to Sugar, it doesn't seem as if he's had certain lines and questions fed to him to ask the candidates. He's brilliant. I really like him (in this show) and his kids seem to kick some serious a$$ too :D

Surprised to hear an earlier post say this was panned as the worst US season ever, as I'm really enjoying it!

David is killing me though :sleep: As is Mahsa :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trump is always good, and the winners rewards are top notch too. Far better than Sugars.

The toughest moment was in one of the early series. A guy, Brad I think, had won the previous task, which gave him immunity from being fired. He was so confident that he wouldn't be fired that he waived his immunity.

He certainly wasn't the worst, but Trump fired him out of hand for giving up immunity.

series 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(U.S._season_2)
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the only ever US Apprentice I've seen, and I cannot believe how much it SLAYS our cheap-o UK version :eek:

Ok, obvs Trump's got far more money to play with, but he's so much tougher in the boardroom too! And as opposed to Sugar, it doesn't seem as if he's had certain lines and questions fed to him to ask the candidates. He's brilliant. I really like him (in this show) and his kids seem to kick some serious a$$ too :D

Surprised to hear an earlier post say this was panned as the worst US season ever, as I'm really enjoying it!

David is killing me though :sleep: As is Mahsa :rolleyes:
    Completely disagree - much prefer the UK one. The actual tasks are laughable - they don't seem anywhere near as in depth as ours.

e.g. the ice cream one - it wasn't based on profit, sourcing your own ice cream, making a flavour etc...it was just selling as many as possible. It was too simplistic.

I'm enjoying it - but it's not a patch on ours. Also the baby trumps don't actually follow the teams all day - what's the point in that?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've not seen any of this season yet. Generally, I agree that the US tasks and rewards are better financed, and often more imaginative.

However, Trump himself is far worse. He has no insight. He generally sacks whoever the losing team members blame, and they generally blame the team leader, so the leader of the losing team almost always goes. Sometimes the team will pick someone else as a scapegoat, usually as part of a long-running vendetta that is very predictable. It becomes a popularity contest rather than about business competence. Occasionally someone will get fired unexpectedly, and randomly, for pushing one of Trumps buttons. The chap Gemma mentions is an example. There was another chap who got fired for describing himself as "white trash". It might be good "car crash" telly, but I prefer a bit more depth. Being team leader has become such a poisoned chalice in the US that they now get immunity if they win, because no-one would do it otherwise.

I like Invana, though. She often asks good questions.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Completely disagree - much prefer the UK one. The actual tasks are laughable - they don't seem anywhere near as in depth as ours.

e.g. the ice cream one - it wasn't based on profit, sourcing your own ice cream, making a flavour etc...it was just selling as many as possible. It was too simplistic.

I'm enjoying it - but it's not a patch on ours. Also the baby trumps don't actually follow the teams all day - what's the point in that?

I also much prefer the UK version. It just doesn't have the tension and pace of ours imo. Also, the Celeb versions and this Recession version have too many cheesy sob-story moments.

Some of Trump's decisions have been bizarre too.
    He fired one for calling themselves "white trash", and another when he discovered she had a DUI. Completely unrelated to the show.
    :rolleyes:

*Spoilered in case I get shouted at for discussing other seasons results without spoilers, despite not mentioning names. Can't be too safe sometimes on here. :o
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »

Yes, you're right. Plus you don't get to see them fight it out for project manager. And so far, there's never been a mention of budget? Like the office design one, they just got to swan around and pick whatever the liked! Thought that was a bit strange... And with the ice cream one, no mention of budget being deducted from the goofy clothes/uniforms they bought.

So I suppose there are many weak/different points to the UK version (of which I've watched every series, am a a huge fan, and always look forward to the next one!) but it is nice to see a change in cast and tasks as the UK one seems to do exactly the same taks every year, and their prizes aren't as good...but again that's just down to Trump's contacts and $$$.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When 'I've been involved in theatre for 30 years' lied to Trump, I thought he'd fire her on the sport.

These shows have almost become a parody of themselves with so many cliches, if I started writing them down, I'd be writing out a transcript of the show.

Think I'll 'through myself under the bus' or would that stop me from 'making a comeback' or maybe changing everything 'to be all about me' or perhaps I should storm back into the boardroom to 'clear my name' (Mr Trump, Sir).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firing
    glad mahsa went

david.
    ugghh. cant see him lasting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    When 'I've been involved in theatre for 30 years' lied to Trump, I thought he'd fire her on the sport.

These shows have almost become a parody of themselves with so many cliches, if I started writing them down, I'd be writing out a transcript of the show.

Think I'll 'through myself under the bus' or would that stop me from 'making a comeback' or maybe changing everything 'to be all about me' or perhaps I should storm back into the boardroom to 'clear my name' (Mr Trump, Sir).

I thought he would, when he picked up the lie.

mind you, i didn't quite see the problem with Mahsa disclosing her teams result.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member
    Is this the last of the non-celeb seasons? It was pretty good season overall, Clint was a likeable guy, but I can see why they've since stuck to celebs only for the US version.

The new season in the US started last night, All-star celebs (all previous celebrity contestants) - and a very good opener too, even with Piers being his usual self... Only downside with the celeb version though is that Mr Trump clearly has his favourites among them, and you get a good idea who's in danger early on...

But any series which has both Stephen Baldwin and Gary Busey in has to be worth a watch, even if just for the car crash element :)
    Forum Member
    I've never been a fan of "celebrity versions" of any show, so I'm really gutted to hear that the US Apprentice only makes celebrity versions now :(

P.S. Although I did watch the last episode, what was Stephanie's lie? Aka, Miss "I've been involved in musical theatre for the last 30 years"
  • Alfie155Alfie155 Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »

I like Invana, though. She often asks good questions.

Never hear the questions - totally distracted esp when she wore that blue top!
    Apols for lowering the tone.:o
  • petertreepetertree Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been a fan of "celebrity versions" of any show, so I'm really gutted to hear that the US Apprentice only makes celebrity versions now :(

P.S. Although I did watch the last episode, what was Stephanie's lie? Aka, Miss "I've been involved in musical theatre for the last 30 years"

I think I'm right in saying it was because she had been at the music conservatory and involved in music for 30 years, but she said she didn't step up as project manager because she thought it was going to be about theatre rather than music, and Mr Trump hadn't said it was about music-- which he did.
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really didn't like David when it first started but he's been growing on me the last few episodes. I really don't know how poppy has made it so far she doesn't do much on any task and never speaks up. I really don't want Stephanie to win she's very manipulative.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Alfie155 wrote: »
    Never hear the questions - totally distracted esp when she wore that blue top!
    Apols for lowering the tone.:o
    Don't apologise, I'm the same.....What was the question.;)

Brandy in the shirt.:p
    Poppy next week.:)

And David is Mad...fact.