Huawei Y300....storage advice

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey OK to I'm going to be buying this phone in the next week. I'm not into the high range Smart phones, wouldn't use half of what it could do. I'm just looking a new android phone with the new 4.1.

It doesn't bother me that this phone hasn't got the usual apps list, I am phone savvy so I will get use to it...so long as its Android I good. So I don't carry a lot of apps on my phones as I have a tablet that does all that, the only apps I would want on this phone would be Zedge, My-Tmobile, Clean master, Lookout security, battery saver, YouTube and maybe outlook. Not fused with game's and other things. Now I have a Vivacity and some of the apps I have can be moved to my SD card, can I do the same with the Y300? I heard that any downloaded apps cannot be moved to the sdcard at all......is this correct?

I know some aps cannot be moved but there are some that can and I hope I could move some of them to my sdcard that I will slot into my new Huawei....

Also if I download Zedge app...can i have my own wallpapers selected from that app...Zedge? I was look at the Xperia j but a lot of people slated that phone and praised this one much more, might as well pay £70 or so cheaper and get this , since it does exactly the same, with the Sony your paying more for the name. Anyone with this phone able to help with the questions I have asked...and why is it cheap with all the specs it has??

Comments

• SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I got Huawei Y300 as well You can easily move apps to SD card and also under storage option select Default storage location as SD card and then everything you install or download will be saved to SD card. even pictures and videos,

I'm using this phone for over 2 months now...using Video calls via Hangouts a lot over wifi and 3G. Also using sygic navigation on daily basis and its working perfectly great,
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the help. I dunno why one said that you couldn't. I have a 2gb SD card...don't need bigger then that really as I will only have a handful of apps on it and my photos/videos.

Did it take you a while to get used to not having app list? That's the only thing I'm not happy about but it's not deterring me from the phone and I will get to grips with it fast. And can you have you own wallpapers that come from zedge or you can only have the default ones that come with phone?

So I go to storage settings and make my SD card the main storage location...easy as that? And what about apps that cannot go onto sd, will it go straight to phone?
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi.

What do you mean by 'not having an app list?'. I'm eyeing this phone as my girlfriend's first Android smartphone in a month's time (she doesn't want anything too expensive / fancy).

YouTube videos show there's no app drawer, much like iOS, but that's okay. Is that what you're referring to? But I also read somewhere that the full Google Play store suite of apps isn't available, due to issues with China and Google. Is this true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Hi.

What do you mean by 'not having an app list?'. I'm eyeing this phone as my girlfriend's first Android smartphone in a month's time (she doesn't want anything too expensive / fancy).

YouTube videos show there's no app drawer, much like iOS, but that's okay. Is that what you're referring to? But I also read somewhere that the full Google Play store suite of apps isn't available, due to issues with China and Google. Is this true?

Yes I mean the app drawer. I hope that part isn't true about the apps not all available on this device......any truth to this anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for confirming that part anyway. I'd read it on a review somewhere but can't find it now; be good to know if someone can corroborate or dismiss this before she actually gets one...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviews aren't always correct...I mean that's why i asked about the storage advice cause a review told me that downloaded apps cannot be stored on the SD and someone who owns the phone has told me otherwise.....so you can't rely totally on reviews well not the general ones, there are some really good reviews out there but sometimes someone will put one out there with the wrong info.

Can anyone here confirm what he said about the apps?
    Forum Member
    FCUK wrote: »
    Cheers for the help. I dunno why one said that you couldn't. I have a 2gb SD card...don't need bigger then that really as I will only have a handful of apps on it and my photos/videos.

Did it take you a while to get used to not having app list? That's the only thing I'm not happy about but it's not deterring me from the phone and I will get to grips with it fast. And can you have you own wallpapers that come from zedge or you can only have the default ones that come with phone?

So I go to storage settings and make my SD card the main storage location...easy as that? And what about apps that cannot go onto sd, will it go straight to phone?

I got Nexus4 and Y300 and using Nove launcher on both so look is same on both. There is are app list on Y300 own defult launcher and on Nova as well and both shows every app installed on phone.

You can have any picture as wallpaper downloaded from zedge or copied from PC or web.

Once you set SD card as default storage on your phone then after that most of app installed from play store will go straight to SD card. some apps like UK banking app will be installed on phone memory.
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    But I also read somewhere that the full Google Play store suite of apps isn't available, due to issues with China and Google. Is this true?

That might be the case if you are in mainland China but here in UK you will get full access to play store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    That might be the case if you are in mainland China but here in UK you will get full access to play store.

Cool. That's probably the case and if you've imported the handset from overseas, rather than just getting it from CPW or similar.

Good to hear. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadmehappy, cheers for your info.

But I was under the assumption the y300 didn't have the usual android apps lists but the apps you download would be scattered across the home screens?

Can you give me a step by step guide on how to select my SD card as the default storage location please? I'm quite savy but at times my mind goes blank.
    Forum Member
    Sadmehappy, cheers for your info.

But I was under the assumption the y300 didn't have the usual android apps lists but the apps you download would be scattered across the home screens?
    Y300 have app list like any other phone. Install Nova Launcher Free from play store and then select as default launcher.
    Here is youtube link of nova launcher review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KwEkvoarg
    Can you give me a step by step guide on how to select my SD card as the default storage location please? I'm quite savy but at times my mind goes blank.

Once your put SD card then just do setting--->storage--->and select SD card as default storage. all done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again thanks for the help.

But many reviews tell me that Huawei Y300 hasn't got the standard apps list but instead several home screens where the apps would be....similar to the iPhone style. Do you mean once I install Nover Launcher I'll then have the usual android apps list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again thanks for the help.

But many reviews tell me that Huawei Y300 hasn't got the standard apps list but instead several home screens where the apps would be....similar to the iPhone style. Do you mean once I install Nover Launcher I'll then have the usual android apps list.

Yep, that's correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh OK. That's cool.

Watched the clip, seems complicated though?
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it but did not like the look and feel of it so uninstalled after a few hours.
    I have sorted apps into several folders and find this preferable to the Nover experiance.
    I use the SD for all app downloads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it easy to sort the apps into folders?

I'm perhaps only gonna have about 5-8 apps on the phone as I use my tablet for that. And I have always wondered why it costs so little? Its not a high end phone but then again its not a crap budget phone.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it easy to sort the apps into folders?

I'm perhaps only gonna have about 5-8 apps on the phone as I use my tablet for that. And I have always wondered why it costs so little? Its not a high end phone but then again its not a crap budget phone.

It's easy.

To start drag an app over another and they will form a folder containing them both.

Tap the folder and there are your two apps. You can change the name of the folder or press the + to see a list of all apps on the phone, any you select will be moved into the folder.

I have folders called "Google" containing google apps, "entertainment" with music player etc in it, anf "games" etc etc.

You can take apps out of a folder by dragging them onto the main screen.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else had this, or know what has happened? I have been using this fine for a week but just changed my app default storage to the SD Card, but now when I go to play my music nothing is there. The music is still on the SD card but can only be played by going to the file.

Update, it seems plugging the usb into the laptop seems to have fixed whatever it was.
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    hallstar wrote: »
    Update, it seems plugging the usb into the laptop seems to have fixed whatever it was.

Plugging the phone into the laptop seems to unmount the SD card, so when you unplug it the SD card gets remounted and all your stuff is available again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKW wrote: »
    It's easy.

To start drag an app over another and they will form a folder containing them both.

Tap the folder and there are your two apps. You can change the name of the folder or press the + to see a list of all apps on the phone, any you select will be moved into the folder.

I have folders called "Google" containing google apps, "entertainment" with music player etc in it, anf "games" etc etc.

You can take apps out of a folder by dragging them onto the main screen.

Thanks for the info there, seems pretty easy. I'm sure I'll get use to it.......I'm used to the typical android set up and though this is android the interface is pretty different. Btw the Y300 runs jelly bean yes?

And I wonder how long this phone will be available... cause I was looking to get it monday but it seems as if I have to put it off for month and a bit.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKW wrote: »
    I tried it but did not like the look and feel of it so uninstalled after a few hours.
    I have sorted apps into several folders and find this preferable to the Nover experiance.
    I use the SD for all app downloads.

If you want the traditional android set up of home screens and an app drawer but don't like Nova launcher there are many others on Google Play that you might prefer. I've used ADW, Launcher Pro, Go Launcher and Apex launcher and they are all different but good in their own way. There are others too, just pick one that suits your requirements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    If you want the traditional android set up of home screens and an app drawer but don't like Nova launcher there are many others on Google Play that you might prefer. I've used ADW, Launcher Pro, Go Launcher and Apex launcher and they are all different but good in their own way. There are others too, just pick one that suits your requirements.

Well in you view what's the best app for me? Cause the Y300 is widely criticized due to not having the usual app lists/drawer. And really that's all I want.,.to have an apps drawer, where I click one button and it shows me all the apps rather then have them scattered.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in you view what's the best app for me? Cause the Y300 is widely criticized due to not having the usual app lists/drawer. And really that's all I want.,.to have an apps drawer, where I click one button and it shows me all the apps rather then have them scattered.

I would suggest trying Launcher Pro, it works very well, highly customisable and will give you a typical android homescreen/app drawer experience that you're familar with. Apex and Nova will give you more of a stock android Jelly Bean feel, if that'sbwhat you're looking for.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Launcher Pro. I haven't even thought about that app since 2011. It was OK I seem to .

For me the best launcher is Action Launcher pro. I use it most of the time now on my Nexus 4 with just one screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I would suggest trying Launcher Pro, it works very well, highly customisable and will give you a typical android homescreen/app drawer experience that you're familar with. Apex and Nova will give you more of a stock android Jelly Bean feel, if that'sbwhat you're looking for.

Thanks.