Back to Camelot: Season 4 - Knights, Camelot, Agravaine!

Comments

• SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Darkest Hour (Part 2)

Poor Merlin, all floppy

Sir Leon!

Lancelot being brave and noble, Natarhi. NOBLE!

I think that shot of Sir Percival carrying Merlin with Arthur and the other knights behind is one of my favourite shots of the whole series, and the music is just fabulous

Arthur admitting it was his fault and he’s sorry. Awww

Is that Avi bravely taking Merlin home to Camelot? Or is she still being ridden by Arthur?

More sad music.

Sir Gwaine and the bees *snigger* The look on Sir Leon and Arthur’s faces – classic!

I really missed Lancelot and Merlin’s friendship in later episodes

Awww, Merlin healed by the Vilia – could be painful. More stirring music.

Sir Leon! Blimey, those knights were a bit ungainly dismounting – perhaps they have numb bums. I could massage them better!

Ha! Percival jumping on Gwaine. I love the bit where they all gradually appear over the tunnel wall, and then duck down. So, the wildren takes a liking to Gwaine . . . can’t say I blame it! I bet he’s had worse when he’s drunk.

They’re a bit nifty, those wildren, aren’t they?

Ooh, Agravaine being a meanie!

Go for it Gwen – say your piece. Yes, Geoffrey of Monmouth, be ashamed.

Aha! Merlin looks better! “You’re mean to be dying” “You don’t ever do as you’re told”

Sir Leon!

Morgana’s looking a bit peaky. Still got those nasty dry lips, I see.

Poor Uther’s also looking rough. Better dress than normal, Gwen. Don’t trust Agravaine, Gwen – he’s wearing black! He’s a baddy!

Who is this mysterious stranger that Merlin and Lancelot have happened upon? Aren’t they going to introduce themselves? Or are they just going to burn all his fuel and avail themselves of his hospitality? Oh. That’s what they’ll do. He might be dead, but even so, how rude!

Useless guard – quickly despatched

Agravaine does a lot of lurking behind chairs, doesn’t he? First Morgana, now Gwen . . .

“The guards will see you home”? Fat lot of use they’ll be. Oh yes. Point proven.

Sir Leon! And they’ve made camp! Inspirational music and speech from Sir Elyan.

Go on Gaius, do something useful for once that doesn’t involve a sleeping potion and fond Gwen

And now they’re stealing the dead man’s booze! Yes, Merlin, YOU’LL keep Arthur safe. HAHAHAHAHA!

Yes, Gaius, prod Gwen’s wound with a stick – that’ll help

Some nice slo mo running . . . and the scaly handbag appears!

I don’t know why you keep advising Merlin, Kilgharrah . . . you just KNOW he never listens

Sir Leon! And Gwaine burns his socks. I’d volunteer to scrub Sir Gwaine’s back. And front. And all the bits above and below and in between . . .

Awww, Arthur looks so happy to see Merlin. Loving the chat in the firelight between them. The lighting is fabulous. I do like this scene.

The ferryman hasn’t cheered up any

Great scary wyvern.

Oops, Gwaine, that as very silly! The Cailleach isn’t happy. And Arthur’s unconscious so he doesn’t hear her call Merlin Emrys . . . but all the other knights (apart from Gwaine) do.

Go Lancelot! Go and do something REALLY NOBLE AND BRAVE!

The tribute to Sir Lancelot had me sobbing my heart out the first time I saw it. Even now it’s so emotional it still get me. It’s so beautifully done with the music. And then Arthur taking Gwen’s hand – lovely!

Morgana – get some lip salve!

Colin’s fringe is looking particularly fluffy and nice.

Ha! Now they’re suspicious of Agravaine . . .

I think these episodes are fantastic – well up there with the series 3 finale. They have a great story line, humour, one of the best emotional scenes, the knights, a real proper plot . . . everything!
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    What have I said about mentioning that in here :mad::mad::cry::cry:

:p:p

I can't remember :o

Although, I think I can take a pretty good guess and I apologise :):p I stand by my comment though, a real high point for Merlin.
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    I can't remember :o

Although, I think I can take a pretty good guess and I apologise :):p I stand by my comment though, a real high point for Merlin.

Don't mention it!! :mad::cry::cry:

I loved this series opener of Merlin too :D Mainly because Merlin nearly died :o:p
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    I think these episodes are fantastic – well up there with the series 3 finale. They have a great story line, humour, one of the best emotional scenes, the knights, a real proper plot . . . everything!

Totally agree. I have just watched ep 1 and 2 with my youngest 3. Youngest son finds the Dorocha scary which I suppose means they have got them right. I just love the Merlin/Lancelot/Arthur scenes.

Now watching ep 3. Sorry, I can't help it. This is my all time favourite episode. I love love love it. :D
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Now watching ep 3. Sorry, I can't help it. This is my all time favourite episode. I love love love it. :D

I agree with you there. One of the best episodes ever. It has a wonderful mixture of drama and humour. I was listening to the commentary by Alice Troughton and Colin Morgan. I agree with Alice Troughton's comment that you wouldn't believe the way the story was going to go when the episode started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarendel wrote: »
    I agree with you there. One of the best episodes ever. It has a wonderful mixture of drama and humour. I was listening to the commentary by Alice Troughton and Colin Morgan. I agree with Alice Troughton's comment that you wouldn't believe the way the story was going to go when the episode started.

That's very true, although my TV guide plastering the spoiler on their front page didn't really help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must listen to the commentary on the first two episodes. Honestly, if only the rest of the remaining two series had been up to the standard of the Series 3 finale and the Series 4 openers, it would have been truly epic television
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must listen to the commentary on the first two episodes. Honestly, if only the rest of the remaining two series had been up to the standard of the Series 3 finale and the Series 4 openers, it would have been truly epic television

There's still some fantastic episodes to come! :eek:

I do feel a bit out on a limb saying that, but, for me, the fun has only just begun again after a bit of a hiatus. I thought S3, as a whole, was quite weak, (despite obvious strengths and high points!) so the last 3 months' rewatch has been of limited interest to me. But now we get the real meaty stuff! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do feel a bit out on a limb saying that, but, for me, the fun has only just begun again after a bit of a hiatus. I thought S3, as a whole, was quite weak, (despite obvious strengths and high points!) so the last 3 months' rewatch has been of limited interest to me. But now we get the real meaty stuff! :D

I'm just commenting on where we're up to in the rewatch :)

Am definitely looking forward to the rest of Series 4 (and the start of Series 5 ;)) - I'm just being reminded on an episode by episode basis how strong these particular ones were :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just commenting on where we're up to in the rewatch :)

Am definitely looking forward to the rest of Series 4 (and the start of Series 5 ;)) - I'm just being reminded on an episode by episode basis how strong these particular ones were :D

Oh that's ok then. I thought you were implying all the remainder was rubbish.

I don't really need to watch to be reminded of the quality of most episodes (though I have NEVER rewatched the middle episodes of S5 so I might be in for some pleasant (?) surprises there. Then again, I am not an idiot, I can still remember back to last year, and I doubt I will be pleasantly surprised :mad:) But those episodes aside, I have rewatched all the series of Merlin so much, I have a pretty good memory of each one.

Actually, my kids were mocking me and calling me a weird obsessive geek yesterday because I could pinpoint any episode. By which I mean, my son asked me which episode Gwaine first appeared in and I instantly said 3:04 - and could then do that for every single episode they named. :o Then we were watching the S4 2 part opener and my son asked wasn't this the episode Merlin juggled. I didn't know whether to respond with :eek: or :rolleyes: that his Merlin knowledge was so weak!

Oh and by the way (I am still ill - you might be able to tell by my bored ramblings!) my daughter drew Merlin yesterday. Wonderful pencil sketch. Only she made him look like Leonard Nimoy as Spock! :eek::eek:
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Series 4 is my favourite, then S3. There's some cracking episodes in S4 which really start to touch on the legends properly.
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's ok then. I thought you were implying all the remainder was rubbish.

I don't really need to watch to be reminded of the quality of most episodes (though I have NEVER rewatched the middle episodes of S5 so I might be in for some pleasant (?) surprises there. Then again, I am not an idiot, I can still remember back to last year, and I doubt I will be pleasantly surprised :mad:) But those episodes aside, I have rewatched all the series of Merlin so much, I have a pretty good memory of each one.

Actually, my kids were mocking me and calling me a weird obsessive geek yesterday because I could pinpoint any episode. By which I mean, my son asked me which episode Gwaine first appeared in and I instantly said 3:04 - and could then do that for every single episode they named. :o Then we were watching the S4 2 part opener and my son asked wasn't this the episode Merlin juggled. I didn't know whether to respond with :eek: or :rolleyes: that his Merlin knowledge was so weak!

Oh and by the way (I am still ill - you might be able to tell by my bored ramblings!) my daughter drew Merlin yesterday. Wonderful pencil sketch. Only she made him look like Leonard Nimoy as Spock! :eek::eek:
    BIB-It is. :p:p:p (kind of joking; I think S4 and 5 are pretty rubbish, although 4 is watchable, but obviously it's all subjective)

I could probably do the thing you were doing with your kids. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked series 4.. it was series 5 I had a problem with :mad::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked series 4.. it was series 5 I had a problem with :mad::(

I might have liked S5 if they had radically changed the end of Ep 13. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might have liked S5 if they had radically changed the end of Ep 13. :)

I agree. Merlin should of died not Arthur ;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Merlin should of died not Arthur ;):D:D

:rolleyes:

That wasn't quite the ending I had in mind! ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of Merlin and Arthur running away together to set up a love nest for themselves and all the knights somewhere hidden in the Valley of the Fallen Kings. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't be watching tonight as about to head out - been to Poole to sell the Jaaaaag

Looks like the weather will be keeping us in tomorrow, so will watch Episode 3 then :)
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm so far behind with this re-watch it's ridiculous. I think I'm nearly a whole series behind now (the last one I got up to was S3 E6). :eek: Got no idea when I'm going to watch all these episodes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just watching 4x01, this really was Merlin at its peak. It just makes me a bit sad that Lancelot doesn't last longer, his opening exchange with Merlin is brilliant, its so nice for Merlin to have an ally who encourages his mischievious side, rather than just Gaius.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope nobody minds me posting out of date comments but this first episode has so much to talk about in it!

Love the scene with Merlin and the Calyx in the dining hall, properly chilling.

I've been to this village (Cosmeston), but when I went it was full of reinactors and archaeologists, rather than ghosts!

The screams could so easily have sounded cheesy and OTT but they are an integral part of what makes them so scary, very well done.

The show still manages to keep the humour though, the perfect balance between horror and family entertainment.

The scene with Arthur and Merlin jumping at shadows shows the fantastic relationship that Merlin and Arthur have, they genuinely care for each other. This is the Merthur that I love (none of the slash nonsense).

Don't really see the point in Percival's "World's strongest man" demonstration!

Albion :rolleyes:

Gwen's a bit heartless asking Lancelot to look after Arthur, she could have asked any of the knights but she had to rub it in that she chose Arthur over him.

Another Arthur/Merlin heart to heart, I'm glad that in the end Arthur does find out how many times Merlin has saved his life, just a shame it didn't happen sooner.

I think you can tell that I rather like this episode! Now off to watch Atlantis, not the best idea to watch such a good Merlin episode immediately before a show still finding its feet!
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope nobody minds me posting out of date comments but this first episode has so much to talk about in it!

Don't really see the point in Percival's "World's strongest man" demonstration!

Gwen's a bit heartless asking Lancelot to look after Arthur, she could have asked any of the knights but she had to rub it in that she chose Arthur over him.
    !

I definitely don't mind "out of date" comments (if such a thing is possible here) as I am several weeks behind and this is the episode I'm up to too. In fact, I may try and watch it tonight now. :)

I don't really remember what this is episode was about, but I agree about Gwen being heartless with Lancelot - she could have asked Merlin, her friend, or Elyan, her brother. But no, she asks the ex instead. Awkward!

As for Percival's world's strongest man deomstration - is that the scene where he rescues the kids? If so, I totally see the point in that! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Razzylew wrote: »

As for Percival's world's strongest man deomstration - is that the scene where he rescues the kids? If so, I totally see the point in that! ;)

I think quite a few people here will completely agree with you but Percival really doesn't do anything for me. Slightly too much muscle and too little hair!
    It was a nice demonstration of the selfless nobility of knights. He's a big softy really!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think quite a few people here will completely agree with you but Percival really doesn't do anything for me. Slightly too much muscle and too little hair!
    It was a nice demonstration of the selfless nobility of knights. He's a big softy really!

I was thinking something similar about the opening (I'm only 5 minutes in to the episode!). The scene with Gwaine and Percival stealing food from the kitchen is really great for showing that Percival is a bit mischievous and has some personality. To be honest after the series 3 finale, and given his stature, I expected him to be written as a bland, stoic character only there as the muscle (lets face it, they're not against writing stereotypical, 1 dimensional characters in this show) So to have that tiny scene was a bit of fun, but was a relief for his character.

And then it was followed up by the little scene with Lancelot and Merlin with Arthur's shirt, and again the characters are relaxed, Lancelot has a little smile and seems amused, and its just a nice happy atmosphere in the castle. It almost shows Merlin's own personal golden age - he's finally surrounded by friends, his own age, and life looks good.

I really like the start of this episode, especially baring in mind that when it aired it was the start of a new year of Merlin. Its a nice upbeat setting.

Maybe I'll stop watching now and pretend that's the show finished happily ever after ;) Except I can't because Leon and Elyan are in peril having just encountered Morgana. Damn.
  • HorizonHorizon Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just watching 4x01, this really was Merlin at its peak. It just makes me a bit sad that Lancelot doesn't last longer, his opening exchange with Merlin is brilliant, its so nice for Merlin to have an ally who encourages his mischievious side, rather than just Gaius.
    I agree it was a nice dynamic between the two and different from the Merlin/Arthur relationship. At least we can watch "Lancelot" next in the Muscateers.

By the way Dracula with Merlin's Katie McGrath is available from all good outlets....:) and as before, she still can't act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree. This episode is almost as good as the series 3 finale. It shows real promise of the show stepping up a notch. I do like series 4 but I don't think it managed to live up to the promise of this episode. There's a good plot, and lots of nice character moments in between. It was a good start for the knights I thought which I don't think they utilised as well later on. Like so many character, especially Gwen, the writers seem to not know what to do with them half the time and then suddenly remember them. I was surprised how much Percival there was in this episode actually. He seemed to get the most to do along with Lancelot.
    Albion :rolleyes:
    That scene explains why there was no Golden Age in the end - Merlin said he needs to sacrifice himself to save Albion, but he doesn't. Lancelot screwed everything up! :D