Options

The Strain US Pace Season 1

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Now that was very good, and how you make a first episode.

Dark and brooding. I liked the bit with the creature and the head bashing, and the bit in the mortuary.

This is definitely one to watch.

Comments

• Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a little slow, but then realized that it was actually like a 90 minute episode. It was good, I'm interested in their mythology and physiology, which I've read is sure to be explored, can't wait for the next episode!
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Got some potential this. As above, will be interesting to see the mythology behind this.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it - reminded me a lot of Lifeforce, though lacking Mathilda May's "talents" of course and obviously closely reminiscent of Dracula with the plane replacing the Demeter

Could be fun and nice to have proper evil vampires without brooding lovesick teenagers :)
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it, what's with they crazy eyes?
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a decent opener. Bit cheesy. The acting was quite bad. A little cliched at times.

And it felt like they were trying to make Eph seem cool or unique in some way, but it failed miserably. Oooh he drinks milk, what a card! And what's with that full head of hair?

This has "guilty pleasure" written all over it.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it looking forward to the next episode
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the Master, he was a bit too Voldemort for me.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    One bit that made me cringe was the geek going "wow, planes are like big houses with wings"

Other than that this could be a really good show. The plane scene reminded me of Fringe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One bit that made me cringe was the geek going "wow, planes are like big houses with wings"

Yes I didn't understand why they needed that bit.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Got some potential this. As above, will be interesting to see the mythology behind this.

Yes, it's everything that True Blood isn't. I do hope they hang on to the darkness of this show, and portray the creatures as well as they did in this first one. The only negative, as mentioned above, was the ATC blokie being childish about planes he would see every day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    To me, it felt like an updated version of the Salem's Lot tv show - it just needed James Mason. It almost featured a Ralph Glick moment at the end.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicely done first episode, very well paced, nothing really wrong with it as it set up the story perfectly well .....

and it does the usual "throw a few bits to the audience" too, maybe keep that
    elevator reveal
    to that end shot?

well worth the time
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed it tho I did think the milk thing was odd
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they'll follow the books, as the first one was fantastic but the follow ups went a bit wobbly.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad acting and terrible dialogue, the only thing missing was a canned laughter track.
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed it tho I did think the milk thing was odd

If memory serves, this is covered in the books as (spoilered just in case it's covered later in the season)
    He's a recovering alcoholic and has replaced one addiction with another. Don't think the reason why 'milk' was ever explained. Except maybe that it creates it an interesting (?) correlation between the vampires drinking our fluids to survive and Eph drinking the fluids of another animal to 'survive' in another way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG his penis fell off. nuff said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG his penis fell off. nuff said.
    What's more worrying is that he didn't seem to care. Just flushed it away! :o
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this series so far, but am very glad they CDC team have finally seen a "vampire" in action, I was afraid they'd spend most of the season not believing anything supernatural was happening. Yes, it's all a bit obvious, and the first thing you'd come up with if you were asked to update the Dracula story and vampire mythology, but there's enough interesting stuff in there to keep me watching...

I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference is between the survivors from the plane and the reanimated-dead, at the moment there doesn't seem to be much between them... and what does the pest-controller have to do with anything? I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the latino gang-member/van-driver either...

And yes, the rockstar's p*nis dropping off was a very weird bit... what will happen to the female survivor, will her ladybits "heal up"? :)
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I'm half in, half out with this show. The potential is there, just a lot of deadwood that could do with being dropped, especially the lead CDC guy's family.

I'm finding the pest control guy the most interesting part of the show, and I suspect that shouldn't be the case ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    I'm half in, half out with this show. The potential is there, just a lot of deadwood that could do with being dropped, especially the lead CDC guy's family.

I'm finding the pest control guy the most interesting part of the show, and I suspect that shouldn't be the case ;)

Yes I do wish shows wouldn't add unnecessary personal stuff to try to get us to identify with the lead character.

I don't really care if he is trying to keep his son or not, and it is obvious he puts his job a head of his son.

Too many shows do this and it is just a distraction from the main story.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Yes I do wish shows wouldn't add unnecessary personal stuff to try to get us to identify with the lead character.

I don't really care if he is trying to keep his son or not, and it is obvious he puts his job a head of his son.

Too many shows do this and it is just a distraction from the main story.

If it follows the first book, there is a very important reason for the family to be involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yes, the rockstar's p*nis dropping off was a very weird bit...
    I'm curious how he's now expected to pee...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'm curious how he's now expected to pee...

He won't need to pee as the worms will ingest all his food and excrete it by other means.

He also doesn't need to have sex now as the species doesn't replicate that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He won't need to pee as the worms will ingest all his food and excrete it by other means.
    Granted.
    He also doesn't need to have sex now as the species doesn't replicate that way.
    Replicate? Are these Vampires Technological all of a sudden?

Reproduce is what you mean, surely? :p ;-)