Panasonic DMP-BD81

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got this Panasonic DMP-BD81 a gift from my girlfriend, can anyone tell me if the Wireless LAN Adaptor DY-WL5 comes with it or is Optional. I have only wifi in my home as the my BT HH4 is in another room.

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    According to reviews online the dongle is optional.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Panasonic themselves the WiFi adapter is optional

Under WiFi in Networking
    Capable with Optional Adaptor*8

Note 8
    *8 With the purchase of Wireless LAN Adaptor DY-WL5

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd/dmp-bd81eb.specs.html
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where can i get one of these Adapters cheapest possible.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Where can i get one of these Adapters cheapest possible.

I would suggest homeplugs or if you want wireless something like http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-150mbps-universal-wifi-range-extender-8S6Q.html?src=2 . The Panasonic dongle seems very expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not to sure you can use homeplugs it just has a usb port on the front of the bluray player and that for the Lan adapter, ive seen the adapter online priced for £40 so may have to buy it.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not to sure you can use homeplugs it just has a usb port on the front of the bluray player and that for the Lan adapter, ive seen the adapter online priced for £40 so may have to buy it.

According to the manual it has an ethernet socket on the back next to the HDMI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Bluray player is in a seperate room to my router looks as if i will purchase the adapter, my girlfriend feels a bit bad because she brought the bluray player and wasnt aware the adapter was optional.
  • BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Bluray player is in a seperate room to my router looks as if i will purchase the adapter, my girlfriend feels a bit bad because she brought the bluray player and wasnt aware the adapter was optional.

Oh no, she shouldn't feel bad after being so nice as to buy you that!

Unfortunately it's far too common that devices like this do not have wifi as standard and the sneaky manufacturers fail to point out that you don't need to buy their overpriced product - there are plenty of generic adaptors that will do the same job for less than half the price.

Homeplugs would also work well.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That is a very poor suggestion. They are bad technology which cause interference to other users of the RF spectrum.

Good.
    Just run an ethernet cable between the two rooms. The OP wanted cheapest as possible and ethernet cable is as cheap as it gets.

Can't you read? Or are you just stupid?

The OP wanted the cheapest wireless connection. Which does not involve running ethernet cable through rooms. Or leaving doors open. Or drilling holes. Or replastering. Or repapering. Got it yet?

As homeplugs are much cheaper than the official Wifi adapter, that is the cheapest option.

There's a Ethernet connector on the back, which can be connected to the homeplug.

In fact, you may be better off with the homeplug option, as your player has only one USB port, so if you use the Wireless adapter, you won't be able to connect USB memory sticks etc. at the same time.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That is a very poor suggestion. They are bad technology which cause interference to other users of the RF spectrum. Just run an ethernet cable between the two rooms. The OP wanted cheapest as possible and ethernet cable is as cheap as it gets.

You're slipping, it took you 3 days to get here.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,432
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »

Yes, but he's still spouting the same old lies :D
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

He has probably been busy researching his PhD thesis - a study of Homeplug chirping. He will soon be telling you who made your adapter and when, just by standing outside your front door and listening in on his shortwave radio.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    He has probably been busy researching his PhD thesis - a study of Homeplug chirping. He will soon be telling you who made your adapter and when, just by standing outside your front door and listening in on his shortwave radio.

I remember picking up radio interference from a Commodore 64 in the next room - you could tell when keys were being pressed, or if the tape was running ;-)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,432
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    He has probably been busy researching his PhD thesis - a study of Homeplug chirping.

Obviously not - his inability to communicate accurately and intelligibly would preclude him from gaining a PhD place :p

His technique of 'just making things up' might be fine for tabloid journalism, but not for a PhD :D