Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2009-2010

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Did anyone listen to David Pleat and Alan Green yesterday? I thought they were going to fight at one point, really did not seem to be getting on well.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good news about Nigel Adderley - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8291167.stm

Sounds like he's on the mend and shall be back behind the mic on Match of the Day, The Football League Show, Five Live or Sports Extra a week on Saturday after the international break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone agree with me that it would be a good move for talkSPORT to try to land commentary rights on this weekend's Ukraine v England game, given the TV situation?

At the moment, anyone wanting to follow the game is faced with the choice of watching it (either legally via payment or illegally via potentially poor quality streams) online or listening to it on Five Live.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who won't be able to watch the match online and doesn't fancy the prospect of having to listening to Alan Green commentating on an England game.

So, it could be the perfect opportunity for talkSPORT to see if they can snap up non-exclusive rights to an England game (which is not to say they would need to send a team to the Ukraine at the last minute, as they could cover the match off-tube) and snap up a fair few new listeners in the process.

If they find they are not able to purchase the rights for whatever reason, then alternatively they could cover the game "unofficially" (like they did with Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002), citing the unusual marketplace established by the right sellers Kentaro, who apparently rejected bids from TV broadcasters, as their reason for doing so.

I know talkSPORT's unofficial football commentaries got a lot of flack in the past - although I personally felt they were entirely justified in doing them, seeing how their bids to acquire official rights to the aforementioned tournaments were flat out rejected due to their non-membership of the EBU - but I don't think many rival broadcasters would be brazen enough to criticise them for doing this in this instance, seeing as the BBC, ITV and Sky haven't been able to purchase TV rights.

Either way, I think it would be a good idea for talkSPORT to do commentary of some sort on the Ukraine game - with them perhaps making a virtue of how they offer a different service (and commentators!) to that of the BBC, in this rare instance where otherwise Five Live will be many people's only option when it comes to following an England game.

I know I've poked a potential hornet's nest here - but what does everyone else think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 5th October

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting The Football Phone-In from the Mailbox, followed by Rob Gurney with WM Sport at Villa Park

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Dan Wheeler and Rob Gurney (commentary)

Speedway: Elite League Play-Offs Grand Final First Leg
    Wolverhampton Wolves v Swindon Robins - Richard Wilford

BRMB

Tom Ross hosting The Goal Zone from Villa Park

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Tom Ross and Pat Herd (commentary)

talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Kick-Off: Monday Night Football alongside Stan Collymore, Kia Joorabchian and Neil Ashton from the News of the World

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Ian Danter
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales Sport (Saturday)

Steve James host

Watford V Cardiff City - Rob Phillips and Nathan Blake (SE FM / Digital)
    Jackland V Queens Park Rangers - Iain Gwyn Hughes and Ian Walsh (SW FM)
    Wrexham V Salisbury Town - Ian Hunt and Kevin Ratcliffe (North FM / Online)
    Newport County V Bath City - Kate Jones
    Bryntirion Athletic v Aberystwyth Town - Jeremy Davis (Welsh Cup 2nd round)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers V Portsmouth - Jason Perry
    Ebbw Vale V Llanelli (Principality Premiership RU) - Pete Shephard
    Pontypool V Cardiff (Principality Premiership RU) - Phil Steele
    Horse racing from Newmarket - Ali Rowle
    Alfred Dunhill Links Championship 2009 (European PGA Golf) at St Andrews, Carnoustie & Kingsbarns - Nick Dye (was via phone due to media centre failing a safety certificate)

BBC Radio Cymru

Eleri Sion host from Llandaff

Watford V Cardiff City - Gareth Blainey and Iwan Roberts (part commentary)
    Jackland V Queens Park Rangers - Dylan Ebenezer (also hosting) with commentary from John Hardy and Meilir Owen
    Wrexham V Salisbury Town - Dylan Griffiths
    Llanfair P.G V Rhyl Town (Welsh Cup 2nd round) - Gethin Morris Williams
    Penrhyncoch V Porthmadog (Welsh Cup 2nd round) - Alwyn Parry Griffiths
    Hull City V Wigan Athletic - Glyn Griffiths
    Ebbw Vale V Llanelli (Principality Premiership RU) - Pete Shephard
    Newport Gwent Dragons V Connact (Magners Celtic League RU) - Keith Davies
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aston Villa v Man City
    BBC Manchester: Ian Cheeseman & Fred Eyre
    Magic 1152AM/Key 103 DAB: Mark Scott (I think) & Andy Hinchcliffe
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live

Hosted by Arlo White at Villa Park

Aston Villa v Man City - Alistair Bruce-Ball, Steve Claridge & John Motson
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to BRMB's commentary tonight and something came up that might be of interest to some on here.

During the first half, Tom Ross mentioned in a roundabout sort of way that he would be in South Africa for the World Cup.

It came in the context of a conversation about how BRMB and Gold would be covering every game involving Villa from now through to May, to which Pat Herd mentioned the World Cup, asking if he "was going too", to which Tom made a nod suggesting he would be out in South Africa.

Sorry but I can't remember the exact exchange, I'd be clearer if I could.

I'm not sure if his World Cup trip will be on a work or purely social basis, but if we are to assume it is for work - I wonder if he'll be there specifically for BRMB and the Midland Gold stations, or more widely for stations across the Gold/Global Radio network?

If he is to be Gold's commentator/reporter on England games at the 2010 World Cup, I think he is a sensible choice - he is probably the most accomplished, well known and experienced commentator currently with the Gold network.

In the past, Tom has missed out on covering major international tournaments for Gold since 1998, as I believe he hosted Capital Gold Birmingham's (as it was) opt-out breakfast show for a number of years and so would have been required as a presenter on that, unlike other commentators used on the network at the time.

His situation has changed since the station's rebrand and now he hosts The Sports Bar in the evenings - a show which it is clearly not as imperative for him to host, given that Joe Holt will step in for him whenever he's doing a midweek commentary, which I imagine will be the case during the summer if what I heard is correct.
  • Options
    JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this article suggests that talkSPORT have exclusive UK commercial radio commentary rights for next year's World Cup:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/938541/TalkSport-wins-exclusive-deal-cover-2010-FIFA-World-Cup/

So it's unlikely Tom Ross will be doing anything more than reports from South Africa and it's unlikely he'll form any part of Global Radio's coverage.

Global are more likely to do some sort of deal with Sportsmedia for the World Cup, as they currently provide sports bulletins to the Gold network.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamsky wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to David Pleat and Alan Green yesterday? I thought they were going to fight at one point, really did not seem to be getting on well.

I just got (and always have done previously) annoyed at Pleat's pronounciation of names - Yossi Benayoun was called Benanoon by Pleat every time he mentioned him.

Surely someone who is a summariser and has football running through his blood should be able to say the surnames correctly.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,568
    Forum Member
    I may have missed the post but did anybody catch Saturday's IRN reporters please?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds
    Host: Gareth Jones

(92.4, 95.3 and 102.7 FM)
    Chesterfield verses Huddersfield Town
    Commentator: Paul Ogdon
    Summariser: Kieran O'Regan

(103.9 FM, 774 AM and online)
    Leeds United verses Darlington
    Coverage: Adam Pope and Andy Richie
    Bradford City verses Notts County
    Coverage: Nick Hatton

Yorkshire Radio (DAB) and 104.7 Minster FM
    Leeds United verses Darlington
    Host: Michael Weadock
    Commentator: Thom Kirwin
    Summariser: Eddie Gray

Pennine FM
    Chesterfield verses Huddersfield Town
    Coverage: Matt and Kieran

Notes

For the first time this season, the Pulse could not do commentary of either Huddersfield Town or Bradford City while both were playing at the same time, because they can only do Huddersfield Town home matches, and Bradford City away matches.
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnstone's Paint Trophy

BBC Manchester
    Bury v Tranmere: Ian Cheeseman (Updates during "Manchester Reloaded")

BBC Merseyside
    Bury v Tranmere: Derek Jones (Commentary)

BBC Stoke
    Port Vale v Stockport: John Acres (1-22), Matt Sandos (23-45) & Mick Cullerton (Commentary)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO SOLENT

Southampton v Torquay (FM comm) - Kris Temple (host) & Dave Merrington
    Northampton v Bournemouth (Dorset comm) - Paul Scott & John Williams
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamSir wrote: »
    Well, this article suggests that talkSPORT have exclusive UK commercial radio commentary rights for next year's World Cup:

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/938541/TalkSport-wins-exclusive-deal-cover-2010-FIFA-World-Cup/

So it's unlikely Tom Ross will be doing anything more than reports from South Africa and it's unlikely he'll form any part of Global Radio's coverage.

Global are more likely to do some sort of deal with Sportsmedia for the World Cup, as they currently provide sports bulletins to the Gold network.

Ah yes - that was posted on here a few weeks back, as was a press release about Sportsmedia's planned coverage for South Africa 2010.

I think it's most probable that Tom, should he be working at the World Cup, will be recording "atmosphere pieces" (with interviews with travelling fans, similar to what Ian Abrahams does on talkSPORT) for The Sports Bar and various shows on BRMB (like their breakfast show etc), and possibly for other shows throughout the Global network too.

That, or he could be used in an "our man in the England camp" type role - I remember Mark Scott (then of Capital in London) reporting from the England camp on the 2006/07 Ashes tour for The Sports Bar, while not filing reports on the actual Test matches themselves, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Also - would be it be inconceivable to think Sportsmedia might use Tom as one of their match reporters at the tournament?

Forgive my ignorance, but do Sportsmedia usually provide reporters at football games, and if so, who would they normally use?

I say all this in the assumption that Tom will actually be out there in a working capacity, and doesn't just fancy spending a few weeks off in South Africa this summer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 5 Live seem to be taking advantage of the Internet only TV rights for the Ingerlund V Ukraine WC2010 qualifier this Saturday:-
    BBC Radio 5 Live is the place to get free-to-air commentary of England's World Cup 2010 qualifying match against Ukraine on Saturday 10 October

So any other times I have listened to games involving England I should have paid for the pleasure then?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it isn't free as you've paid your licence fee. I think 5Live are just using some marketing/PR, they are the only place that are not demanding an extra fee for coverage of the game (other than illegal streams)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »

Thanks for posting that 4-4-2 - very interesting and IMO quite encouraging news.

I remember UTV Radio cried foul at the time the most recent FA Cup deal was signed, last year I think, but since then things had fallen silent as evidently the BBC Trust were looking into it.

Reading the articles, and I think UTV, Scott Taunton and Moz Dee have come out of this very well - as rather than screaming blue murder at the BBC as previous station bosses would have done, they've simply thanked the BBC Trust for their findings and have set out their plans to move forward with the BBC, rather than waging war against them.

I found Moz Dee's comments in that Times article particularly telling - talking about his (IMO very sensible) intention to land shared rights with the BBC rather than vying for exclusivity with them.

From both the point of view of the radio stations and the listeners, surely this would be a good thing - both Five Live and talkSPORT would be required to spend less of their budget on rights, while listeners will have an increased choice of commentaries.

Between 1998/99 and 2001/02, this kind of deal existed when the FA sold full non-exclusive rights to the FA Cup and England internationals to both Five Live and talkSPORT, meaning both stations could broadcast as many games as they liked regardless of what the other were doing, and IMO it was an excellent scenario for all concerned (except, I suspect, the FA themselves who can make more money out on an exclusive deal).

Anyone know why this all changed in 2002/03? When it did I'm sure I read claims that it was the BBC, rather than the FA, who requested exclusivity, which if true is pretty reprehensible IMO.

Hopefully these findings might see changes in the way BBC Radio approach football rights auctions, meaning more non-exclusive deals serving both BBC and commercial stations, and less expenditure of license fee payer's money on acquiring rights.

That way, everyone (bar the rights sellers) wins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 9th October

Gold 990AM (Black Country)/1152AM (Birmingham)/1359AM (Coventry)/1017AM (Shropshire)

The Football Phone-In with Tom Ross and Tony Butler

UEFA Under-21 Championship Qualifying Group 9
    England v FYR Macedonia - Joe Holt

A bizarre one here, Gold's Football Phone-In airs between 6-7pm, before reverting to networked programming - so Joe was only called upon to file a match preview at 6.45pm and that, apparently, is it.

talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Matchday Live Preview alongside Matt Holland and Matt Scott from the Guardian

UEFA Under-21 Championship Qualifying Group 9
    England v FYR Macedonia - Graham Beecroft

Some early confirmation of talkSPORT's reporters for tomorrow's internationals:

Mike Bovill is in Dnipropetrovsk to report on Ukraine v England. David Brady will be at Croke Park for the Republic of Ireland v Italy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    FRIDAY

BBC RADIO SOLENT

Kris Temple hosting from studio

Southend v Southampton (FM comm) - Adam Blackmore & Dave Merrington
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve May reported on the Ingerlund V FYR Macedonia U21 Qualifier for R5L.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A request going into the weekend - once again, I won't be able to provide any commentary/reporters details on Saturday, as I will be away (at another wedding!).

So I was wondering if someone could fill in for me as it were by grabbing the info from the stations I usually do.

With it being an international week, none of the Orion Media stations in the Midlands will be airing any coverage, but it would be great if someone could get the details from both talkSPORT and BBC WM.

talkSPORT's football coverage will run between 2-10pm tomorrow, with a Matchday Live Special between 2-7pm with Adrian Durham and Stan Collymore, starting with a League One and Two "Around the Grounds" section before the focus turns to England after 5pm. Danny Kelly takes over at 7pm, with reports from the Republic of Ireland game.

Over on BBC WM, due to the lack of Premier League/Championship action, the station has purchased individual commentary rights to another Walsall game.

MK Dons v Walsall is the focus and the regular Saturday team of Mark Regan and Paul Franks are due to be on commentary duty, with Mick Kearns adding his insight pre-match and at half and full time.

They'll also have reports on games involving various local non-league clubs, including Tamworth v Histon in the Conference Premier, with Mike Taylor filing updates and Jane France interviewing the fans at the Lamb.

WM will also be at Rushall Olympic v Market Drayton in the Unibond League Division One South with Richard Wilford, and at two FA Cup Third Qualifying Round games - Solihull Moors v Redditch United and Stourbridge v Hucknall - but unfortunately their Big Pie newsletter doesn't stretch as far as naming the reporters at these games.

If someone can confirm/add to the WM details, plus find out if they are taking reports on the later England game (as they often do, although didn't for the last Saturday England game v Slovenia), it would be much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    I'll do talkSPORT, if I can be bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    I'll do talkSPORT, if I can be bothered.

Thanks for that (should you muster up the energy. ;):p).