Options

Should families of military personnel who commit suicide receive a sympathy letter?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They don't in America from the President. Or here I believe, from the Prime Minister.

I'm inclined to think that they should.

Comments

• Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they should
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No they shouldn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the fact that they don't shows they don't actually care about soldiers. All they care about is "heroes" because they make good propaganda for their illegal wars.

As far as I am concerned there are no heroes, only victims.
  • Options
    David ®David ® Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think that they should.

It is something I have never thought about. Can you explain further why you think they should?

My first thought would be no, as the suicide would be a personal act and nothing to do with the military.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    No they shouldn't.

If one of my employees took their own life I would send a sympathy card to his/her partner or family. What would make the MOD above any of this ? ( silly question, the civilians who deal with such things and behave as though they are more hard done by than serving soldiers )

An employee is an employee , killed in the line of duty or death by natural causes or suicide whilst in employment is worthy of a sympathy card to the relatives, its a sign of respect, to at least the family even if you didn't know or like the employee.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If one of my employees took their own life I would send a sympathy card to his/her partner or family. What would make the MOD above any of this ? ( silly question, the civilians who deal with such things and behave as though they are more hard done by than serving soldiers )

An employee is an employee , killed in the line of duty or death by natural causes or suicide whilst in employment is worthy of a sympathy card to the relatives, its a sign of respect, to at least the family even if you didn't know or like the employee.

So any government employee, be it teacher, bin man or soldier should have a personal letter of sympathy from the PM to their family if they CHOOSE to top themselves?

Sillyness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David ® wrote: »
    It is something I have never thought about. Can you explain further why you think they should?

My first thought would be no, as the suicide would be a personal act and nothing to do with the military.

I think that it should be recognised that war and serving in the military is a very, very difficult endeavour. Too difficult for some, which is why they take their lives. I still think their service (however short) should be recognised.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    I think that it should be recognised that war and serving in the military is a very, very difficult endeavour. Too difficult for some, which is why they take their lives. I still think their service (however short) should be recognised.

The problem is that writing to suicide victims doesn't look good for politicians, since it opens up a can of worms regarding why the soldiers committed suicide in the first place.

Writing to dead "heroes" will win you lots of brownie points with the electorate. Writing to victims of suicide doesn't.

If it was really about recognizing service then I fully agree with you. They should all have that recognized.
  • Options
    83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are soldiers the only people in Britain who work hard?

Why shouldn't the families of a car mechanic not receive a sympathy letter?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    So any government employee, be it teacher, bin man or soldier should have a personal letter of sympathy from the PM to their family if they CHOOSE to top themselves?

Sillyness.

I didn't say the PM I said in the case of a soldier the MOD their employer.

And no to have your employer send your family a sympathy card when you die is not sillyness its called respect .

As for topping themsleves, what if work pressures drove them to it ?
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really know why anyone gets a sympathy letter from the PM, I doubt it makes them feel much better. From the Army, sure. But as long as some people get them, I think anyone who dies in service should get them.

Anyway, some suicides do get them - those who manifest their suicidalness by jumping in front of enemy guns or tanks, or not retreating when they should, or whatever.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    What does The Sun say... they are the arbiters of public opinion and morality aren't they?
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PM should personally go to the families of all dead people to commiserate with them. That should keep him busy enough not to have any time left over for ****ing up the country.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    83ray1 wrote: »
    Are soldiers the only people in Britain who work hard?

Why shouldn't the families of a car mechanic not receive a sympathy letter?

Car mechanics are not often driven to suicide by the stress of the job, nor are they acting on behalf of the country in circumstances not of their making.
    But no, they need not recieve a sympathy letter from on high, though doubtless they would from the C.O. and the others in the squad. I cannot think of anyone I would less like to recieve a sympathy letter from than HM Govt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garcia wrote: »
    The problem is that writing to suicide victims doesn't look good for politicians, since it opens up a can of worms regarding why the soldiers committed suicide in the first place.

Writing to dead "heroes" will win you lots of brownie points with the electorate. Writing to victims of suicide doesn't.

If it was really about recognizing service then I fully agree with you. They should all have that recognized.

Yes, I agree with you.