Options

JACK fm - Hertfordshire

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
Forum Member
Following on from thread: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1256604

I thought I'd open and better titled thread for the new Jack station.

Did anyone hear the launch? It must sound completely different to hertbeat if they play the same music as Oxford & Bristol do.

Comments

• Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the launch was handled really well, but it's not winning good feedback on the 2 Facebook pages unfortunately.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is awful, I can't understand what and why they have done it.
    It will die a death within weeks I'm sure.

Very sad and unfortunate :(:confused::o

I'm sorry I'm really not liking the new format. I totally understand the name change to get away from "Heart" but why such a big change in the playlist I have been listening since 10 am and I have had to turn off now, and I don't think I will be tuning in again. It's a big shame as you were truly so much better than Heart, playing current and new stuff they didn't play and a huge selection of classics from the 80's and 90's. Unlike the handful of same songs and artists they stuck to.

Very bizarre :confused:
    Now all you seem to be playing is soft rock and some lesser well known 80's and a dash of 90's with the very, very odd current tune?.

And no DJ's whats all that about.
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard the changeover.

If you ask me Steve Folland didn't sound quite as convinced/overjoyed as he was making out.

If I want to listen to non stop music I'll listen to my ipod and skip the ads thanks.

This is a real shame and a nailed on listener loser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    I heard the changeover.

If you ask me Steve Folland didn't sound quite as convinced/overjoyed as he was making out.

If I want to listen to non stop music I'll listen to my ipod and skip the ads thanks.

This is a real shame and a nailed on listener loser.

Yes exactly, I'll be listening to my iPod and cd's

Heartbeat was about the only radio station left worth listening to
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one left now worth listening to is Wave 105
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    moordown66 wrote: »
    The only one left now worth listening to is Wave 105
    Strangely, I was thinking exactly that, as I tuned in to Wave 105 on my phone on my walk home.
    Well, Wave 105 and Radio Jackie are both good.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a choice between a full service station which may not be making enough money to keep on the presenters, or an automated jukebox which has a full service breakfast and can keep on admin/sales staff, it may have been the only option from handing the licence back to Ofcom.

Also, it finally gives hertbeat a distinctive format over Heart Dunstable and the various London stations, something it was lacking yesterday.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happen to like to new station, and glad I can now listen to a Jack station at home on FM. I think its a smart move since 'Heart' & 'Hertbeat' may be confused with some people.

The Jack FM format is a successful one and will need time to bed in with people in Hertfordshire. The main thing is they still have local news, ads, travel and what's-ons. The music is more varied, and I don't mind the presenter less format!
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being only 6 miles south of Hatfield, what is disappointing is that the FM reception is so poor that it's not listenable to.

I would love to listen to Jack in the mornings when getting ready for work, but the only option is via my PC, which isn't always convenient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack needs time to get used to.When it first launched in Oxfodrshire it got very mixed reviews.As Martin Phillip says above,it it means keeping some of the Heartbeat staff on in jobs,rather than handing the licence back,then alone is a good thing.

Trust me,Jack will grow on you.Just give it time.One days broadcasting is too soon to make a decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being only 6 miles south of Hatfield, what is disappointing is that the FM reception is so poor that it's not listenable to.

I would love to listen to Jack in the mornings when getting ready for work, but the only option is via my PC, which isn't always convenient.

What are you using for an aerial? I live between Hemel & Watford and can get Jack fm fine with RDS using an indoor aerial.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    What are you using for an aerial? I live between Hemel & Watford and can get Jack fm fine with RDS using an indoor aerial.

I've noticed that even in the car, once you get a couple of miles south of Hatfield on the A1, the reception drops considerably, however, I've picked the old Hertbeat up well on a walkman in St Albans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    They've only changed the RDS at the transmitter sites. Everything else is the same.

It might be pirate stations interfering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see they have removed all the negative feedback/comments from there Facebook page, how pathetic.

Can they not take the criticism, if people don't like it they don't like it.

Was there any warning about the changes. I was away all last week so I don't know?
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »
    I see they have removed all the negative feedback/comments from there Facebook page, how pathetic.

Can they not take the criticism, if people don't like it they don't like it.

Was there any warning about the changes. I was away all last week so I don't know?

Why is that pathetic? If a comment was posted in a relatively neutral environment (like DS) I might agree. But if you were running, for example, a graden centre and a load of people said on your Facebook page your business sucked, what would you do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is that pathetic? If a comment was posted in a relatively neutral environment (like DS) I might agree. But if you were running, for example, a graden centre and a load of people said on your Facebook page your business sucked, what would you do?

Because it's like they can't take the criticism, obviously everyone who posted these comments are going to know they have been removed.

It will be embarrassing for them once it gets out.

Why don't they reply to the comments thats what most businesses would do not delete or ignore them, that is what I would do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've only changed the RDS at the transmitter sites. Everything else is the same.

It might be pirate stations interfering.

The transmitting aerial for 106.9 is now a few feet higher to get over the tree tops. It has made a difference with a more listenable signal towards Watford.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Ok i was a massive fan of Heartbeat Fm ,Fun , Local well run Radio Station with a mix of 90's Dance Music with a few Classic's thrown in great cheery presenters with some whitty banter ....

Now the change to JACK Fm ...

already noticed ... , Longer Adverts , feels a lot less comunity based now taken over by a 'Company' , really really really Cheesey Jingles rubish chart/pop music and presenters sound well moody now

im actully very upset and angry about this, its an absolute tradgy

my only theory is that it got bought out at an offer they couldnt reffuse sad times
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok i was a massive fan of Heartbeat Fm ,Fun , Local well run Radio Station with a mix of 90's Dance Music with a few Classic's thrown in great cheery presenters with some whitty banter ....

Now the change to JACK Fm ...

already noticed ... , Longer Adverts , feels a lot less comunity based now taken over by a 'Company' , really really really Cheesey Jingles rubish chart/pop music and presenters sound well moody now

im actully very upset and angry about this, its an absolute tradgy

my only theory is that it got bought out at an offer they couldnt reffuse sad times

Jack FM is still owned by Shadow Radio Holdings limited who operated hertbeat FM.

All that has happened is they've become a Jack franchise where for a fee they can use the Jack format, branding and imaging from ARI Consultancy who own the brand in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Jack FM is still owned by Shadow Radio Holdings limited who operated hertbeat FM.

All that has happened is they've become a Jack franchise where for a fee they can use the Jack format, branding and imaging from ARI Consultancy who own the brand in the UK.

like i said it was only a theory ,

its now changed format so the station has changed , tottaly go's against why offcom issued comunity licence's for in the first place ??

why change it to Jack Fm which isnt local ?? its should be called Joke Fm
  • Options
    Rabbit RabbitRabbit Rabbit Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be the pedant...
    Ok i was a massive fan of Heartbeat Fm ,

it was hertbeat fm, no capital "H", no "a", no capital "F"
    its now changed format so the station has changed , tottaly go's against why offcom issued comunity licence's for in the first place ??

It wasn't one of the "community" stations.

Correct, that's what is supposed to do to comply with the OFCOM parameters for the coverage area. Shame but there you go... South of Hatfield Tunnel was always in the shade. Signal wise of course.
    Radio Lion wrote: »
    Jack needs time to get used to.When it first launched in Oxfodrshire it got very mixed reviews.As Martin Phillip says above,it it means keeping some of the Heartbeat staff on in jobs,rather than handing the licence back,then alone is a good thing.

Trust me,Jack will grow on you.Just give it time.One days broadcasting is too soon to make a decision.

No capital "H", no "a".....See above.... :-)
    Powerplay wrote: »
    The transmitting aerial for 106.9 is now a few feet higher to get over the tree tops. It has made a difference with a more listenable signal towards Watford.

Has it again?? it changed about 4 years ago when Shadow bought out hertbeat (no capital "H", no "a"...) but it hadn't the other day when I drove past, again the aerial height was set by OFCOM.

I think it was a great shame that hertbeat (no capital "H", no "a") had to be sold from the original company that brought a local radio station to Hertfordshire (capital "H"). But it was either that or no local radio. Again, I think it is a great shame that the last vestiges of a real "local" radio station has now gone to a "brand". But it is still better to have "something" local than nothing. And it is better to be Jack than another format, you know, the one with a capital "H" and an "a".
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was hertbeat fm, no capital "H", no "a", no capital "F"

I don't know if you're joking or what, but as it's the name of something, it's perfectly entitled to have a capital H. Hertbeat FM was it's name.
  • Options
    Rabbit RabbitRabbit Rabbit Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    djgeeza wrote: »
    I don't know if you're joking or what, but as it's the name of something, it's perfectly entitled to have a capital H. Hertbeat FM was it's name.

I understand what you are saying, and it may well be that no-one else cares, but when it started in 2001 it really was hertbeat fm, that's what was on its logo, the lower case "h" was part of it's branding. You can say that it was daft to have it like that if you wish, but herbeat fm was the name, Hertbeat FM was not. It's a bit like saying Manchester Unified, it's nearly right but it's not.

I know that it makes me look vaguely daft to point this out but hey, we all have our little oddities. Have a nice day....

However, I did make one small mistake, Shadow took over in 2005, 5 years ago, not 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it again?? it changed about 4 years ago when Shadow bought out hertbeat (no capital "H", no "a"...) but it hadn't the other day when I drove past, again the aerial height was set by OFCOM.

I noticed the signal had improved slightly a few weeks ago on my tuner, and in the car. I spoke to a member of Hertbeat staff (now ex-staff) who told me that since the aerial was first installed, the trees had grown much taller, so the antenna was raised to compensate. Either that or they chopped a few trees down, but the signal from 106.9 is certainly clearer down my way. If not the antenna height then a power increase? I do know Hertbeat sometimes gets knocked by pirates in the South of their TSA.
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like it or not, I suspect there will be other small stations around the UK that'll be considering buying in the JACK format.

Its main benefit is that it is incredibly cheap to run - you only really need one presenter, one or two journalists (who could be hubbed elsewhere), a boss and a couple of sales people.

It's a radio station in a box, and given the state of many small stations' finances, it's an incredibly tempting proposition, and maybe even their only realistic chance of survival.

Whether it's a viable long-term format remains to be seen but even if it's not, someone will come up with another one that's probably even cheaper.