Petrol duty and VAT rises to add to fuel price pain

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Happy New Year Motorists.
Looming petrol duty and VAT rises are to push record petrol prices higher.

On New Years Day, a government fuel duty increase will put another 0.76p on to both petrol and diesel. And on 4 January, the rise in VAT from 17.5% to 20% will mean another price rise.

The AA estimates that the two increases will add around 3.5p to the cost of a litre of both petrol and diesel.

The average price of unleaded petrol in the UK stands at 124.16p, according to Experian Catalist.

This time last year petrol was at 107.74p a litre and diesel at 109.46p.

Diesel currently costs, on average, 128.35p a litre - some five pence below its record high of July 2008.

BBC News.

Ouch. Will car journeys soon become a 'luxury' for some ?

Comments

• John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Happy New Year Motorists.

BBC News.

On a car with a 60 litre fuel tank capacity, it would have cost £71.34p to fill the tank at 118.9p per litre, to fill the tank at present prices i.e £124.9 would be £74.94, a difference of £3.60 on a full tank full, would suggest it is not a bank breaker for lots of motorists (providing I have done my sums right)
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,945
    Forum Member
    It's only going to get worse. By summer or early autumn I'd expect crude oil to hit $100 a barrel again. If Americas economy starts recovering then the competition bewteen them and China will send the price even higher, and OPEC and the other producers don't show any inclination to stabalise the price with increased production.

I also read this morning that season tickets for the south east railways have went through the £5000 p.a mark. Shocking!!
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    And we'll all still be at the pumps filling our cars.I've never known anyone to give up their car over fuel price increases.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    On a car with a 60 litre fuel tank capacity, it would have cost £71.34p to fill the tank at 118.9p per litre, to fill the tank at present prices i.e £124.9 would be £74.94, a difference of £3.60 on a full tank full, would suggest it is not a bank breaker for lots of motorists (providing I have done my sums right)

It wasnt that long ago I could fill my car (60L) tank up for less that £60, going not that far back even for £50. So at a time when fuel (gas / electric) is up, food is up and wages frozen for most it all adds to the squeeze.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    And we'll all still be at the pumps filling our cars.I've never known anyone to give up their car over fuel price increases.

I would suggest that the majority of motorists won't give up their cars because fuel is expensive, but may perhaps attempt to cut down their use of the car.
  • JonPaulWildJonPaulWild Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »

Your point is made every time the price goes up. What you say is pretty much correct. Motorists will still find money to drive their cars. Public transport is too costly and inefficient for a family use compared to the car.

However, your point assumes a one off rise. What the problem is is that the price is going up pretty much all the time. It's going to add up, and just means a little less to spend elsewhere. Few months in future the price of oil may go up and push prices up even more. Could be more duty rises in the future.

It's a few pounds extra to fill up the car this time round. Next time prices go up it will be a few more pounds then.

VAT needs to be reduced to 5% on fuel and the duty needs to be cut as well.

I still think the actual price of oil minus the tax is very good price for the product. Fact of the matter is the main cost of fuel for vehicles is heavily and unjustifiably taxed to a high level. This will not help the economy and Labour, Tory, Lib Dem and other looney parties don't seem to get that.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The solution is to get a smaller car with a smaller engine.

Obvious I know, but that's the only way to make a saving.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

I did. Gave up driving two years agao as it was just an expensive luxury that I could do with out and don't really miss. Driving is pretty pointless in London anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »

Even though I do support motorists and lower fuel costs. I do feel your idea is a very good one. I don't think there is need to have vehicles with these massive engines when there are alternatives. Smaller engined cars are a very good idea and should be taken up with people in this country.

No need to be driving around in a 2.0 litre engine when you can easily get by in a 1.4 or 1.1 engine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I do support motorists and lower fuel costs. I do feel your idea is a very good one. I don't think there is need to have vehicles with these massive engines when there are alternatives. Smaller engined cars are a very good idea and should be taken up with people in this country.

No need to be driving around in a 2.0 litre engine when you can easily get by in a 1.4 or 1.1 engine.

Whilst I realise that diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded, I have a small diesel engine (1.5), that (according to the on board computer) is doing something in the region of 35-37 mpg on local trips, and in the region of 55-57 mpg on a longish run, would that work out cheaper than a small engined petrol car used on the same basis?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that'll give the bus companies an excuse to hike up the prices of their fares. Not like Stagecoach need any excuse to hike up fares anyhow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I know it will mean higher shop prices I am unable to feel much sympathy for car-drivers on this one - for the most part we are just lazy and / or selfish and don't use those long dangly things which hang off our trunks (legs).

Not many people in cities need cars - this should be a good time to get rid of them
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »

Try:

Switching off at traffic lights / jams etc.

Moderating your speed.

Driving in such a way as to avoid heavy braking.

Switch off the AC unless you're in the Sahara.

And maybe:

If you see a nice long hill and traffic isn't nose to tail, flick the lever into neutral. Go on: live a bit.

There's a great downhill between J9 and J8 on the M25, which I regularly take with engine off in heavy traffic. Not for the faint-hearted, but that's where you hit the fuel companies. It can even IMPROVE road safety if such a driving style is undertaken with good concentration.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent - should get more people walking and on bikes to help our environment. People who drive less than a mile to work who have no reason to do so make my mind boggle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Although I know it will mean higher shop prices I am unable to feel much sympathy for car-drivers on this one - for the most part we are just lazy and / or selfish and don't use those long dangly things which hang off our trunks (legs).

Not many people in cities need cars - this should be a good time to get rid of them

you do need cars even in cities, for some uses there really is no alternative.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    Try:

Moderating your speed.

And maybe:

If you see a nice long hill and traffic isn't nose to tail, flick the lever into neutral. Go on: live a bit.

There's a great downhill between J9 and J8 on the M25, which I regularly take with engine off in heavy traffic. Not for the faint-hearted, but that's where you hit the fuel companies. It can even IMPROVE road safety if such a driving style is undertaken with good concentration.

If you turn the engine off dont your brakes stop working?
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife is a contract cleaner and we live in a rural area-she has to drive anywhere between sixty and eighty miles a day to get to her various jobs and is paid minimum wage, though with a small fuel allowance. The way things are going, she soon will simply not be able to afford to go to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

If you keep pressing the brake pedal eventually the vacuum runs out on the servo, and on my car the steering would be extremely stiff without the engine running
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

At some undetermined point they will lose their power boost. Never really found exactly when - I switch on if I look like having to brake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    salman79uk wrote: »
    you do need cars even in cities, for some uses there really is no alternative.

Not many though - most could do without a car
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,945
    Forum Member
    Try:

Moderating your speed.

And maybe:

Actually in a modern fuel injected engine coasting in gear uses no fuel whatsoever and you still have power steering and full brakes. (obviously no good in stop/start heavy traffic though)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    plenty of people with jobs wont have the option to call it a luxury, unless you class having a job as a luxury now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Not many though - most could do without a car

For a family I think public transport use as primary source of transport is not a good idea. Very costly unless you live in a part of a country in which everything is on your doorstep - job, shops, services etc etc.

Place where I work it isn't that strict, thankfully. So I can get away with turning up late to work when the bus is late. If I want to get a better paid job then I'd have to get a better paid job and thus probs in a stricter work environment and if I was late to work I'd probably get sacked given the public transport around my area.

Products will rise and cost of services go up. Council tax may have to go up to fund extra costs in vehicle fleet, for example. Costs of products will go up, but of course, you being a leftie don't care about such things.

I'd like to see VAT and duty cut on fuel. Companies given incentives to produce and sell more fuel efficient vehicles.

Often people on here talk about the '1mile trips'. In fact, I think majority of people who use cars use it when they do 10+ mile trips, so I don't get that lame argument.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see VAT and duty cut on fuel. Companies given incentives to produce and sell more fuel efficient vehicles.
    but isnt rising petrol prices an incentive for the market to get more petrol effectient cars.

the problem of course is that new cars are expensive, people dont have the £20,000 it will probaly cost to get one of the new cars, the government making them car tax free isnt as helpful as they seem to think.

The humble bicycle is by far the most green vechile, most can afford.
  • hard_to_beathard_to_beat Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try:

Switching off at traffic lights / jams etc. - Especially at rail crossings, where at some you can be waiting more than 10 minutes.

Moderating your speed - Absolutely the number 1 way to reduce fuel comsumption, but I think more or less everyone finds this the hardest thing in a car to do for obvious human reasons.

Driving in such a way as to avoid heavy braking. - Number 2 (see above)

Switch off the AC unless you're in the Sahara. - Agreed, although in freezing conditions it can be quite dangerous not to heat the windows when starting.

And maybe:

If you see a nice long hill and traffic isn't nose to tail, flick the lever into neutral. Go on: live a bit. - I nearly always apply the clutch, but I think you have to be borderline to actually cut off the engine, sorry.

One thing I never got my head round - is there any actual, proven evidence that completely filling up the tank is inefficient, or is that an urban myth? For the record, I always fill up the tank when at the pump.