Need a new router

SansomSansom Posts: 22
Forum Member
Hi, at the moment I have a Belkin54g router but when the Virgin technician came round to install the new super hub he told me I would need a new router as mine is a G series (something like that) and I need an N series to get the full new speed when I get double speed, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Thank you.

Comments

• orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are with Virgin you will never get your full speed. In my experience they are the worst at throttling. When I was with them I had 20Mb and they doubled me FOC to 40Mb and I thought I needed faster again, as it was so slow in comparison to my dads who had 2 Mb. :eek: If you download movies or any large files then you will be throttled. In that case G will be plenty for wireless.

I now have 16Mb with sky and it's so fast, - they don't throttle ever. If you are intending to move huge "Gigabite" files over wireless then N is useful otherwise you wont see the difference if you are just surfing from a laptop. Plug your G router in and test to see. If it's slow move from your provider. It's no use having N if you don't use the actual capacity of G. If you need range (surfing from the bottom of the garden 400m away) then N will help.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    If you are with Virgin you will never get your full speed. In my experience they are the worst at throttling. When I was with them I had 20Mb and they doubled me FOC and I thought I needed faster again, as it was slow slow in comparison to my dads who had 2 Mb. :eek: If you download movies or any large files then you will be throttled. In that case G will be plenty for wireless.

I now have 16Mb with sky and it's so fast, - they don't throttle ever. If you are intending to move huge "Gigabite" files over wireless then N is useful otherwise you wont see the difference if you are just surfing from a laptop. Plug your G router in and test to see. If it's slow move from your provider. It's no use having N if you don't use the actual capacity of G. If you need range (surfing from the bottom of the garden 40m away then N will help.

I have Virgin, just been doubled from 30 to 60... before I was hitting the 31 (always getting the full speed) mark on speedtest, now I'm hitting the 44 mark. I do need a new router, but otherwise it's all good.
    Just because you had a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone will.

To the OP, if you're getting the 60Mb service then you probably will need a new router, I assume you're using your superhub in modem mode only? (Like I am)
    If not then ofc the superhub will handle the new speed without having to use your old router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I...Just because you had a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone will.

True, but why else would you need 60Mb if you aren't supposed to use it whenever you need to ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media

If you read Wikipedia Virgin throttled 75% in 2009 that's when I ditched them. If I am paying for 20 then that's what I expect 24/7 not 5 ( if I was lucky).

As I said you only need N if you find G insufficient in terms of rage or load over wireless.

I have true 12Mb ( might be 16Mb now) and everything is instant. I download at over 1MB per second. I have 3 wireless IP cameras and run 3 wireless computers.

When you talk about 60 Mb I smile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only just been upgraded to 60Mb, so haven't had time to buy a new router yet. If they fixed the bloody superhub software I wouldn't need a new router though :(

I have been on 30Mb for over a year and regularly run speedtests, I very rarely get anything lower than 25Mbs, but it's nearly always at the 30Mbs mark, so I just can't understand your figures. Maybe it's where you live or some other reason.
    Tbh, as it's a free upgrade to 60Mbs, I'm not too fussed about the current speed, it's still way better than 30Mbs and the the odd minute or so in downloading a film isn't really much of a difference.

Agreed on the wireless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have true 12Mb ( might be 16Mb now) and everything is instant. I download at over 1MB per second. I have 3 wireless IP cameras and run 3 wireless computers.

When you talk about 60 Mb I smile.

Why?
    I do know the difference between MB and Mbs.. I also run a NAS and several PC's over the network including two teenagers running their gaming laptops. Whilst it's still only a wireless G network it's more than adequate except for streaming to my media PC in HD.

Oh, just in case...44 Mbs, that's 5.5 MB per second, which makes me smile even more :D
  • SansomSansom Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I have Virgin, just been doubled from 30 to 60... before I was hitting the 31 (always getting the full speed) mark on speedtest, now I'm hitting the 44 mark. I do need a new router, but otherwise it's all good.
    Just because you had a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone will.

To the OP, if you're getting the 60Mb service then you probably will need a new router, I assume you're using your superhub in modem mode only? (Like I am)
    If not then ofc the superhub will handle the new speed without having to use your old router.

Yeh I'm using it in modem mode, I don't want to go wireless for everything in my house and we had some decorating done and the wire that goes from the hub to the router is now behind a new wall (because someone thought that would be a good idea) so its incredibly hard to connect more ethernet cables to the router from the hub.

I was looking at Netgear routers but theres so many I don't know which to choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've been using a belkin, then any Netgear N router will almost certainly be an improvement.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you need a router, superhub is a combined modem and wireless N router.

If you want to add extra connectivity then you need a switch or are you trying to extend your wi-fi range in which case I would look at homeplug WAP though obviously you may experience speed loss.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't understand why you need a router, superhub is a combined modem and wireless N router.

Some people reckon the wireless in the superhub isn't very good. Personally I have been using it for months with no problems.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

this. they are supplying a new router with wireless N.

maybe they said that you would need a new wireless dongle or something to work nicely with the new super hub.
    Forum Member

If you want to add extra connectivity then you need a switch or are you trying to extend your wi-fi range in which case I would look at homeplug WAP though obviously you may experience speed loss.

I dont want to go fully wireless, and I already have a cable going from the hub to my router but when we had some decorating done a couple of years ago someone decided we needed a new wall which said cable is now behind (I was only told this in the last couple of weeks) so it will be hard connecting any other wires.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansom wrote: »
    I dont want to go fully wireless, and I already have a cable going from the hub to my router but when we had some decorating done a couple of years ago someone decided we needed a new wall which said cable is now behind (I was only told this in the last couple of weeks) so it will be hard connecting any other wires.

From what I can work out you don't need a router. I router is a device to connect your public connection to internal network. Your superhub performs this function.

I assume you have an ethernet cable buried in the wall from the room where the superhub is to another room. In the other room, if you want provide wireless then all you need is a wireless access point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?
    I do know the difference between MB and Mbs..Oh, just in case...44 Mbs, that's 5.5 MB per second, which makes me smile even more :D

I think you have misunderstood. I smile at Virgins exaggerated claims.

Virgin might say they give you 60Mb...in reality they don't, not everyday and at every hour, and probably not when you want to use it either. If you do your downloading in the twilight hours then you might get something close.

My advice still stands, no matter what your connection speed is, if you haven't reached the capacity of G then why go to N ?

i.e if you are happy with 54Mb on G and are not using or maxing that capacity then why go to N at 100Mb ?

If you want N for constantly sending huge files across a wireless network then get a cable. Nothing beats the sped of cable and the costs are negligible.

Am I missing something ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Virgin might say they give you 60Mb...in reality they don't, not everyday and at every hour, and probably not when you want to use it either. If you do your downloading in the twilight hours then you might get something close.

My advice still stands, no matter what your connection speed is, if you haven't reached the capacity of G then why go to N ?

i.e if you are happy with 54Mb on G and are not using or maxing that capacity then why go to N at 100Mb ?

If you want N for constantly sending huge files across a wireless network then get a cable. Nothing beats the sped of cable and the costs are negligible.

Am I missing something ?

As you should well know then G can never run at 54mb. There is protocol overhead and encryption (if you have that switched on). Plus is shared up and down and between devices.

N is also not just about speed, it has the potential to increase range and also use multiple channels to improve throughput.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you should well know then G can never run at 54mb. There is protocol overhead and encryption (if you have that switched on). Plus is shared up and down and between devices.

N is also not just about speed, it has the potential to increase range and also use multiple channels to improve throughput.

Yes, nothing ever gives 100% of what's quoted neither does N

Let me make myself clear, If I didn't have a router, and I was buying one for the first time, then I would buy N

What I am saying is, if you have a fully working router that is G and that is sufficient for your wireless usage, then don't wast your money casting it aside and buying an N.

The first thing I would do is hook up my existing G router and make a decision to bin it if

1) I can not connect at the bottom of the garden, or from a far bedroom (if that's where I want to use it)

2) If you get frustrated at 54Mb waiting for a large file transfer and 100Mb seems the holy grail.

I am sure there is a computer / networking section on DS they will give the heads up on the best brand to buy. I don't think they recommend belkin though.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are with Virgin you will never get your full speed.
    How can you say that ?
    I'm with Virgin and on 10mb speed and my results are always just above 10mb at any time of day or night.
    Plenty fast enough for me.

SPEED TEST
    09/05/12 @ 14:45
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The superhub is notorious for it's wi-fi problems. Some people get lucky and get a good one, some people don't. The N wi-fi on my superhub is useless, constant dropouts and piss poor range.

I have a fairly heavy use compared to some households, Two PC's, and X-Box 360 and an NAS connected to the router via ethernet, and One media PC, One PS3, One iPad, two Laptops, one netbook and several phones all connecting via wi-fi. Obviously not all at the same time, but quite often four or five. Quite frankly the superhub doesn't cope very well.
    Also the superhub port-forwarding/static ip settings etc aren't as good as my routers are, so it's just easier for me to use a separate router. Although as mentioned I do need a faster router for HD wi-fi, and wifey won't let me drag a cable across the room for this, plus she seems to think we have too many cables etc already. (No idea why she thinks this)?

As for the speed issue, well I have had no complaints at all about Virgin, my connection has been rock solid and very reliable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member

Am I missing something ?

IMO virgin beat other ISP's by a country mile. We have had VM for the past 9 years odd and they have always been great. We started at 128KB and will soon get 60mb from them. I only notice the speed when downloading stuff and its usually pretty good, most of the time downloads run at the advertised maximum. Infact, I've just done a speed test now - have a look: 1941426231.png
    Forum Member
    The superhub is notorious for it's wi-fi problems. Some people get lucky and get a good one, some people don't. The N wi-fi on my superhub is useless, constant dropouts and piss poor range.

I have a fairly heavy use compared to some households, Two PC's, and X-Box 360 and an NAS connected to the router via ethernet, and One media PC, One PS3, One iPad, two Laptops, one netbook and several phones all connecting via wi-fi. Obviously not all at the same time, but quite often four or five. Quite frankly the superhub doesn't cope very well.
    Also the superhub port-forwarding/static ip settings etc aren't as good as my routers are, so it's just easier for me to use a separate router. Although as mentioned I do need a faster router for HD wi-fi, and wifey won't let me drag a cable across the room for this, plus she seems to think we have too many cables etc already. (No idea why she thinks this)?

As for the speed issue, well I have had no complaints at all about Virgin, my connection has been rock solid and very reliable.

Do you have a specific router to recommend? I also use have quite a heavy internet use with 2 PC's, 2 laptops, 360 and a PS3 and loads of phones everyone in the house have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a specific router to recommend? I also use have quite a heavy internet use with 2 PC's, 2 laptops, 360 and a PS3 and loads of phones everyone in the house have.

Chose your budget and pick one that fits, personally I'll be changing to the Cisco router at the bottom soon.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/3217482/group-test-whats-the-best-wireless-router/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have no need for wired connection then you need a wap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901ND-Advanced-Wireless-Access/dp/B002YETVXC/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1336601441&sr=1-2

If you devices support dual band then have a look at those as they are less prone to interference in the crowed 2.4ghz spectrum.
    Forum Member
    Chose your budget and pick one that fits, personally I'll be changing to the Cisco router at the bottom soon.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/3217482/group-test-whats-the-best-wireless-router/

Just wanted to let you know, I bought the Cisco router and its been great, thank you.