Options

Blue screen of death

In August I got a new PC now every now and then while gaming I would get BSOD. I thought I sorted it but yesterday when playing FM13 I got it again (twice).

Computer specs:
SSD: 60GB
HDD: 1TB
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: Geforce gtx 670
Processor: Intenel Core i5-3570k CPU 3.40GHz (Although is overclocked to 4.40GHz but I've checked to see if it is actually overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77
I can't actually remember off the top of my head what my PSU think its around 600 or 650w.

The BSOD error messages (I used WhoCrashed)

On Mon 24/12/2012 02:30:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122412-7503-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800D07B028, 0xF2000040, 0x10005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 23/12/2012 22:47:55 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122312-6848-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800D02D028, 0xF2000040, 0x10005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 26/10/2012 20:18:28 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102612-7394-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12818)
Bugcheck code: 0x9C (0x0, 0xFFFFF880009F2B70, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred.

On Fri 12/10/2012 23:06:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101312-7550-01.dmp
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred.

On Tue 09/10/2012 22:30:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100912-7347-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1FAB83)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2, 0x6, 0x1, 0xFFFFFA800D386002)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 306.97
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 306.97
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 306.97 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 17/09/2012 22:21:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091712-7425-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9C (0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FDFB70, 0x0, 0x0)

On Mon 10/09/2012 14:44:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091012-10779-01.dmp

On Tue 04/09/2012 16:51:38 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090412-11466-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9C (0x0, 0xFFFFF88002F6DB70, 0x0, 0x0)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Sansom wrote: »
    I thought I sorted it

What have you actually tried so far? Obvious place to start is upgrading/downgrading the video drivers, checking all the temperatures, undoing the CPU overclock, testing the RAM and hard drives and updating the firmware on the SSD.

Did you build the PC yourself? Is it a decent branded PSU? And does the crashing only occur in just one game or every game? Does it ever crash outside of gaming?

The good news is, there are only around a hundred possible causes. The bad news is, there are around a thousand possible fixes. It's the joy of PC gaming.
  • Options
    SansomSansom Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    It only crashes when gaming, although older games are fine, the only new game that I've played where I haven't had this issue was The Walking Dead game.

I got the PC from Overclockers. I've updated my drivers for my graphics card and my motherboard, checked my PC's temperature when gaming and it seems normal. Also upped the DRAM voltage to 1.54v as I was told before it was a bit low.

How would I go about undoing the Overclock and testing the RAM and my hard drives and updating the firmware on the SSD?

I'm starting to realise how much tinkering you have to do with PC gaming.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    How would I go about undoing the Overclock and testing the RAM and my hard drives and updating the firmware on the SSD?

That's a question with a very long answer, so I'll point you in the right direction to get you started. The SSD manufacturer's website will have info and instructions on updating the firmware. Windows 7 has a built in memory diagnostic tool (type memory into the Search Box and it should pop up). Likewise, you should find diagnostic tools for the hard drive(s) on the respective manufacturer's website. Overclocking is an area where you really need to know what you're doing, so you'll need to do some research on the relevant settings for your Motherboard and CPU. Basically, an overclocked machine might not be 100% stable, so if you experience any random crashing, undoing the overclocking is always one of the essential diagnostic steps.

Contacting Overclockers Technical Support should also be high on your list of priorities, as the machine is still under warrant. These kind of issues, however, can be difficult to diagnose. If you're lucky, it might turn out to be a simple problem with a simple fix.
    I'm starting to realise how much tinkering you have to do with PC gaming.

Indeed. There are plenty of benefits of PC gaming over consoles, but simplicity isn't one of them.
  • Options
    curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I would start by updating your Nvidia graphics drivers to the latest for your card (Likely to be 310.70). Get them from Nvidia not Microsoft. At Nvidia.com. As this seems to be one of the things listed in your WhoCrashed report.
    Next I would set your CPU back to its native clock speed to stabilize it, in case your overclock is too high for the game causing problems. I assure you will not notice much difference in machine speed. Can try 'IntelBurn test' and run it to tell if your over clock is stable when stressed. I hope you have upgraded your CPU cooling system for such a high overclock or heat would be a problem. (preferably water cooling).

Other than these they will be many more things I don't know about you could try.