Options

Just 25% say tax payer should pay for Thatcher's funeral (new Comres poll 13/04)

Comments

• Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I don't support State Funerals (or similar) for politicians.

Churchill led The Nation in WWII so I suppose he could be the exception.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    I don't suppose the fact that in 1984 she won back from Europe a rebate that is presently worth £5B a year (it was approx 20% higher prior to Blair in 2007) makes a difference? That's ~ £160B to date that she has saved the UK..... sigh....

You're all parroting this. What about the costs of dole for 3 to 4 million people year after year during her rule? Caused by her policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....you tell me? Perhaps she used it to pay off some of the huge debts run up by the previous government agreeing to inflation busting pay rises in nationalised industries....? After all the first five years of North Sea Oil flowed under Wilson and Callaghan....

It paid for mass unemployment.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1815456&highlight=

similar result to the poll on here - 23% in favour, 77% against
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed our debt 12 months after she came to power was ~£98B. Any thoughts on what may have contributed to that...?
    When she exited number 10 UK debt had risen to £152B. An increase of 55%. Over the same period UK GDP rose by 186% If I could do that again with my household budget I'd be very pleased....

Overall taxation went up with Thatcher despite North Sea Oil. That took a special kind of leadership. :D
  • Options
    Lee CoolLee Cool Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her family should pay the full cost or the funeral should be private!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    "More than half of voters believe the taxpayer should not pick up the tab for Baroness Thatcher's funeral, an opinion poll released tonight suggests.

A ComRes survey for the Independent on Sunday and the Sunday Mirror found 25 percent of those surveyed thought the funeral should be paid for out of public funds compared to 60 percent who were opposed.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-04-13/poll-60-oppose-taxpayer-funding-of-thatcher-funeral/

It's a brand new poll that has come out tonight for tomorrows Independent.

It's quite a surprising result, I'd say. I didn't realise the support for Mrs Thatcher's paid funeral was quite so low, at just 25%.

The poll certainly doesn't represent the picture being painted by much of the media, which appears to be portraying an opposite position among voters.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen Mrs Thatcher have a quiet respectful funeral and the country focus on the current government policies hurting people today.

How much do we pay out in benefits to people, money that comes from hard working families pockets..................I have no qualms that my tax will go towards a funeral for UK's first ever women prime minister, and less goes to greedy landlords, and people who dont want to work.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Overall taxation went up with Thatcher despite North Sea Oil. That took a special kind of leadership. :D

Overall taxation including north sea oil taxes?
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Lee Cool wrote: »
    Her family should pay the full cost or the funeral should be private!

She should have taken out life insurance years ago - I've had mine so long it costs less than £4 a month :p
    I would imagine the majority of people who support us paying are earning far more than a decent living wage.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morally I think there may be a question of whether it's right or not.

The whole financial thing and 'tax payers money blah blah blah' thing doesn't bother me that much.

To be honest it's a relatively cheap affair and as with all public occasions there is an instantaneous benefit felt by many a local business. Though it's not going to create much impact either way. We might lose a little we might gain a little, nothing more, nothing less.

I also think the 'well let those who agree just pay then' is a slightly pointless statement. Does that mean that if I wanted to go on an anti-Maggie protest I would have to pay to attend because you don't want the taxpayers money being spent on my right to peaceful protest (who do you think pays to make sure protests remain lawful and peaceful)? Ironically it sounds like a very Maggie thing to say.

I suppose it's swings and roundabouts. If you think she's worthy enough a politician to protest and have parties to celebrate her death then she's worthy enough to have a public funeral that celebrates her life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scottish (Oil) debate is a valid, if separate, thread (IMO). However as far as I am (and I'm sure many others are) concerned, during her time in office she did enough to pay for her own funeral.

And she had enough money to pay for it too, so why the hell isn't she?
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Perhaps you could do the same for the welfare budget too.

Those who want to pay other people's benefits could contribute whatever they think is appropriate?

This^^^

However I haven't said that I agree with the "welfare budget "
    But if I do, then I'm sure that my taxes pay for it..
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    And she had enough money to pay for it too, so why the hell isn't she?

same reason diana got one. Enough people wanted one.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

You mean a lot of the "great and good" wanted one.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looking at the poll, that's not true is it.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should the title not read 25% of those taxpayers polled disagreed with paying for Margaret Thatchers funeral, I'm a taxpayer and no one asked me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Should the title not read 25% of those taxpayers polled disagreed with paying for Margaret Thatchers funeral, I'm a taxpayer and no one asked me....

Me Neither.:)
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wish the media would get it right.

The main costs are NOT for the funeral. They involve the security and Policing of an event on public streets.

Nobody is required to pay specially for events taking place on public streets.

However, I suppose they could create a precedent in this case and the Thatchers could cover the costs.

Of course all those people moaning will be happy when the next London protest march gets billed for Policing costs will they?

I don't think so somehow.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Looking at the poll, that's not true is it.

over 50% thought Maggie was great. She also went to war to defend our people. She was considered by many outside our isles as a great leader and respected also.

it's just a minority in this country that hated her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    over 50% thought Maggie was great. She also went to war to defend our people. She was considered by many outside our isles as a great leader and respected also.

it's just a minority in this country that hated her.

That would depend on where in the country you ask that question for instance under Margaret Thatcher the tory vote in scotland collapsed.

Also in the north a fair few might dislike her policies i do not use the word "hate" i did not like her policies but hate is far too stronger word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do wish the media would get it right.

The main costs are NOT for the funeral. They involve the security and Policing of an event on public streets.

Nobody is required to pay specially for events taking place on public streets.

However, I suppose they could create a precedent in this case and the Thatchers could cover the costs.

Of course all those people moaning will be happy when the next London protest march gets billed for Policing costs will they?

I don't think so somehow.

If there is something that I agree with then I'll be happy to pay.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    If there is something that I agree with then I'll be happy to pay.

And those who do not have the ability to pay - that's just tough is it?

Mind you Thatcher would approve of this embracing of privatisation. :D
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the main cost? i suggest its security and policing. the need for such security is due to troublemakers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And normally the Tax Payers Alliance would be all over the news with polls like this out.
    lets hope next time they emerge that's a question put to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And those who do not have the ability to pay - that's just tough is it?

Mind you Thatcher would approve of this embracing of privatisation. :D

Thatcher does not need all the opulence involved at her funeral. No one is saying she shouldn't get buried (well maybe some are but thats a different point all together) but funerals ,although quite expensive these days, cost a fraction of what Cameron and his regime are intending to spend.

So no, this isn't a case of "if you can't afford it,tough, its a case of 'if you want opulence pay for it yourself. The choice isn't £10million or nothing at all.

Maggies friends have got more than enough money between them to cover the expenses, and they would still have millions left over. And any Joe public who would like to donate, to show their gratitude, or to help offset the expenses, there should be a place where they can donate to.