Options

Athletics 2015

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    A sign of the declining athletics tv interest today - BBC2 will show 90 minutes of the European Team Championships, then the rest of the coverage is red button/online only.

The action doesn't start until 13:00, so there will be plenty of time for blether beforehand.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    You mean the BBC's declining interest and it's obsession with tennis for three weeks of the year? Tell us something we didn't already know.

At least the BBC shows an interest in athletics though. ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 have no interest at all, and Sky doesn't seem bothered these days. Eurosport seems to be the only other channel which shows it, but its a fairly low rated, niche channel.

Compare this back to the early 90's, when ITV would show athletics meetings in prime time.

The lack of tv interest in athletics is pretty much global, apart from at the Olympics.

Athletics really needs to do something to boost the sport's popularity. It is one of my favourite sports, but hardly any of my friends have any interest in it, barring the Olympics.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan Lake at Bedford this morning1.94=PB and highest ever by a British Woman outdoors on the UK. Be interesting to see how high Pooley goes today in Russia?

Good to see that Gotzis was seemingly an exam fueled blip for Morgan, hopefully she will find a good quality heptathlon event in a few weeks time to get the qualifier for Beijing.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Morgan Lake at Bedford this morning1.94=PB and highest ever by a British Woman outdoors on the UK. Be interesting to see how high Pooley goes today in Russia?

Good to see that Gotzis was seemingly an exam fueled blip for Morgan, hopefully she will find a good quality heptathlon event in a few weeks time to get the qualifier for Beijing.

Didn't realise that she hadn't qualified yet.

Elsewhere, in the B-league Schippers has run 11,12 yesterday (in not ideal wind conditions) and the 100m relay team clocked up a win in 42,88 (with Visser the heptathlete on the first hand-over).

Will be on holidays myself in good old England the coming week, but I will try to keep up with everything on my phone ;-)
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    A sign of the declining athletics tv interest today - BBC2 will show 90 minutes of the European Team Championships, then the rest of the coverage is red button/online only.

Team GB don't seem to be interested in this competition either though, hardly any of the 'big' names are there. I'm surprised the BBC have given it as much coverage as they have with the standard of the GB team on show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly there comes a time when the chat must stop and the action starts....

Zane Duquemin gets a mark in the discus, 55.28 first round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good run for Bouchard, 10 points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zane Duquemin improves slightly 55.42, currently 7th. Rachel Wallader gets a mark in the shot 15.40. Jax Thoirs gets a jump in the PV, 5.15, has already beaten 3 guys.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solomon was on for another sub-13 until she smashed into the fifth hurdle - thankfully she didn't fall and continued to the finish.

Apparently DAS has food poisoning and Williams will run the 200m instead.

Shubenkov does the 110mH in 13.22 (-2.6m/s), leaving PML in his wake!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Bramble carries over his long jump form from yesterday - no marks in the first round of the triple jump.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solomon was on for another sub-13 until she smashed into the fifth hurdle - thankfully she didn't fall and continued to the finish.

Apparently DAS has food poisoning and Williams will run the 200m instead.

Shubenkov does the 110mH in 13.22 (-2.6m/s), leaving PML in his wake!

The food there must be awful. Asha had a stomach bug too. Earlier on yesterday she tweeted that the breakfast canteen ran out of eggs so she had chips for breakfast!

And PML better watch out. With performances like that he could be beaten by Belocian, Bascou and Darien in the French championships. Admittedly that's a big if but still something worth thinking about nonetheless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Bramble has fouled again....one chance left. Jax Thoirs over at 5.30 in the PV, only has two errors left.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be raining at Queens if they are still on air
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Dan Bramble no marks in the triple. >:( It's enough to make you long for Chris Tomlinson.

Correction! Webpage was steering me wrong, he got a legal jump at 15.92 for 11th place. Dunno if he got a rejump, it did definitely indicate that he had no jumped at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jax Thoirs out of the PV at 5.30 - showing as 7th at the moment, but there are still two who haven't jumped yet.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Team GB don't seem to be interested in this competition either though, hardly any of the 'big' names are there. I'm surprised the BBC have given it as much coverage as they have with the standard of the GB team on show.

Its is disappointing to see so many top GB names not competing, France seems to have there A team.

Perhaps selectors should be offering auto qualification for the world champs if they compete in this, provided they have the A standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps selectors should be offering auto qualification for the world champs if they compete in this, provided they have the A standard.

Would like to see them using willingness to volunteer for this kind of event as a condition for getting lottery money. See also the World Relay Champs.

Sophie Hitchon throws 71.98 SB, only in fifth though, another two athletes have thrown PBs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isobel Pooley clear at 1.88 in the HJ, no failures yet.

Jazmin Sawyers two fouls in the LJ.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    I always feel that Gabby needs to do more homework in athletics.

Gabby thinks of herself as an expert on the subject which is part of the problem. The BBC overemphasises presenters which is a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazmin Sawyers got her final jump in, 6.39 for sixth.

Bonne Buwembo 66.41 in the javelin.

Isobel Pooley finished at 1.94 in the HJ for =6th.

Britain in danger of getting caught by Italy now.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazmin Sawyers got her final jump in, 6.39 for sixth.

Bonne Buwembo 66.41 in the javelin.

Isobel Pooley finished at 1.94 in the HJ for =6th.

Britain in danger of getting caught by Italy now.

Especially after a poor effort in the womens 4x400m. It was a very bad weekend for the womens relays. We need to get more of our better athletes competing.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Especially after a poor effort in the womens 4x400m. It was a very bad weekend for the womens relays. We need to get more of our better athletes competing.

With the relays, in particular, it just seems like a massive wasted opportunity to trial out our A teams. Each time this weekend, the commentators give us a "well, that was OK, but there's lots of other people to come into the team". Excepting for injury, why?!

Virtually none of our 100m or 400m runners - male or female - have any hope of individual medals at the World Championships this summer. But if they pull together, work out their best orders and get their handovers slick - they do have a hope of relay medals.

Seems obvious to me that they should be taking every opportunity to do those things!
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear... that second day was hard work to get through.

I suppose I can understand the reluctance to travel to the back end of beyond by most of our 'A' team to compete in a relatively unimportant competition, it just makes it a tad tiresome to watch.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems that the second day wasn't as good from a British perspective - fewer points in general, and no victories. At least there were still good performances by some individuals.

On another subject, I don't think we've had 2 GB female high jumpers clearing 1.94 outdoors on the same day before.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    YES! The Netherlands were promoted to the Super League (alongside the Czechs and Greeks).

Schippers won the 200m in 22,45 (no wind) and she also announced earlier that she will be running in the next 4 Diamond League meetings (amongst them the Anniversary games in London).