Options

Help needed travelling to Wembley Stadium

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says I need huge help getting to Wembley stadium from Bedford. Yesterday I went to O2 for the Ant and Dec SNTA tour but was with family and so I just followed their lead onto the train to St pancreas and then to the relevant tubes to get there.

But I am going to Wembley Stadium soon and with it being just me and my brother, we are not train/tube/London savy and haven't a clue onhw to get there. I live in Bedford...and I would assume I would go to St Pancreas train station, from there on, I have no idea. I have often thought just to drive there from Bedford as I don't think it would be that bad.

Can anyone give my advice and help please. If it was as simple as Bedford train station to Pancreases,then tube right to Wembley, then OK but I get the impression it is not that easy. Went I went yesterday,the tube to me looked like a huge maze. Dont say its easy...or simple to me as for me it is not.

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It is easy. Get the tube map in front of you, find Wembley Park and St Pancras stations, then look for the fewest number of tube lines & changes to make the journey. Millions of visitors to London manage it. A quick glance shows that it's on the Metropolitan line (the plum coloured one) and you fall off the train St Pancras, onto the Metropolitan line and off at Wembley Park.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Go on the TFL website and use the route planner. 😊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a map here and see it stops at Wembley Park, is it a short walk to stadium?

So I can catch the metropolitan from Pancreas right to the park? For me and my brother it is not easy at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you get google maps on your phone? If you can then you can use it once you get off the tube to guide you. But there will be loads if people there, so you should be able to follow the crowd.

Plus, if you get off at Wembley Park you walk down a huge set of stairs the leads you into Olympic Way. This is a large pedestrianised walk way that leads you straight to the arena and stadium. You really can't miss it 😊.

It's a 5 - 10 min walk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh I can get google maps. If its just a short walk from Wembley Park to stadium that's OK, its just getting from pancras to there lol.

As I am sure you know, I am just not that wavy when it comes to London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FCUK wrote: »
    Yeh I can get google maps. If its just a short walk from Wembley Park to stadium that's OK, its just getting from pancras to there lol.

As I am sure you know, I am just not that wavy when it comes to London.

I don't know about coming from St Pancras but the TFL site will help. Just leave plenty of time so you don't panic and jump on a tube going in the wrong direction!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Just jump on the Metropolitan line underground at Kings Cross St. Pancras and get off at Wembley Park... No changes needed. Its the purple one, head northbound.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I have a map here and see it stops at Wembley Park, is it a short walk to stadium?

So I can catch the metropolitan from Pancreas right to the park? For me and my brother it is not easy at all!

the stadium is very close to the tube station

you basically come out of the station , cross a road and you are on to Wembley way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the Metropolitan is actually running, we have had months and months of ongoing work so it doesn't always run between certain stations, they do put on buses, but they can be slow if the traffic is heavy.
    The stadium is just down the road though from the station.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be warned that Wembley Park gets very busy during major sporting and music events (though I don't think I'd call Ant n Dec "music"). Getting there isn't normally too bad as people spread out their arrival time but it can sometimes take the best part of an hour to get from your seat to a tube train because of the queues. Make sure you have enough time for your return train.

There isn't much around Wembley and the food stalls in the stadium are expensive so if you want a meal then I'd eat near St Pancras before you head over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There isn't much around Wembley and the food stalls in the stadium are expensive so if you want a meal then I'd eat near St Pancras before you head over there.

There are a fair few food chains in the shopping center right next to Wembley Stadium on the top floor. There is a Pizza Express, Frankie and Bennies, Nandos, Wagamama and a couple more if you want to have a meal before. I was there for the Rugby League final last weekend and non of them were particularly busy an hour before kick off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagsy938 wrote: »
    There are a fair few food chains in the shopping center right next to Wembley Stadium on the top floor. There is a Pizza Express, Frankie and Bennies, Nandos, Wagamama and a couple more if you want to have a meal before. I was there for the Rugby League final last weekend and non of them were particularly busy an hour before kick off.

Ah yes, I forgot about that new shopping centre. It hasn't been open long and was still being built the last time I was at Wembley.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be able to see the stadium from the exit/entrance of Wembley Park station.
    Check the Metropolitan is actually running, we have had months and months of ongoing work so it doesn't always run between certain stations, they do put on buses, but they can be slow if the traffic is heavy.
    True, there is engineering works on some lines at the weekends.
    Bagsy938 wrote: »
    There's also a nice fish and chip/Chinese shop very close to the station, McDonalds, Wendzels, Subways and a TGI Fridays, and handful of lesser known takeaways dotted around too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help. We are going to watch the NFL, not Ant and Dec lol, I watched them yesterday at the O2.

So basically it seems simple enough, Bedford Train station to St Pancras and head northbound on the metropolitan. But as I experienced yesterday some stations were not working or tube lines weren't. How can I check before hand???

Plus regarding train, can I get an all day pass? I would assume the NFL match would finished round 10\11pm, we dont know yet. I mean yesterday, I got onto the train back to Bedford with family after the show and it was 11.40pm.

Saying all this, would driving there be better? I would come from Bedford, so that is just over an hr away.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes get a train ticket including tube travel
    Also from st pancras get any westbound train circle, h&c or met line and change at baker st which is where more met line trains start
    ( be at the back if the train for easy exit at Baker st,and over the bridge )
    The other way you just walk thro to circle etc ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically it seems simple enough, Bedford Train station to St Pancras and head northbound on the metropolitan. But as I experienced yesterday some stations were not working or tube lines weren't. How can I check before hand???
    You can check on the Transport For London (TFL) website for updates on how the tube lines are doing:

Link
  • Options
    chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    If the OP is going on a weekend, and I assume that is the case then there are always planned engineering works on the weekend and you can find out what is planned using the link below. Use the bar at the bottom to see months further ahead than the current one. This will tell you about any planned works which might affect your journey - the link that myss posted is worth checking on the day to make sure there are no unplanned problems (by which I mean things like signal failures and so on).

Planned Works Calendar
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got a really good Underground Map APP which is a free download. You can then zoom in on the bit you want and don't have to keep looking for maps at the stations ( although there are loads ) . It's good if you're not confident because you can keep checking it. Persevere because once you've got the hang of the tube it's so easy and even fun to work out the best routes. If you do take a wrong train, just get off at the next station, no harm done.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going all the way into central London and then travelling out again is unnecessary. From Bedford just get a train to Mill Hill Broadway or Hendon and then a bus to Wembley. The TFL journey planner will give you details of bus routes.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Bedford station.

Buy a ticket to Wembley park

Catch a train to St Pancras

Get off train

After passing through the exit gate keep walking for about 100 meters. Do not turn left or right after passing through the gates. Just walk straight on. You will pass the Eurostar exit on your left hand side.

After 15 meters you will pass through one of 3 brick archways. After this turn left and walk down some steps.

On your right hand side you will see some ticket barriers. Using your ticket go through these.

Follow signs to platform one

Now this next bit is complicated. You need to catch a Metropolitan line train. Do not catch a Circle line train or a Hammersmith and City line train. These trains will not take you to Wembley park. Consult the overhead signs which identify what the next train arriving at the platform will be.

Get off at Wembley park. Follow the crowds towards the very large building in front of you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    Ive got a really good Underground Map APP which is a free download. You can then zoom in on the bit you want and don't have to keep looking for maps at the stations ( although there are loads ) . It's good if you're not confident because you can keep checking it. Persevere because once you've got the hang of the tube it's so easy and even fun to work out the best routes. If you do take a wrong train, just get off at the next station, no harm done.

If there's a major event happening at Wembley it is impossible to get lost as there will be tens of thousands of people heading in the same direction. If there's an NFL match on then it should be fairly obvious who they are from what they are wearing.
  • Options
    Anne-Marie_RoweAnne-Marie_Rowe Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    OT which game are you going to see? We are off to see The Cowboys, saw my team The Steelers last year ,it's an amazing atmosphere :)
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going all the way into central London and then travelling out again is unnecessary. From Bedford just get a train to Mill Hill Broadway or Hendon and then a bus to Wembley. The TFL journey planner will give you details of bus routes.

I prefer this route, no tube involved if you're not confident and there are works happening.

Also loads of buses from Mill Hill Broadway (my home town :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I prefer this route, no tube involved if you're not confident and there are works happening.

Also loads of buses from Mill Hill Broadway (my home town :) )

I know there's a 83 bus from Hendon to Wembley Park, is there a bus from Mill Hill to Wembley Park?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't even need to go as far as St Pancras, you can change at West Hampstead, that's what we did last year when coming from St Albans for the NFL.

What I WOULD advise though is to be prepared for a long wait afterwards to get back onto the tube, we waited over an hour last year.