Remember Doctor Who's Grandaughter Susan?

2»

Comments

• comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about OP? Granddaughter?!!!

EDIT: just googled. Seems you're right.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go as far as to say that nobody watches the audio stories.;-)

A lot of people buy them to add to their collection, but not everyone who gets them actually listen to them. They just like to have them as they are an extention of the TV series.

The only Big Finish audios I have got are Blood of the Daleks featuring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith. Plus, Energy of the Daleks with Tom Baker and Louise Jameson, and The Dalek Contract and The Final Phase, with Tom Baker, Mary Tamm and John Leeson who voices K9.

I have listened to these. As far as I know, Lucie Miller first appeared in Blood of the Daleks. Leela saw the Daleks in EOTD, wheras she didn't at all on TV, and the First Romana encountered the Daleks in The Dalek Contract and The Final Phase. Lalla's Romana saw the Daleks on TV, but Mary's Romana didn't.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    A lot of people buy them to add to their collection, but not everyone who gets them actually listen to them. They just like to have them as they are an extention of the TV series.

:)
    But nobody watches them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But nobody watches them.

They can't. They are only audios. ;-)
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    But nobody watches them.

:p:p:p
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    The audio adventures are wonderful. I love radio drama anyway so I'm used to it.

Just sit back and listen with your eyes closed - it is VERY easy to visualise what is happening.

Okay, you have to work a little harder than when you sit back being spoon-fed the action via the TV screen, but it is rewarding.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But nobody watches them.

Some people who buy them but never listen to them probably like watching them sit on a shelf. :)
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people who buy them but never listen to them probably like watching them sit on a shelf. :)
    You sure? I like seeing them sit on the shelf for sure, but some of them are pretty pricey, like £11 for an hour of entertainment. I wouldn't buy one and then not listen to it.

In fact, it bugs me that there are lots of Eighth Doctor plays that I just can't justify buying. 34 stories for over £400. I'd maybe go for half that [which apparently they were in 2012] but as it is, I just skipped to Dark Eyes since they were on offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I love radio drama anyway so I'm used to it.

Have you ever listened to the original Radio 4 series of The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy? :confused:

If you haven't, then it is WELL worth a listen. You'll love it! :D I've got it on CD. It's a multiple disc box set and is called Primary Phase Special Edition. It's the first of two CD sets to be released. The second being Secondary Phase. I haven't got that one, only the first.

Have a listen to Primary Phase. You won't regret it.

It's written by Douglas Adams, the person behind the unbroacast DW story Shada. :)
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the BF audio with Susan was a total waste tbh, really dull story with some terrible acting from her son.
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Have you ever listened to the original Radio 4 series of The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy? :confused:

If you haven't, then it is WELL worth a listen. You'll love it! :D I've got it on CD. It's a multiple disc box set and is called Primary Phase Special Edition. It's the first of two CD sets to be released. The second being Secondary Phase. I haven't got that one, only the first.

Have a listen to Primary Phase. You won't regret it.

It's written by Douglas Adams, the person behind the unbroacast DW story Shada. :)

Yep - I'm a long time HHGTTG fan. I remember the first books, the first radio broadcasts, the TV series (which i thought was wonderful despite obviously shot on a budget!) then the movie ... but the least said about the movie the better. Oh dear.

I embarrassed both my twenty-something sons by sitting in the cinema finishing the sentences before the actor's did, and feeling rather saddened at the changes .... but the garden rakes were good and VERY Adams.

I'm possibly one of the older posters on here - (I was seven when the first episode of Dr Who was transmitted - go figure ...) so have seen quite a bit of telly over the years .and listened to a lot of radio drama but I'm still watching and listening.

A tip - if you ever get a chance to hear a Radio 4 drama fantasy drama series called 'Pilgrim' I'd heartily recommend it. Fabulous.
    Forum Member
    You sure? I like seeing them sit on the shelf for sure, but some of them are pretty pricey, like £11 for an hour of entertainment. I wouldn't buy one and then not listen to it.

In fact, it bugs me that there are lots of Eighth Doctor plays that I just can't justify buying. 34 stories for over £400. I'd maybe go for half that [which apparently they were in 2012] but as it is, I just skipped to Dark Eyes since they were on offer.

Try e-bay, my friend. I think a lot of well-heeled souls buy them, transfer them digitally then sell off their originals to recoup some of the cost.

Type 'big finish' into the search bar and you can snap up someone else's pre-loved bargains for a fraction of the price.

That is how i have built up my collection.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Try e-bay, my friend. I think a lot of well-heeled souls buy them, transfer them digitally then sell off their originals to recoup some of the cost.

Type 'big finish' into the search bar and you can snap up someone else's pre-loved bargains for a fraction of the price.

That is how i have built up my collection.
    I'll keep that in mind. Cheers.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I thought the BF audio with Susan was a total waste tbh, really dull story with some terrible acting from her son.

I actually really like it,I thought 8 and Susan worked well together though the son is a bit hit and miss(he's better when paired up with Lucie)
    I liked Relative Dimensions as well,but I am a bit of a sucker for any bringing back of classic companions and the beauty of audio is they can be brought back easily without worrying about the actors age.