Lee McQueen Should win because...

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Sorry but the teary eyes, the looking off into the distance, the hesitations suggested otherwise. I'm all for bettering oneself through hard work but I would have had more respect for him if he had simply said "my parents worked hard to provide for us and that was a valuable lesson". It came across as disrespectful to his parents really.

I may be soft, but I think there's more to it than that he's ashamed to have a Dad who's a milkman. He has probably met with people over the course of his working life, who have been disparaging about his background and lack of educational qualifications. It may be that one of his parents has died, and that brought on the tears. He doesn't strike me as one who cries easily, particularly in front of the cameras. If it makes him work hard in order to earn lots of money, then good luck to him.

That said, when he said it, I was surprised that he should be ashamed of it, though I'm looking at it from the relative security of being the daughter of middle class parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but the teary eyes, the looking off into the distance, the hesitations suggested otherwise. I'm all for bettering oneself through hard work but I would have had more respect for him if he had simply said "my parents worked hard to provide for us and that was a valuable lesson". It came across as disrespectful to his parents really.

Had he been ashamed of it, he could have refused to bring it up. The candidates choose how they are portrayed. Do we know what Lucinda's parents did for a living? No.

In fact Lee explained that it has motivated him to be able to provide for his children unconditionally. I think that Lee is angry with his father - not because his father is a milkman but because he left them they never heard from him again.

Lee came across as respectful to his mother. He said he had to move out to give his mother some space. I read somewhere that they are close.
  • KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the worst things that can happen to a teenage boy who may have been close to his father is for the father to leave and have no further contact with them. It does their head in.

They can go one way or the other ... go completely off the rails or apply themselves to prove their worth and make sure they outdo their lost role model.

I think (only my opinion) Lee was upset by his fathers departure and when he started talking about his father the emotion just flooded back.

I could be completely wrong
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also got the impression that Lee gets emotional talking about his father. It had nothing to do with his being a milkman. It had everything to do with him walking out and not providing for his family, behaviour that Lee is determined not to repeat.

I am far more uncomfortable with someone who has completely cut off her own family. I have no issue with her keeping it private, simply with the basic premise. Perhaps I was just lucky with mine but I can't imagine any circumstances where a caring person could do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also got the impression that Lee gets emotional talking about his father. It had nothing to do with his being a milkman. It had everything to do with him walking out and not providing for his family, behaviour that Lee is determined not to repeat.

I am far more uncomfortable with someone who has completely cut off her own family. I have no issue with her keeping it private, simply with the basic premise. Perhaps I was just lucky with mine but I can't imagine any circumstances where a caring person could do that.

We don't know what happened between them. Perhaps she was forced to do so. Kristina last year didn't speak to her family for years because she insisted on having her baby against their will. SAS took the initiative and spoke to her family and they are in good terms now.

I actually respect Lucinda for not bringing her personal life into it. Whatever happened between them is irrelevant to the show. I hope she will continue keep her family life away from the media after the show ends.
  • 2LO2LO Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know what happened between them. Perhaps she was forced to do so. Kristina last year didn't speak to her family for years because she insisted on having her baby against their will. SAS took the initiative and spoke to her family and they are in good terms now.
    Well done Sir Alan.

You've just gone up a lot in my estimation.

(As if he'd care. :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    His spelling was atrocious.

Can anyone tell me what is so shaming about having a Milkman for a father? His tearful confession was dreadful.

The spelling would have something to do with his education if he went to school in a more deprived area (like it or not, schools in poorer areas don't attract the better teachers, and partly because of this the pupils don't see much value in school). Mixed up with his feelings about his father leaving, I'm not surprised he was emotional, and he hardly burst into floods of tears. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't mind who gets through tonight as long as its not Alex or Helene. I was more sympathetic towards both (if not all of them) after Monday evening's programme, but still prefer the other three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually respect Lucinda for not bringing her personal life into it. Whatever happened between them is irrelevant to the show. I hope she will continue keep her family life away from the media after the show ends.

I am sure that the tabloids have teams already digging into it and Amanda Platell/Jane Moore/Alison Pearson* will have already written an article criticising her with a few blank bits they just need to fill in afterwards.

* Delete which is not applicable (please).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about...
    (real life example, and no, not mine)

Father abuses his eldest daughter for years; when he starts moving his attentions to the younger sisters the older daughter tells mother; mother tells her she's a wicked liar and sends her to a boarding school in another country; this daughter is not allowed to come home for holidays, but is told to stay with her aunt in this other country...

This woman I'm talking about refused to have anything to do with her family as well.

I'm not saying that's what Lucinda went through, of course - how would I know what caused the rift there - all I'm saying is that there could be circumstances in which a caring person would have to do that - for their own sake.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    peely wrote: »
    The spelling would have something to do with his education if he went to school in a more deprived area (like it or not, schools in poorer areas don't attract the better teachers, and partly because of this the pupils don't see much value in school). Mixed up with his feelings about his father leaving, I'm not surprised he was emotional, and he hardly burst into floods of tears. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't mind who gets through tonight as long as its not Alex or Helene. I was more sympathetic towards both (if not all of them) after Monday evening's programme, but still prefer the other three.

He was brought up in Ruislip, I'd hardly call that a deprived area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are pockets of deprivation in every area, including the affluent ones. And deprivation can be relative: if a kid goes to school where other classmates have more than him and use this to belittle him, he could grow up feeling deprived; conversely, if a poor kid grows up in an environment where everybody is as poor, they won't feel so deprived.
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee's CV looked like my own results of typing. Its not an issue of not paying attention at school, he is very likely an undiagnosed dyslexic. When I went to school dyslexia was not diagnosed because if they had identified it they would have had to spend money on it. I was diagnosed officially at 45!

What surprised me was that in some skills I was 6th percentile and at other I was at 96th percentile for others.

I have read through this and corrected 6 errors on my own...
    then the spell check found 5!
    and I am 75th percentile for IQ.
  • annies1annies1 Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    I don't think I could take the show or Sir Alan seriously ever again if Lee won.

He can't spell, he swears constantly, he has a bad temper and he can't pitch.

He's utterly useless.

I haven't been able to take SAS serious since he hired Michelle Dewberry over Ruth Badger.

I think that is why he likes Claire so much, he sees it as his way of redeeming himself as she reminds him of (an inferior version) of the Badger.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    Had he been ashamed of it, he could have refused to bring it up. The candidates choose how they are portrayed. Do we know what Lucinda's parents did for a living? No.

In fact Lee explained that it has motivated him to be able to provide for his children unconditionally. I think that Lee is angry with his father - not because his father is a milkman but because he left them they never heard from him again.

Lee came across as respectful to his mother. He said he had to move out to give his mother some space. I read somewhere that they are close.

Perhaps ashamed is not the right word then and insecure is. He was,in my view, still disrespectful to them. They probably worked their guts out for their family to provide all the things that actually matter in life. Much like my own. Also, he did not get upset when he was talking about the divorce although I am sure it was a very difficult time. There was no mention on the interview about the fact his dad disappeared was there? I assume you got that from another source so fair enough.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jgj wrote: »
    How about...
    (real life example, and no, not mine)

Father abuses his eldest daughter for years; when he starts moving his attentions to the younger sisters the older daughter tells mother; mother tells her she's a wicked liar and sends her to a boarding school in another country; this daughter is not allowed to come home for holidays, but is told to stay with her aunt in this other country...

This woman I'm talking about refused to have anything to do with her family as well.

I'm not saying that's what Lucinda went through, of course - how would I know what caused the rift there - all I'm saying is that there could be circumstances in which a caring person would have to do that - for their own sake.

That's a good example although the younger sister is thrown out of her life too so my point remains.

I'm thinking Lee might have made the final due to one flash of brilliance. The stand-out achievement of all the tasks was, in my view, the name Atishu for the tissues. It was genius for all sorts of reasons and this was recognised by the external advertisers. I'm pretty sure SAS asked whose idea it was. I think the answer secured Lee's place.
  • mouthalmightymouthalmighty Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katenutzs wrote: »
    One of the worst things that can happen to a teenage boy who may have been close to his father is for the father to leave and have no further contact with them. It does their head in.

They can go one way or the other ... go completely off the rails or apply themselves to prove their worth and make sure they outdo their lost role model.

I think (only my opinion) Lee was upset by his fathers departure and when he started talking about his father the emotion just flooded back.

I could be completely wrong

Perhaps Lee saw Sralan fall for a similar sob story last year with the blond woman who won (and whose name I can't remember) and thought he'd give it a go. And who could blame him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr N wrote: »
    Lee McQueen Should win because...

... fibbers get everywhere...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know Ruislip.

I'm inclined to agree on the dyslexia theory. His spelling is so bad, he evidently doesn't recognise word patterns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps ashamed is not the right word then and insecure is. He was,in my view, still disrespectful to them. They probably worked their guts out for their family to provide all the things that actually matter in life. Much like my own. Also, he did not get upset when he was talking about the divorce although I am sure it was a very difficult time. There was no mention on the interview about the fact his dad disappeared was there? I assume you got that from another source so fair enough.

I don't think you really appreciate all your parents do for you until you have your own children, and realise how hard it is....by the way Lee, its hard even if you have money, cos they don't necessarily grow up the way you would like them to. Even then, you question why your parents did this, that and the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... fibbers get everywhere...

now that was pretty stupid. I know lots of people lie about dates etc on CVs. However, he should have known that SAS would employ people to go through it with a fine toothcomb, and check out references.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lee said that it wasn't a bad life but he wanted a better life for his children. What is wrong with that?

His dad moved out quickly after the divorce but there is no mention that he disappeared. May be mentioning his dad reminded him of the difficult time they went through when the divorce happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I was impressed with the way Lee "sold" the pen. He may be inhibited about his education, but his first two points (recyclable, anti-choking) were intelligent.

:0) Dave
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is obviously dyslexic. Clare Balding thought this on The Apprentice: You're Fired! after Week Eleven. A person who had any education could spell better than Lee does now. I have a friend who does know his stuff academically but he is an atrocious speller. I strongly suspect he is dyslexic, but he hasn't been diagnosed.

I like him a lot. He can sell anything to anyone, absolutely full of enthusiasm, and has the same first name as me. :p

Sir Alan should hire the best businessperson. If he did that, Claire would win.