Options

How tense were you as Sugar pondered at the end ?

VividVivid Posts: 715
Forum Member
✭✭
The Apprentice has to be one of the most dramatic and engaging things on the telly.

I can't think of any other programme which has me clasping at the chair, causes my heart to beat furiously and apparently seems able to slow time.

As Sugar pondered on his decision as to who to fire after Lucinda I was fully engaged emotionally with all the candidates, even the ones I loathed, as I tensed up ready to spring up in relief or anger and then........ he let them all off the hook to a crescendo of released breaths in the boardroom and in my living room.

There is something about seeing the candidates battle with real world hurdles that one might face oneself and see them compete and struggle with one another that not only engages the emotions but one's intellect as one ponders what one would do in the place of the candidates.

I find even the most dramatic cinematic experiences barely compare to the best Apprentice boardroom scenes ( the scene in the recent oscar winner of no Country for Old Men when the "hero" is pursued by a savage dog and is chased by some baddies comes to mind as comparable). I presume I am not alone in thinking this.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't tense at all although that was due to me knowing what would happen!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasnt that tense, TBH as much as I love the show. i really dont care who will win. As once its over, It dont matter:D:D
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't tense at all.
  • Options
    ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    I wasn't tense until snake boy stuck the knife in, then I was worried that he would sack Lucinda. Which he did.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to butt into the thread, but does anyone know when this last episode is repeated on the Beeb? For some reason it's not appeared on catch-up TV, which is how I usually get a chance to see it :(
  • Options
    ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Sorry to butt into the thread, but does anyone know when this last episode is repeated on the Beeb? For some reason it's not appeared on catch-up TV, which is how I usually get a chance to see it :(

Don't worry, have looked and it's repeated at 10.30pm on Saturday night, BBC 2. With the 'You're fired' episode straight after. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »

You could try BBC iplayer if you can't catch the repeat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ansildrall wrote: »
    I wasn't tense at all although that was due to me knowing what would happen!

I read the spoiler thread and was still tense! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't tense at all. The ones that I considered better candidates, and nicer people, had already been dismissed by SAS. I felt sure that SAS would not want Lucinda in his organisation, which says as much about SAS and his organisation as about Lucinda. I would not wish to work for a rude, loud, inverted snob, would you?

When he announced that 4 would go through to the final, I felt as if I had been suckered. I don't think this was because he couldn't make up his mind about which of the other candidates to fiire--it was obviously a decision that had been decided upon previously to make 'better TV'. Fake, fake, fake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    I wasn't especially tense as when he was talking to Claire like he would definitely fire her (with the dramatic background music) I did think he would let her be in the final anyway. Something about the editing or whatever- it was as though it was this big massive build up to Claire being fired, but I felt it was sort of OTT the way it was done, which gave it away to me.

I was thinking he would fire Lee and Helene after he let Claire off the hook, so was surprised when he said that they were all in the final. It was said so quickly after he finished with Claire though I didn't really feel there was much time to think too much about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Not, at all really I was waiting for the inevitable, it was obvious that Lucinda was going just measuring the amount of coverage she got against the others and the odious comments about candles and interior design from the sniggering mutley.

Once she had gone and we were left with the remaining pack of jokers I didn't care who else left.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    Don't worry, have looked and it's repeated at 10.30pm on Saturday night, BBC 2. With the 'You're fired' episode straight after. :)

Thank you:)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't tense, but I was disappointed. I thought it was a very lacklustre ending. Saying that, I was picking up my jaw after it hit the floor with Lucinda's sacking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I only tensed up when Alex snaked his way through the grass and told SAS about Lucinda having doubts.
  • Options
    VividVivid Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't tense, but I was disappointed. I thought it was a very lacklustre ending. Saying that, I was picking up my jaw after it hit the floor with Lucinda's sacking.

Yes I suppose if you are a Lucinda fan what happened afterwards would be resented and seen through a cloud.

I am surprised at the some people who commented at not being moved to high emotions at that point where Sugar was about to name the next firing. I wonder if these people find anything in the visual media gripping? Perhaps they wrestle lions for stimulation, whereas I restrict to brief moments of bear wrestling if I am under stimulated.

The odd thing is I don't really like any of the candidates left, yet I seemed to be pumping a comparable amount of adrenalin to the candidates.

*goes off to wrestle a bear*
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Goes off to play with his widget more like. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was tense until Lucinda was fired. I had accidentally read a spoiler about 4 being in the final anyway so it wasn't a shock to me when he didn't end up firing anyone else. But even if I didn't know what was going to happen, I didn't care about any of the candidates enough to be tense about it. :p
  • Options
    RodaramaRodarama Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so tense I had to de-clench my cheeks witha shoehorn...
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I wasn't tense I knew the result before I watched.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't tense or gripping at all. With Lucinda fired, Lee was the only remaining candidate I would have liked to win.

This series has been a huge let down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodarama wrote: »
    I was so tense I had to de-clench my cheeks witha shoehorn...

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Vivid wrote: »
    The Apprentice has to be one of the most dramatic and engaging things on the telly.

I can't think of any other programme which has me clasping at the chair, causes my heart to beat furiously and apparently seems able to slow time.

As Sugar pondered on his decision as to who to fire after Lucinda I was fully engaged emotionally with all the candidates, even the ones I loathed, as I tensed up ready to spring up in relief or anger and then........ he let them all off the hook to a crescendo of released breaths in the boardroom and in my living room.

There is something about seeing the candidates battle with real world hurdles that one might face oneself and see them compete and struggle with one another that not only engages the emotions but one's intellect as one ponders what one would do in the place of the candidates.

I find even the most dramatic cinematic experiences barely compare to the best Apprentice boardroom scenes ( the scene in the recent oscar winner of no Country for Old Men when the "hero" is pursued by a savage dog and is chased by some baddies comes to mind as comparable). I presume I am not alone in thinking this.

Although there is drama Lucinda going wasn't quite a ring dropping and rolling on the floor shocking twist moment for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    after Lucinda - I couldn't really give a crap about the others
  • Options
    BatBatBabyBatBatBaby Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    I wasn't tense until snake boy stuck the knife in, then I was worried that he would sack Lucinda. Which he did.
    I only tensed up when Alex snaked his way through the grass and told SAS about Lucinda having doubts.

Good for him. He was already one of my favourites and became my clear favourite after doing that.

Lucinda was on her way out regardless but what Alex did has to be done.

I would have been tempted to offer him the job on the spot and sack the other four there and then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebright wrote: »
    When he announced that 4 would go through to the final, I felt as if I had been suckered. I don't think this was because he couldn't make up his mind about which of the other candidates to fiire--it was obviously a decision that had been decided upon previously to make 'better TV'. Fake, fake, fake.
    Yeah, suckered, that's the word. Having watched the interviews (the sarcastic comments and cheap put downs) and thought they've got to be tough to weed out three of them . . . then he only fired Lucinda . . . a complete and utter TV sham.