Your Halloween Viewing....?

Comments

• intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that mate - good to hear other people's views - have been really getting into foreign language horror films over the past couple of years. The trailer for "The Dead" is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpgVWVvpjs

I have a few recommendations that you may be interested in, so message me... Also, you may be able to point in the direction of some other decent films.....

Always nice to hear from someone to whom subtitles are a mark of quality rather than a detraction :p

Right now, the horror genre is a bit dead in the water. For a long time, south-east Asia was where it was at, with Japan leading the way with lots of absolutely fantastic ghost films (RING & RING 2, GRUDGE & GRUDGE 2, DARK WATER, etc). but that cycle has run its course by now. Certainly I get the feeling I've seen most of the good ones. There are still some oddities coming out - SADAKO 3D which is a new Ring film, EXTE which is a weird comic/horror combo but it's fairly quiet as a whole.

Thailand is more of a pot-luck country when it comes to films - for every MEAT GRINDER and SHUTTER there's a GHOST GAME or HELL and I wouldn't inflict those latter two on anybody. Same with their other genres - Tony Jaa was in a couple of exceptional martial arts movies (ONG BAK, WARRIOR KING) but other recent output from the same studios has been disappointing to say the least.

One earlier poster in this thread mentioned that Spanish horror films were where it's at and I'd be inclined to agree with that; I'm not up to date with the most recent Hispanic horrors but the slightly older likes [REC] and THE ORPHANAGE are exceptional films.

Amid the usual remake/sequel/torture dross from America, they seem to be making a lot of 'found footage' type horror films (don't mind these myself, actually) and exorcism-style films seem to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence at the moment too.

My current number-one country for movie-making has to be, without a doubt, South Korea. They're not making many horror films (although THIRST is a good recent vampire movie) but they do do a lot of serial-killer flicks and these are absolutely brilliant. MEMORIES OF MURDER, MOTHER, I SAW THE DEVIL, THE CHASER - I can't recommend these highly enough. And if you like a bit of action/crime thrillers too, then THE MAN FROM NOWHERE and THE YELLOW SEA are two of my favourite films. Ever.

Always interested in recommendations, of course :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Always interested in recommendations, of course :)

I agree, subtitles are often a "put off" for some people, which is a shame as they are missing out on some great films.

I have enjoyed a fair few French films, so would suggest MARTYRS, SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE, ILS (aka Them), 5150 ELMS WAY, LA HORDE (excellent zombie flick - like 28 days later on speed!), FRONTIERS, SHEITAN (aka Satan). IN THEIR SLEEP was not too bad either. MUTANTS was a good little film too. INSIDE is perhaps my favourite though. 7 DAYS was ok, but more of a morality thriller than a horror.

In terms of "run of the mill" stuff, Rec was brilliant, but the second one was a real let down. I loved the "Girl with" trilogy (The original ones, not the Daniel Craig remake).

I have watched a couple of Asian films of late, which I have enjoyed - Try THREE EXTREMES and THREE EXTREMES 2. Also, INVITATION ONLY was quite decent. I loved CHASER, A BITTERSWEET LIFE. I enjoyed SICK NURSES and A TALE OF TWO SISTERS. I have I SAW THE DEVIL to watch and also a Korean version of THE RING (the same story, just not the more well known version). I also have a Korean film called ADDICTION to watch. PREMONITION was not too bad either. 13:GAME OF DEATH was also a great little film. I would also reccomend GUARDPOST

NIGHTWATCH was an ok horror/thriller (Dutch I think) too. MANHUNT was a great film too (I think it was Sweedish). THE LOVED ONES (although it is Australian) was great too.

I will let you know what THE DEAD was like when I have watched it. I also have LIVID on order for xmas!

There are also some nice little English films out there too in the horror genre - MUM AND DAD in particular was excellent, but also have a look at KILL LIST and PATROL MEN. SHUTTLE was also a little hidden gem.

Hope that gives you some food for thought....
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Halloween 4 on 5USA tonight.

And Halloween 5 is on tomorrow night :D Surprised there's no H1 or H2 though :(
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Yes it is, it just isn't about Michael Myers.

I think the anthology format would have been cool if it continued as planned actually.

Halloween III is also on BBC2 this Friday night/ Sat morn at 12.55am :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in countdown to Halloween....saw 28 Days Later last night havent seen in a while...and ADORED rewatching it....will watch Weeks tonight and on Halloween we usually watch Hocus Pocus and Halloween over ehre :D....but am tempted to watch a horror per night this week.

It is strange i used to be frenetically looking for horror films or frequently watching but over the past few months i havent...been nice watching them again...well "nice"...entertaining for use of a better word :cool:

Havent seen Suspiria in a while nor Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton) so may fork them out too this week :)

And may watch the entire Scream Quadrilogy :)
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Halloween 4 on 5USA tonight.

Halloween 4 and 5, a mini story ark featuring Danielle Harris.

A great double bill well worth watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i watched the first Halloween afew weeks back..and how shit it was..No story ..all it was about was Jamie Lee Curtis seeing a strange man on every corner..not scary..so i gave up..the only one i will watch is the third one as thats more of a normal horror film
  • adamcmadamcm Posts: 4,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching horror films all month but my 'traditional' films for tomorrow are Hocus Pocus & the original Halloween. Gotta watch them each year :p
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching Hocus Pocus and The Worst Witch later - they were childhood Halloween staples and I continue to watch them every year.

I also have a more recent tradition of watching Halloween (1978) late in the evening each October 31st. It's a perfect way to end the month!
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I agree, subtitles are often a "put off" for some people, which is a shame as they are missing out on some great films.

I have enjoyed a fair few French films, so would suggest MARTYRS, SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE, ILS (aka Them), 5150 ELMS WAY, LA HORDE (excellent zombie flick - like 28 days later on speed!), FRONTIERS, SHEITAN (aka Satan). IN THEIR SLEEP was not too bad either. MUTANTS was a good little film too. INSIDE is perhaps my favourite though. 7 DAYS was ok, but more of a morality thriller than a horror.

In terms of "run of the mill" stuff, Rec was brilliant, but the second one was a real let down. I loved the "Girl with" trilogy (The original ones, not the Daniel Craig remake).

I have watched a couple of Asian films of late, which I have enjoyed - Try THREE EXTREMES and THREE EXTREMES 2. Also, INVITATION ONLY was quite decent. I loved CHASER, A BITTERSWEET LIFE. I enjoyed SICK NURSES and A TALE OF TWO SISTERS. I have I SAW THE DEVIL to watch and also a Korean version of THE RING (the same story, just not the more well known version). I also have a Korean film called ADDICTION to watch. PREMONITION was not too bad either. 13:GAME OF DEATH was also a great little film. I would also reccomend GUARDPOST

NIGHTWATCH was an ok horror/thriller (Dutch I think) too. MANHUNT was a great film too (I think it was Sweedish). THE LOVED ONES (although it is Australian) was great too.

I will let you know what THE DEAD was like when I have watched it. I also have LIVID on order for xmas!

There are also some nice little English films out there too in the horror genre - MUM AND DAD in particular was excellent, but also have a look at KILL LIST and PATROL MEN. SHUTTLE was also a little hidden gem.

Hope that gives you some food for thought....

Thanks for that, Scuba, a few of those titles seem to have slipped under the radar! I'm not a massive fan of French horror although I do love ILS and I was disgusted when I saw the US version of that story (STRANGERS - avoid). The French seem to do intensity rather well and I did enjoy a couple of Alexandre Aja's Hollywood efforts (HILLS HAVE EYES & PIRANHA 3D) so I may check them out at some point.

If you like Scandinavian cinema, I'd really recommend a recent crime film called HEADHUNTERS. Not horror, but very dark in places and just a great film all-round. MANHUNT was Norwegian as I recall, was okay but just the gore and nothing else really. Hated THE LOVED ONES, though - as mentioned, not really a fan of these torture flicks, seen one and you've seen 'em all.

I've seen some of those Asian ones you mentioned - I didn't care for THREE EXTREMES 2 or SICK NURSES, and THE RING VIRUS (the Korean version) is weak when you've seen the Japanese original. GUARD POST was all right, but I found the earlier R-POINT to be a much better version of a similar storyline.

Haven't seen any of those British films you mention, I don't really pick up much western fare as I've been let down too many times. I tend to wait for it to show up on television and concentrate on purchasing foreign cinema. I did catch a low budget one called THE CHILDREN on TV which I liked a lot, though.

It's a real shame that Italy has been so quiet for the last couple of decades, as for a time in the '70s/'80s they were churning out some great horror cinema! Where are the Argentos and Fulcis of today, eh?
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Halloween Playlist for today:
    1. Strangers On A Train
    2. The Birds
    3. Dial M For Murder
    4. Psycho
    and then tonight
    1. Scream 1,2,3 and 4 back to back
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    My favourite Halloween movie tonight for me - Sleepy Hollow.

Tim Burton seemed to go downhill after this sadly :(
    Forum Member
    ive got afew recorded to choose from being Wolf Creek...Gingersnaps..Wolf...Wrong Turn 1 and 2...Saw 1,2,3 and 4...Village of the dammed ( Christopher Reeve version)..Terminator films..
    Forum Member
    SHUTTLE was also a little hidden gem

I have got this on dvd, but saving it for a weekend veiwing..:D seen it ages ago anyway on dvd when i rented it out once..Good film, and good ending :)
    Forum Member
    ive decided i will watch The Howling..good and scary..werewolf film :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Poltergeist on TCM tonight at 11.05 :)
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Halloween movie list for 2 nite

1. Sorority Row
    2. hocus Pocus
    3. the evil dead
    4. the shinning
    5. the nightmare before christmas
    5. trick r treat
    6. wrong turn 5
    7. drag me to hell

Marathon HERE I COME!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    My Halloween movie list for 2 nite

1. Sorority Row
    2. hocus Pocus
    3. the evil dead
    4. the shinning
    5. the nightmare before christmas
    5. trick r treat
    6. wrong turn 5
    7. drag me to hell

Marathon HERE I COME!
    No work tomorrow then ? :D
  • Renegade MasterRenegade Master Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addams Family on film4
    Forum Member
    bump, as its coming up for Halloween lol

yea, im off work all that week at my sisters and will be getting some horrors out :D
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    And Halloween 5 is on tomorrow night :D Surprised there's no H1 or H2 though :(

The BBC did air Halloween 1 and 2 back to back on Halloween night a few years ago. Fingers crossed they'll do the same this year.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched most of them I need some new material but the modern stuff can't beat the older classics.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the original Halloween, on Blu-ray ready to be unwrapped on the 31st. That and Zombie Flesh Eaters!
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably be boring and just go to the cineworld showing of A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original).
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Halloween or.. :o The Rocky Horror Picture Show :D