Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    Awe Walter I was just about to post a tweet link from Joan Collins that she posted today reminding people that there is still tickets available for Marlowe.

I bet your so disappointed :(

I combined my ticket purchase with a weekend holiday break in Edinburgh so it's part of my holiday expenses. It is this Saturday that I'm going to see Joan! Edinburgh is a full sell out! If I was able to pay for you to travel and stay over in Edinburgh and smuggle you into the show to see Joan Collins I would!
    I'm loving how your referring to my new crush as your guy :blush:
    I've looked at some of the Facebook stuff that you pointed me towards and it's just whetted my appetite even more! :D

Best Wishes for your big Faversham run -I'm sure you will do very well and something tells me you've got a few veteran awards left in you yet!

Great News Hilda!

My gym friend Claire said that she would like to see Joan, I phoned the Marlowe and got two dress circle seats for £29 each on Wednesday 5th October. I can't wait! :D

I am wondering whether she would be interested in the story of how I got arrested on her account. I was in the army when her film The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing came to Catterick Camp. Naturally I wanted to see it, but when I got back to my barracks I was placed under arrest. I had forgotten to read company orders and I should have been on guard duty that evening. The following day was my 19th birthday, and I spent it under open arrest, and on guard duty. :cry:

The Faversham 10K was great, I completed it in 1 hour 10 minutes, 6 minutes faster than last year, and I was presented with my fifth Veteran's Trophy. I was especially pleased to come in 443 place out of 510 runners, so there were 67 runners who finished after me. ;-)

While you are drooling over your Guy on Facebook, you can see all of my latest photo's on my page. :)
  • looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Great News Hilda!

My gym friend Claire said that she would like to see Joan, I phoned the Marlowe and got two dress circle seats for £29 each on Wednesday 5th October. I can't wait! :D

I am wondering whether she would be interested in the story of how I got arrested on her account. I was in the army when her film The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing came to Catterick Camp. Naturally I wanted to see it, but when I got back to my barracks I was placed under arrest. I had forgotten to read company orders and I should have been on guard duty that evening. The following day was my 19th birthday, and I spent it under open arrest, and on guard duty. :cry:

The Faversham 10K was great, I completed it in 1 hour 10 minutes, 6 minutes faster than last year, and I was presented with my fifth Veteran's Trophy. I was especially pleased to come in 443 place out of 510 runners, so there were 67 runners who finished after me. ;-)

While you are drooling over your Guy on Facebook, you can see all of my latest photo's on my page. :)

Found you Walter, now just have to find your page. Well Done on your race I have started reading from the beginning what an interesting life you are having Walter thanks for sharing, I know many of the name but useless at films, but enjoying the tales you are telling. Hoping to join in more.:):):)
    Forum Member
    Found you Walter, now just have to find your page. Well Done on your race I have started reading from the beginning what an interesting life you are having Walter thanks for sharing, I know many of the name but useless at films, but enjoying the tales you are telling. Hoping to join in more.:):):)

Welcome to our thread, great to have you with us! :)

If you have any questions on the films and stars of the Golden Age then please do ask, and I will try and answer. :)

My name in this Forum is actually the name of Fred MacMurray's character in Double Indemnity, one of the greatest film noir's of all time. My real name is Ray Johnson, and that is the name that you will find me under on Facebook. :)
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Oh I'm delighted Walter that you really actually are going to see Dame Joan Collins in person with your friend! The right decision has prevailed and something tells me your going to love it!

It'd have been a travesty in my opinion if you hadn't managed to make it to see Joan! It's destiny!!

I think she will be very interested in your story about being arrested "on her behalf" in a sense -infact I think she will be intrigued amused and delighted!

I haven’t decided on my final question but it's likely to be about gossip about the big name personality actresses of the era like Barbara, Joan, Lauren etc

I'm leaving on the train to Edinburgh in less than five hours and the show is Saturday night.
    So excited :):D but nervous too!

Congratulations too on your recent sporting success -The miracle and marvel of your abilities continues!

Can't wait to post on Sunday after I've seen Dame Joan Collins in the flesh!
    Forum Member
    DavidJ28 wrote: »
    Me. Lol. :)

Love Anne Bancroft, more her comedy roles tho, loved her in Prisoner of Second Avenue and the remake of To Be Or Not To Be

X

Great! She was definitely a stand out actress from her generation!

Did you ever see in the 1970s I think her interview with Michael Parkinson? She was painfully shy and clearly loathed the limelight.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to hear the stories from Dame Joan's show
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to hear the stories from Dame Joan's show

I definitely can't wait to share the stories!
    Forum Member

Have a wonderful time Hilda, it would be great if you ask her what she thought of Barbara. I know that she thought Bette was a bitch when she worked with her, but said that she loves relaxing in front of the TV on a Saturday afternoon, especially if there is a black and white film showing with Barbara.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if she ever crossed paths with Katherine Hepburn. Katherine wasn't one to mince her words apparently and would tell you straight out if she didn't enjoy your company.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if she ever crossed paths with Katherine Hepburn. Katherine wasn't one to mince her words apparently and would tell you straight out if she didn't enjoy your company.

I have several books on Katie Hepburn, but I can't recall Joan's name ever being mentioned in any of them. ;-)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't wait to read them on here. Have a great weekend in Edinburgh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have several books on Katie Hepburn, but I can't recall Joan's name ever being mentioned in any of them. ;-)

I bet they are good books. She was and still is a fascinating person.
    Forum Member
    I bet they are good books. She was and still is a fascinating person.

They certainly are, especially an autobiography entitled, "Me. Stories of my Life"

She was once quoted as saying, "I have always found myself to be totally fascinating!" ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha. Oh she really was quite the character.
    Forum Member
    Have a wonderful time Hilda, it would be great if you ask her what she thought of Barbara. I know that she thought Bette was a bitch when she worked with her, but said that she loves relaxing in front of the TV on a Saturday afternoon, especially if there is a black and white film showing with Barbara.:)
    I can't wait to read them on here. Have a great weekend in Edinburgh.

Thanks Very Much Guy's -been enjoying my weekend in Edinburgh and now just a few hour's to go until I meet the lady herself! Nervous but excited!
    Forum Member
    Thanks Very Much Guy's -been enjoying my weekend in Edinburgh and now just a few hour's to go until I meet the lady herself! Nervous but excited!

Hilda, Unless things have changed, I hear that you have to write the question for her in the lobby, and then Percy selects the best, and reads them out to her onstage.

Here is another I might use, "If you had been given the opportunity of appearing in a scene with Barbara Stanwyck, would you have done a guest spot in The Colby's?"

You can use it if you like :)
    Forum Member
    Hilda, Unless things have changed, I hear that you have to write the question for her in the lobby, and then Percy selects the best, and reads them out to her onstage.

Here is another I might use, "If you had been given the opportunity of appearing in a scene with Barbara Stanwyck, would you have done a guest spot in The Colby's?"

You can use it if you like :)

I will post full details tomorrow as I'm currently packing my suitcase in my Edinburgh hotel!
    That's partially right but they did take lots of random question's from the audience via people just putting their hands up and being chosen. People where also able to tweet their questions with a special hashtag as well as going through the lobby question system. Most people who used the lobby system did so during the interval.

The big issue was that demand far exceeded supply -too many question's and hand's up and not enough time -I sort of got a question answered at least partially but will explain in full later.
    I will say that it was very clear from the show that Joan had a real fondness love and affection for Elizabeth Taylor and Roger Moore. She told quite a few stories about Elizabeth!

She wore two outfits as she changed in the interval and both outfit's where divine. Totally immaculate and pure glam. :blush:

I will say that her legs got stuck together in the first half! :D

Also her husband Percy was onstage for the whole show, navigated matters and has a very good sense of humour! He also looked gorgeous in a kilt as he's half Scottish :blush::blush:

He was protective of her and I'm annoyed to report that he had to demonstrate his protectiveness as one audience member made some rude nasty comments and question's to Joan and I think stormed out after Percy rebuked him.

He was behind me and to the side of me a fair bit in the hall and I didn't turn to look at him but Joan said a sarcastic goodbye when someone left in a huff a minute later so I assume it was him as the audience was very negative to him for upsetting Joan and being so nasty.
    Joan however rose above it all with style!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will post full details tomorrow as I'm currently packing my suitcase in my Edinburgh hotel!
    That's partially right but they did take lots of random question's from the audience via people just putting their hands up and being chosen. People where also able to tweet their questions with a special hashtag as well as going through the lobby question system. Most people who used the lobby system did so during the interval.

The big issue was that demand far exceeded supply -too many question's and hand's up and not enough time -I sort of got a question answered at least partially but will explain in full later.
    I will say that it was very clear from the show that Joan had a real fondness love and affection for Elizabeth Taylor and Roger Moore. She told quite a few stories about Elizabeth!

She wore two outfits as she changed in the interval and both outfit's where divine. Totally immaculate and pure glam. :blush:

Also her husband Percy was onstage for the whole show, navigated matters and has a very good sense of humour! He also looked gorgeous in a kilt as he's half Scottish :blush::blush:

He was protective of her and I'm annoyed to report that he had to demonstrate his protectiveness as one audience member made some rude nasty comments and question's to Joan and I think stormed out after Percy rebuked him.

He was behind me and to the side of me a fair bit in the hall and I didn't turn to look at him but Joan said a sarcastic goodbye when someone left in a huff a minute later so I assume it was him as the audience was very negative to him for upsetting Joan and being so nasty.
    Sounds like a good show. Glad to see Joan rising above that. Can you imagine paying the entrance money just to be nasty? What an idiot. Anyway, see you back on here soon with your report. :p
    Forum Member

You have really whetted my appetite Hilda, I am so looking forward to seeing her.:)

Dame Joan has always been very quick witted, and I am sure that after more than six decades in the business she could handle anyone who was idiotic enough to make snide comments. :p
    Forum Member
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, The Other Love is showing on the Talking Pictures channel at 4pm today. It stars Barbara Stanwyck as a consumptive concert pianist who finds romance with her doctor, and a motor racing playboy while convalescing in Switzerland. Also starring David Niven, Richard Conte, and the luminous Joan Lorring who was the inspiration for this thread. She doesn't have a large role, but she certainly made a lasting impression on me when I first saw it as a ten year old in 1947. :)
    Forum Member
    You have really whetted my appetite Hilda, I am so looking forward to seeing her.:)

Dame Joan has always been very quick witted, and I am sure that after more than six decades in the business she could handle anyone who was idiotic enough to make snide comments. :p

At tge time I was kinda hoping in a fantasy kind of way that the security guards would have nabbed this guy and held him in position whilst Joan did some Alexis Colby style slaps on him as punishment! 😁 Alas All concerned were too classy to indulge in that!

Is there anything Walter you want me not to say incase it spoils the experience for you -because whilst each show is bespoke, unique and tailored for each venue there will be similarities and common threads between all shows?

I will be typing it up in the early hour's -just want to be sure I'm not inadvertently spoiling the experience for you? Or are you quite laid back about it?

I will say that Joan Collins does NOT like Joan Crawford after certain incidents and during the show Joan basically confirmed that in her view Joan Crawford was the BIGGEST nastiest bitch in Hollywood!! :o:D
    Forum Member
    At tge time I was kinda hoping in a fantasy kind of way that the security guards would have nabbed this guy and held him in position whilst Joan did some Alexis Colby style slaps on him as punishment! 😁 Alas All concerned were too classy to indulge in that!

Is there anything Walter you want me not to say in case it spoils the experience for you -because whilst each show is bespoke, unique and tailored for each venue there will be similarities and common threads between all shows?

I will be typing it up in the early hour's -just want to be sure I'm not inadvertently spoiling the experience for you? Or are you quite laid back about it?

I will say that Joan Collins does NOT like Joan Crawford after certain incidents and during the show Joan basically confirmed that in her view Joan Crawford was the BIGGEST nastiest bitch in Hollywood!! :o:D

I want to know EVERYTHING Hilda, because I am sure that every show will be different, depending on the audience. Did she mention Bette? because I know that she was very nasty to her when they worked on The Virgin Queen.

Did you manage to ask her a question? :)
    Forum Member
    I want to know EVERYTHING Hilda, because I am sure that every show will be different, depending on the audience. Did she mention Bette? because I know that she was very nasty to her when they worked on The Virgin Queen.

Did you manage to ask her a question? :)

The definitive answer is that during the early part of the show my nerves got the better of me -So I tweeted a question instead using a hashtag that the theatre requested.

I asked in my tweet about her meeting the big female stars of Hollywood's golden era and I listed Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford as well as Lana Turner and Lauren Bacall. About 8 minutes after I tweeted that she then started to talk about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as well as Marilyn Monroe and how women where treated those days in Hollywood. It seemed to be a response to my tweet question but didn't reference me asking specifically but the timing and the way she worded her anecdotes really pointed towards it being a response to my question.

However I and others sensed something astonishing in the audience -a number of young people who view Joan Collins more as a personality not an actress from Hollywood's golden era and didn't seem to know who Crawford and Davis were OR they weren't interested :(So her hubby who work's as a theatre manager in the past would be conscious of not losing the audience and so after she talked about Bette and Joan the conversation was moved onto another issue.
    So there was no Barbara mention sadly but I feel sure she was building up to it.

I got my courage in the second half but by then there were far too many hands up and question's on the list so it didn't happen, I wasn't successful in getting specific clarity on Barbara Stanwyck.
    So a mix of early nerves and some audience "indifference" worked against it.

I also noticed when she was talking about Roger Moores wife Dorothy Squires momentum in some of the audiences reaction was lacking. I hadn't expected that.

However I have decided to write to her and explain and ask as I know she can be good that way!

Yes she was shocked at how Bette treated the crew and onset staff but more on that later!! :p
    Forum Member
    The definitive answer is that during the early part of the show my nerves got the better of me -So I tweeted a question instead using a hashtag that the theatre requested.

I asked in my tweet about her meeting the big female stars of Hollywood's golden era and I listed Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford as well as Lana Turner and Lauren Bacall. About 8 minutes after I tweeted that she then started to talk about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as well as Marilyn Monroe and how women where treated those days in Hollywood. It seemed to be a response to my tweet question but didn't reference me asking specifically but the timing and the way she worded her anecdotes really pointed towards it being a response to my question.

However I and others sensed something astonishing in the audience -a number of young people who view Joan Collins more as a personality not an actress from Hollywood's golden era and didn't seem to know who Crawford and Davis were OR they weren't interested :(So her hubby who work's as a theatre manager in the past would be conscious of not losing the audience and so after she talked about Bette and Joan the conversation was moved onto another issue.
    So there was no Barbara mention sadly but I feel sure she was building up to it.

I got my courage in the second half but by then there were far too many hands up and question's on the list so it didn't happen, I wasn't successful in getting specific clarity on Barbara Stanwyck.
    So a mix of early nerves and some audience "indifference" worked against it.

I also noticed when she was talking about Roger Moores wife Dorothy Squires momentum in some of the audiences reaction was lacking. I hadn't expected that.

However I have decided to write to her and explain and ask as I know she can be good that way!

Yes she was shocked at how Bette treated the crew and onset staff but more on that later!! :p

Thanks for that Hilda, I am not really surprised at the lack of reaction when Joan was talking about Dorothy Squires, they had probably never heard of her.

I have to tell you that when I told two of the young instructors in the gym aged 20 and 22 that I was going to see Joan Collins, they didn't have a clue who she was. :o

Marilyn once said, "Fame is fickle, and so long, I've had you fame!"

That is so true, but ironically not for Marilyn, even kids today know who she is, 54 years after her death. :)
    Forum Member
    Sorry got sidetracked by Tonight's Trump versus Clinton debate it was addictive!
    Promise to update very soon!

Walter Joan Collins father was a theatre /artistic performer agent and he represented Dorothy Squires at one point. She came to the family home onetime with her much younger boyfriend Roger Moore(only a teenager I think) -that's when Joan first met Roger and is the origin of their very long and enduring friendship.
    Just one of the many anecdotes Joan told in her show.
    She speaks about Roger Moore with great affection in her voice.
    A rock solid showbiz friendship.