Magic Eye Picture Size

Pudsey WhitePudsey White Posts: 42
Forum Member
Hi, I have just bought a new 32" tv for the bedroom and connected the magic eye. All works ok except a small part of the screen is missing at each side (only noticed when watching SSN).
Settings are Scart/RF1 16.9, RF2 16.9, Scart cont - off, Scart vid PAL
I have tried all the different screen sizes on the new TV but still bits at each side missing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?
Many thanks

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt to do with the magic eyes I would think.

Make sure the Sky box is set to use a 16:9 TV. Which is not the same as outputting a 16:9 image. If you have told the box it's connected to a 4:3 TV then it could format the video feed differently.

I presume that the TV is connected via an RF cable from RF 2 of the Sky box to the aerial in on the TV? If so then the SCART settings are going to have no effect.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I have just bought a new 32" tv for the bedroom and connected the magic eye. All works ok except a small part of the screen is missing at each side (only noticed when watching SSN).
    Settings are Scart/RF1 16.9, RF2 16.9, Scart cont - off, Scart vid PAL
    I have tried all the different screen sizes on the new TV but still bits at each side missing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?
    Many thanks

The Magic Eye should have no effect on the picture. it's there simply to send back the remote control commands. If you remove the magic eye you will get the same pictures. The setting on the TV you are looking for is called overscan. If there is an option turning off overscan should fit the screen though you might see some sparklies at the edge of the picture.
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As graham says, on my SONY I'm able to adjust the picture on the supermarket cheapies I can't so just live with it.
  • Pudsey WhitePudsey White Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Cheers Guys looks like I'll have to live with it as I've searched the menus and doesn't appear to be an option to turn off overscan.

It's a Bush tv so one of the cheaper ones.

Just out of interest if I took it back and exchanged for a better brand presumably I would be able to turn off overscan thus curing the problem?

Thanks
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Guys looks like I'll have to live with it as I've searched the menus and doesn't appear to be an option to turn off overscan.

It's a Bush tv so one of the cheaper ones.

Just out of interest if I took it back and exchanged for a better brand presumably I would be able to turn off overscan thus curing the problem?

Thanks

It might not be called Overscan. There is an option called Just Scan on my LG telly which may or may not be the same thing. You may also have a Zoom option which could also be the cause.

You may not be able to take the TV back if it isn't actually faulty. The retailer you bought it from has no obligation to do anything if you have simply changed your mind about it.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    A 32" TV is unlikely to be a 1080 panel even now I would have thought, so it wouldn't have "Just Scan" or an equivalent as that's only relevant with 1080 panels where the 1080 source pixels are exactly mapped to the screen, with no overscan at all.
    I suspect your TV just has too much overscan horizontally, which I've often seen.
    It used to sometimes be because the panel wasn't actually a 16:9 panel, but I would hope that wouldn't be the case now.
    I have an old Sony LCD set where the overscan horizontally is too much, and it can't be changed operationally.
    Sometimes you can change it by going into the service menu of the set, but be very careful indeed if you do that!
    :)
  • jay_davesjay_daves Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Do you mean a 32" Bush or any panel as getting a 1080p screen in 32" is pretty easy