Options

Have you caught someone filming in a cinema?

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
Yesterday I went to see Bridget Jones Baby. About 20 minutes into the film two foreign women came in and sat in front of my wife and I. One of them got their phone out and started filming the screen. This annoyed me as firstly the phone screen shone in my face which is how I could see they were filming what was on the screen. This went on for a few minutes so i decided to report it to a member of staff.

We went out into the foyer and told someone. She produced a walkie talkie and told someone that she had a report of filming. We went back in and this woman had stopped filming and put her phone away. So when two staff came in looking down the aisles they saw nothing. Personally I think they may have become aware I got out and went out so it may have tipped them off. At least it stopped them doing it.

When i saw Ghostbusters a woman filmed the end credits on her phone presumably to get the theme song. Are people really this stupid. Do they not notice the signs saying it is illegal, being monitored and they could have their phones confiscated and face a fine?

I still don't understand what happened yesterday. Why they showed up 20 minutes late is a mystery in itself. So why start filming it? It spoilt the film as we missed five minutes by going out to report it.

So anyone else seen someone doing this and have you reported it?

Comments

• Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but frankly I couldn't care less if someone is doing it. I'm not the type to report people for petty things.

Plus cinemas are absolutely extortionate these days, I'm not surprised people have turned to filming them and/or watching them illegally online.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even with HD IMAX and the quality of phone cameras these days, the playback quality, both sound and picture, would be absolute rubbish.

The sort of people who do this, and used to do it back in the video piracy days would be happy to watch a film in a snowstorm.

I knew someone who had a pirate copy of ET, their kids were watching it at home...I remarked at how bad the pic was, and they just sort of muttered 'Ahhh...you're too picky. As long as you can make out what is happening who cares?'

The thing is...you couldn't...it literally was a mess of black and white dots.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    digichant wrote: »
    Yes but frankly I couldn't care less if someone is doing it. I'm not the type to report people for petty things.

Plus cinemas are absolutely extortionate these days, I'm not surprised people have turned to filming them and/or watching them illegally online.

It wasn't just that they were doing this but the phone screen was shining into my face while this person was holding her phone up and distracting me. So I am not reporting petty things. Just exercising my right to enjoy the film without a mobile phone screen being shone in my face!
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    It wasn't just that they were doing this but the phone screen was shining into my face while this person was holding her phone up and distracting me. So I am not reporting petty things. Just exercising my right to enjoy the film without a mobile phone screen being shone in my face!

rather than grassing her up to the authorities to face prosecution :p next time, perhaps just have a quiet word :cool:
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I didn't see it, we were watching "Suicide Squad" on the Imax and suddenly two ushers came in and dragged a guy from one of the far corners of the theatres out of the cinema. I assumed he'd been filming
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recorded the sound of Up Pompeii in a cinema in 1971.

A Super 8 camera would have been a wee bit annoying with multiple cartridge changes.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    Even with HD IMAX and the quality of phone cameras these days, the playback quality, both sound and picture, would be absolute rubbish.

The sort of people who do this, and used to do it back in the video piracy days would be happy to watch a film in a snowstorm.

I knew someone who had a pirate copy of ET, their kids were watching it at home...I remarked at how bad the pic was, and they just sort of muttered 'Ahhh...you're too picky. As long as you can make out what is happening who cares?'

The thing is...you couldn't...it literally was a mess of black and white dots.

I'd sooner not watch a movie at all than watch a cam copy. The people that film movies then upload them are sad acts, who presumably think there's some sort of kudos in being the first to put it online.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    Though I didn't see it, we were watching "Suicide Squad" on the Imax and suddenly two ushers came in and dragged a guy from one of the far corners of the theatres out of the cinema. I assumed he'd been filming

Abit drastic lol
  • Options
    TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »

Don't apologize, you've done the right thing. I've never seen anyone do it, but I would report it too.
    Nothing petty about it.
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't they just download it illegaly? I didn't think folk still did this these days! :D

It would have annoyed me too but I'd have told them to stop, however getting the theme tune at the end of Ghostbusters is hardly a big deal.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Are these the people who furtively go round the tables in coffee shops showing you a range of DVDs of movies which are suspiciously all currently on cinema release?

Used to see loads of them round our way (and people, amazingly, buying them!), but haven't for ages.
  • Options
    DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was really annoying your viewing, yeah you couldv asked them to put their phone away first then a last resort "grass" them in.

Like previous said, the extortionate price at Cinemas and are mostly empty all the time, No wonder people watch illegally. If they halved their price they would see more people going.

I dont condone piracy but the greed of these people make it an option.
    Like Sky and Virgin Media, Netflix and Amazon, people will watch free alternatives Sho.... Ko.. etc
    You wouldnt walk into HMV or any other cd-dvd shops (if there is any left) and just take and leave without paying, but some people think its okay to do so online with music, films and tv shows.

I did hear that Cineworld where paying rewards to anyone that reported someone filming in their cinemas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    rather than grassing her up to the authorities to face prosecution :p next time, perhaps just have a quiet word :cool:

To be honest I'd assume a lot of the idiots who do film movies are "well dodgy" and probably wouldn't respond amiably to polite remonstration, so I'd have no hesitation in letting the staff deal with it; all the announcements before the film say you should report.

I'm not being all high and mighty but the rules are perfectly clear and have been for years, and whether or not you see it as detrimental to the film industry, it is at the very least taking the absolute piss out of the cinema and your fellow patrons... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I'm not being all high and mighty but the rules are perfectly clear and have been for years, and whether or not you see it as detrimental to the film industry, it is at the very least taking the absolute piss out of the cinema and your fellow patrons... :(

Amen.

People shouldn't tolerate it, as they're basically leaching off of you.
    They rely on you spending money and keeping the industry going while they enjoy it for free parasite style.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would absolutely have reported them, you did the right thing. piracy is a massive deal and if you care about cinema then you ought to step in if you see someone filming.

it pisses me off when people talk about downloading things illegally - i pay so they should too.
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i would absolutely have reported them, you did the right thing. piracy is a massive deal and if you care about cinema then you ought to step in if you see someone filming.

it pisses me off when people talk about downloading things illegally - i pay so they should too.

When they talk about it or actually do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chihiro77 wrote: »
    When they talk about it or actually do it?

If they do it and keep stumm about it it's one thing but when they boast online about it how "clever" they are and come up with all the nonsense excuses how they're basically forced into doing it, it's just annoying/aggravating.

So yeah talking about it is pretty much worse.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »

Same here. There's also a real arrogance and sense of entitlement that comes with it. I saw one argument, more like self-justification, that was "Well I wasn't going to pay to watch it anyway, so the film industry doesn't lose money" :confused: I'd happily see a bigger crackdown on this type of crime.

To my knowledge, I've thankfully never seen anybody record a film in the cinema, but the thought of it really annoys me. Phones in general at the cinema are very annoying, let alone one being on and in full view the entire time.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a good job not everyone illegals watches films or listens to music as we'd have no film or music industry
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny this topic pops up, a friend of mine runs a Cinema in Birmingham, UK and on Saturday got a letter from one of the distributors telling him that a particular film available for download was from his cinema, taken on weekday morning when the screen would have been particularly empty

The letter was telling him that his staff needed to make more checks and threatened him with not getting their films if his cinema was detected as the source of another movie
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    If I saw someone recording in the cinema, I would just leave them to it. Nothing to do with me. However if (like in your case) the phone was distracting my viewing, I would just tell them to put it away. Can I ask why you didn't just do this?? As you complained that you missed 5 minutes of the film, which could have been easily avoided if you just asked them first.

I don't get how people can enjoy watching films online, especially ones recorded in the cinema as the sound and picture is just not enjoyable for me. But if people are happy then so be it.

It's funny how people act all high and moral about film privacy but happily watch TV shows 'illegally' online. What is the difference? And the excuse of "I haven't got Sky" doesn't work, the show is for a paid TV channel (just like the cinema), so you not paying to have that channel doesn't mean it's okay to watch it online.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why care? if it doesn't bother me I'm fine with it.

Life is too short to worry about such petty things, let the cinema police it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Why care? if it doesn't bother me I'm fine with it.

Life is too short to worry about such petty things, let the cinema police it.

How are they going to police it if they're not alerted to it? There's nobody like usherettes present in the auditoriums these days so I would imagine the management are largely dependent on people pointing it out to them (which is why they say to do so in the announcements).
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Unless the person filming is effecting my experience then I'll say something otherwise, it's up to the cinema staff to monitor. Not sure if its Odeon, Vue or Empire but they have people come in and you see them hold up a night vision camera at the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this attitude.
    At what point is someone breaking the law less petty enough for people to do something about it?
    When someone steals an apple? When someone steals a purse from a lady? When someone steals a purse from an old lady? When someone steals your own purse?