Options

Falling Skies S5 US Pace

Comments

• Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I would assume that the group that arrived here in our history weren't very large in number, nor would they equipped for resistance. It probably took 1500 years for this queen to develop the technology that would later enable them to harness and convert our planet.

Still, if she came here to destroy us, what business did other Espheni have for attempting to conquer other worlds? The whole plot is a joke, lets be honest.

Probably the same reason some people hold grudges against all Germans for the part Germany paid in WW1 & WW2, or all Muslims for the small part that Islam plays in Terror. Ignorance.

Oh come on.:D

Any civilisation that's developed interplanetary travel should be capable of seeing off a few locals with spears.

After all, how did this country conquer half the world with just a few toffs and a pretty good navy.;-)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Any civilisation that's developed interplanetary travel should be capable of seeing off a few locals with spears.
    Maybe they were met with overwhelming force?

We don't know how many Espheni came to Earth 1500 years ago, and we don't know what the numbers for that tribe were. For all we know, the queen's daughter landed with a handful of Espheni soldiers and were met (eventually) with hundreds of spear throwers. Cut off from their ship, they'd have been outnumbered, and defeated.

Think of it from the point of view of a swarm; one human (queen) can easily swap an ant, but an ant army (if so desired) could probably cause serious irritation/harm if, for whatever reason they chose to attack a person.

If that's a bad example (cause ants attacking people might not stick) then think of viruses and stuff; one small virus can infect and collapse an entire healthy system. Maybe there was poison on one of those spears, and the queen's daughter got infected and died from that? ;-)
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( oh noes! I got the snip!

There's bad writing and then there is this. I probably give them more credit than they deserve when I think they should have someone with continuation as a job. You know? Notes And stuff on a wall detailing "canon" details And key events and such. Maybe even the aim of the show, key plot etc... Too much credit?
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Maybe they were met with overwhelming force?

We don't know how many Espheni came to Earth 1500 years ago, and we don't know what the numbers for that tribe were. For all we know, the queen's daughter landed with a handful of Espheni soldiers and were met (eventually) with hundreds of spear throwers. Cut off from their ship, they'd have been outnumbered, and defeated.

Think of it from the point of view of a swarm; one human (queen) can easily swap an ant, but an ant army (if so desired) could probably cause serious irritation/harm if, for whatever reason they chose to attack a person.

If that's a bad example (cause ants attacking people might not stick) then think of viruses and stuff; one small virus can infect and collapse an entire healthy system. Maybe there was poison on one of those spears, and the queen's daughter got infected and died from that? ;-)

Irrespective of the numbers they faced; they should still have had the technology and intelligence to overwhelm the natives.

And shouldn't the natives have been sh*tting themselves?

I know I would if a load of aliens suddenly descended.

Good point about the poison though.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laughable, just laughable, almost as bad as the finale of Dexter. Did I see a guy wearing a kilt in the final scene, what was that all about. So long Falling Skies, you were good in the beginning, but as most shows, lost your way in the end.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Just watched it and my god it was so bad!

Dreadful ending to a dreadful show.

It had so much promise in season 1 and 2, i feel so let down.

Glad its finished, wont be missed!
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    'Thanks everyone for watching for 5 years'

F**k you.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »
    And shouldn't the natives have been sh*tting themselves?
    Actually, I don't think they would. Native Tribes don't seem to scare that easily, nor did (from what we can tell) ancient civilizations. It's only today's society that does, and that's probably because, for the most part, we've got it too cushy and we're afraid we'll have that taken away from us.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I don't think they would. Native Tribes don't seem to scare that easily, nor did (from what we can tell) ancient civilizations. It's only today's society that does, and that's probably because, for the most part, we've got it too cushy and we're afraid we'll have that taken away from us.

Lets face it, the natives weren't scared of the evil Transformers in 'Revenge of the Fallen'.

:)
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you have to hand it to the writers, they actually managed to save the worst till last!

Utterly dreadful doesn't even begin to describe this monstrosity of a finale. I would go in to a rant but seriously, why bother? It's finally over and thank **** for that.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    What happened to Isabella? :confused:

Last week she was Hal's new squeeze but this week there was no sign of her! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did Pope die sat on his arse or did he just have a kip?

I really just couldnt tell!

What he should have done was jump into the sea for an Alien freshen up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    What happened to Isabella? :confused:

Last week she was Hal's new squeeze but this week there was no sign of her! :confused:

This!

Crossed my mind too, especially when if I'm not mistaken (when in the room with the eggs) Hal proposed to Maggie? She said yes. I remember thinking if I heard it right that I'm sure there is a better time for him proposing and Anne telling Tom she is with child. Perhaps a siege on the mothership isn't the best moment for these chats.

I'm pretty sure Pope died. After being blown up he followed Tom to DC then all the way out to sea ( a lot of walking considering his condition and from chat I gather DC and the base were quite a distance apart so for Pope to follow Tom and Tom to carry Anne that distance is a bit meh) just to ask him to shoot him and call him a name. I think they were on crack or something when writing this episode
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    This!

Crossed my mind too, especially when if I'm not mistaken (when in the room with the eggs) Hal proposed to Maggie? She said yes. I remember thinking if I heard it right that I'm sure there is a better time for him proposing and Anne telling Tom she is with child. Perhaps a siege on the mothership isn't the best moment for these chats.

I'm pretty sure Pope died. After being blown up he followed Tom to DC then all the way out to sea ( a lot of walking considering his condition and from chat I gather DC and the base were quite a distance apart so for Pope to follow Tom and Tom to carry Anne that distance is a bit meh) just to ask him to shoot him and call him a name. I think they were on crack or something when writing this episode

They've been on the old Bolivian Marching Power when writing the whole last season.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne; for all we know the Espheni messed with her birthing process, so the new baby could be ANOTHER hybrid. Then we have the fact it likely died and was revived by the Dornia bio tech. Omni-hybrid?

That Biker group were meant as Pope gang stand-ins. I think this finale was written, they changed what would hapen to Pope, then inserted the biker gang.

Pope; what a crappy ending. I always expected him to have it out with Tom. His wife/kids were still alive. His/Pope essenially wife had just died, and it had been hinted at before he had kids that were killed in the invasion. I envisioned some sort resolution, with him going on about losing all the things Tom had...but nothing.

NOTHING on the rebel skitters.

Nothing on whether this was THE queen rather than just "A" queen, and whether the Volm are still fighting.

Denny. And her two deaths. I can only assume there was something about those mist monsters detecting harness kids as "allies" so doesn't harm them, thus she rejoined in the season gap. Would have been nice to know, though. What a pointless death, though.

There's whole swathes of humans worldwide brainwashed into being Espheni allies (previous season). Surely another war coming...the hold wouldn't just break because the queen died since real non-Espheni tech ways were used, right?

The DEM of every Espheni type going boom just because the queen dying is laughable. I could maybe get the overlords since they're diretctly born from her...but EVERYTHING else? Skitters? Hybrids? etc.? WTH?! Makes ZERO sense.

One thing that always annoyed me was the season cliffhangers that go nowhere. A season always ends with "oh we're going in THAT direction", then the next comes and we've moved on to the next thing, almost making it pointless. ie. skipping past cliffhanger resolution and on to the next thing. ANNOYING.

I enjoyed it, but it got worse and worse. The only thing I liked about the ending was that most of the good guys left got happy endings. I wasn't in the mood for misery, given we've been following the characters for five seasons. So at least we got that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of people seem to be making the mistake that Tom popped Anne into the sea at DC, but if you remember that Alien was hanging out near the military base, not to mention that is also where Pope got blown up and lied around waiting for Tom to return.

So Tom carried Anne for about 13 hours to the sea back at the base.

She must have started to smell!

And why didnt the Mason kid with the spikes die with all the other alien tech?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So one of the guys from the 14th Virginia just happened to have lived in DC when he was a kid and just happened to know all about the tunnels that just happened to be a major plot point in the finale???

Utterly ridiculous

As for the collaborators maybe they were kill by lynch mobs or executed after some war crimes trials
  • Options
    wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Firstly, wish people would stip looking tooo deep into things and yest its not goot to assume, but in movies you have to.

Possible answers to some moans

> We don't know how Tom got to the water with wife or how long they may have drove.
    > When they flying creatures exploded they where linked or shot down by other fighters that where there
    >Why the mason with spike not die, - that is skitter human species a complete differant speices, only those with wings where exploding, not skitters,

> Again this is where writers and makers assume everyone has been following Aliens and UFO Documenteries, ie Ancient Aliens, Its been suggested that aliens came to earth 1500 years agosay and stuff, so thats where the reason for her coming was pointing. So its possible to have defeated here.

>After killing Queen all those related to her where killed and the other darklords would have lost the connection - Esphni.

It would have been better to explain the whole Volm what now situation, and why skitters and darklords stopped,

It was a good series but it started to drag, think thats why it jumps to final quick, but ending was a little Bland though - I think they may have been told the show may be getting axe so they rushed it.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but it got worse and worse.

Seconded. I'll also second the comparison to Dexter, both shows started out fine but gradually went downhill before totally losing their way in the last couple of seasons. As much as I liked it initially, FS ended as yet another show that I won't be in any hurry to watch again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wolfuk wrote: »
    It was a good series but it started to drag, think thats why it jumps to final quick, but ending was a little Bland though - I think they may have been told the show may be getting axe so they rushed it.

It was announced long in advance that this would be the final season so no excuse there.

Also instead of tying up loose ends they introduced new characters and completely pointless sub-plots.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Overall I enjoyed the 5 season run.......or was it 50 ?.......:D

Much better at the beginning than at the end

Very poor last episode

Although given that for most of it the screen was pitch black and the actors were mumbled I had no idea what was going on

But I wasn't that bothered as I figured it was probably nothing very interesting

Final unresolved question.......is the guy who played Colonel Weaver the worst actor to ever get more than 1 episode of anything ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    It was announced long in advance that this would be the final season so no excuse there.

Also instead of tying up loose ends they introduced new characters and completely pointless sub-plots.

My point - there may have been more episodes, but since they had decided that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Overall I enjoyed the 5 season run.......or was it 50 ?.......:D

Although given that for most of it the screen was pitch black and the actors were mumbled I had no idea what was going on

I had subtitles on - you not miss much

Final unresolved question.......is the guy who played Colonel Weaver the worst actor to ever get more than 1 episode of anything ?

Actually I thought he was great, one of the best actors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Weaver...maybe it's because his story could be real. I certainly felt more of an attachment to him than I did Tom who got to keep all his kids alive (one of which is super fast and stong now to boot) and though he lost his wife he gained a new one and had a child in the end and was basically going from teacher to leader to president to leader and back to president only to turn it down. I mean that's not real. Weaver though had a very heartbreaking story behind him. He lost his family, his career, his friends. He was always true to the cause though and one of the few who weren't corrupted or untrusting. I'd say he was probably my favourite character in the show. Could well be marmite though but I haven't seen much hate for him. That's normally directed to the Mason guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    F1etch wrote: »
    Weaver though had a very heartbreaking story behind him. He lost his family, his career, his friends.

Not to mention having one his daughters turned into a giant creepy-crawly. :D

Beats me how the actor managed to keep a straight face in that episode? :D