'Hollyoaks' becomes first TV soap to show 'anorexia death'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
Forum Member
Channel 4 soap Hollyoaks will become the first TV soap to highlight the deadly risks of anorexia in a controversial storyline to be screened this summer.

As the size zero debate continues, the show will explore the potentially fatal consequences of the social pressure to be thin.

The storyline will focus on one Hollyoaks's most popular characters Hannah Asworth.

Hannah - played by Emma Rigby - will develop the illness after befriending an anorexic model.

Melissa (Carla Chase) manipulates her new friend and teaches her weight-loss techniques.

The pair become "anorexic buddies", encouragaging each other to starve themselves, by September one of the girls will be dead.

Although Anorexia has been explored in various soaps, this is the first time that it has been identified as a fatal illness.

The young actresses spend hours in make-up before filming to create bruised eyes and parchment skin, and to highlight the veins on the backs of their hands, which is a tell-tale sign of the condition.

Emma Rigby told the Independant: "My skin has a blue tinge to it, almost corpse-like.

"I have red and blue grease around my eyes to make them look tired and scars built up on my face from spots. I look really horrific."

The storyline is the most challenging faced by the 17-year-old since joining the show two years ago, but she insists that she is happy to raise awareness of the illness. "The magazines show the glossy side of size zero models but this shows the unglossy side, the reality of what being ultra-thin can lead to," she said.

Just over a million people in the UK suffer from illnesses like anorexia and bulimia, although experts predict the true figure is far higher.

It usually begins in adolescence, affecting 1 to 2 percent of teenagers and students.

One in five people diagnosed with anorexia dies from starvation or by suicide, according to Beat, which has advised Hollyoaks on the storyline.

Hollyoaks producer Bryan Kirkwood, said that he was concerned that the show could act as an how-to guide to vulnerable viewers.

"But we are telling a tough story and showing the consequences in every episode. I defy anyone to say we are glamorising it in the series," he said.

"If a single viewer gets help as a result of this storyline, it will have been worthwhile," he added.

----

Thanks to 'Liverpool Lassy' at the Hollyoaks Forum.

I hope Hannah doesnt die!!

Comments

• mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melissa will die, Hannah's too popular. I don't know if I can watch this storyline, it might be too harrowing, I'm a bit squeamish about seeing veins and bones through skin etc. But I applaud the producers for doing it and making it realistic. I might just have to avoid the squeamiah stuff.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,840
    Forum Member
    This sounds fantastic. Hollyoaks storylines are going from strength-to-strength. The actress who plays Hannah has proven she's competent to cope with such a storyline.

As previously mentioned, congratulations to the producers for not shying away from such a harrowing condition.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa is the one with the real problem here, she's just happy to have Hannah, coz Hannah's slowly coming into the whole thing and Melissa is just glad that she has someone to do all these things with
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,123
    Forum Member
    This looks really interesting. I don't see Hannah being the one who dies though, as she has friends and family around her who are concerned about her and notice her changing so I think they will be able to help her before anything bad happens.

Where as Melissa is really bad and trying to bring Hannah down with her. Also Melissa is badly anorexic and been suffering from this for ages. Although it would be very sad and tragic if Hannah is the one who is the victim from this illness.
  • circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I wonder how they're gonna show this. Death threshold's round about 4 and a half stone, innit? Are they going to wrap her in clingfilm or something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt it be a total headf*** if the person who dies is actually Sarah and she was hiding it from EVERYBODY!

No-one would be expecting THAT! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, it would be a good twist...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, what if Hannah actually is the one that dies to show that it is can happen to anyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However well a storyline is written and acted it is still within a setting of a programme. I think it is quite hypocritical of hollyoaks to do a storyline like this when Hollyoaks is one of the most body fascist programmes on tv. I don' think it sits well with the lad mags and calendar shoots the cast take part in. The characters get so dressed up when they are just doing everyday things like going to the pub. Hollyoaks is better than it used to be a couple of years ago but it could be so much better. I just think that when your young you get cues from how you think that you are supposed to be from shows like Hollyoaks. I also think it would be more popular if it resembled something more like real life and that it is patronising to its audience to believe that people will only watch if it is what our culture considers aspirational.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch Hollyoaks but is Hannah that good looking blonde girl?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they used to have Chloe - who I thought was really attractive (Miklya Dodd) but viewers didn't like her...because she was fat!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not particularly a fan of Hannah so I wouldn't mind if either character was written out.

It makes sense for it to be Melissa that dies, seeing as she was just bought in for this storyline, but because everyone expects it to be her, it makes me wonder if it will be Hannah.

Does anyone know when this storyline will reach it climax? Or if they're planning to take a break from it soon? I just feel like I need a rest from it - it's a bit in your face, not to mention I find Melissa one of the most annoying characters ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched Hollyoaks a couple of times lately but assuming Mellissa is that girl with the short hair and small face then yes I do find her annoying and assume if she's a plot device then she dies

I also found Hannah annoying though, her going into some flying rage at some shaggy haired guy and knocking over beer cans, lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supervixen wrote: »
    Well, they used to have Chloe - who I thought was really attractive (Miklya Dodd) but viewers didn't like her...because she was fat!!!
    Chloe was the token fat character, I think that she was just too different from the rest of cast at the time and so really stood out and was probably an easy target. I did like the character though but I think that she was cast for her distinctive look which in a way is just as bad as casting some one cause they are blonde and skinny. I think that she is attractive too but that wasn't really what I was getting at. Why does Hollyoaks place so much emphasis on the attractiveness of the cast? I think most viewers just want to watch story lines which they can connect to and get involved in. It would be better if they had a diverse range of different looking characters, like in real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,520
    Forum Member
    I only started to watch Hollyoaks again recently, and I am looking forward to this, but why hasn't it been advertised a lot, like the wedding week, which wasn't even that spectacular?

I think Hannah won't die, but she would have cheated death in a way to surprise us. No way in hell would she be written off. She is way to connected within the show, so if she goes, then many other plots would collapse. On the other hand, Hollyoaks has become quite predictable, so it wouldn't be a surprise on the flip side if she does die.

As some other people have mentioned, I feel that this soap can only chose the cast based on their looks, and try to make someone be the odd one out by using say a chubby ginger person, or a very short skinny person, not on the character at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death threshold's round about 4 and a half stone, innit?

It depends on many factors, including how fast weight is lost and what their Body Mass Index should be. Not to mention the fact that it is often complications like cardiac arrest, electrolyte imbalance or illnesses that are usually harmless but that the immune system is too weak to fight off, that actually lead to death. Suicide due to depression / low body image is actually the biggest killer of those with anorexia.

In fact 10% of anorexics die of the condition and a much higher percentage struggle to control it throughout their lives.

Hopefully this storyline will lead to awarenes and maybe help catch some cases before they fully develop. The more alert people are to spotting the signs, the earlier it can be caught.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Hannah started off bulimic, which would *possibly* lead to all sorts of cardiac problems if she's been throwing up a lot. People like Karen Carpenter didn't actually die of starvation through anorexia - in fact Karen died of a heart attack brought on by starving, bingeing, vomiting and taking loads of laxatives.

It screws your body up so much that (as previous poster said) your electrolytes get imbalanced, and they are what send signals to the nerves to pump the muscles in your heart. So if they get seriously out of wack...it can be curtains. :eek:
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Good for Hollyoaks for dealing with this issue, yet again I think HO is outstanding with this storyline, although it does sound as though it will be tough to watch.

I think it will probably be Melissa that dies, but you never know, to give it more shock value it may very well be Hannah, which is ashame cause I like that character.
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah is looking really gaunt already whereas Melissa isn't. I hope it isn't Hannah that dies but it looks like it will be her at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    i think to give the proper impact of the seriousness of the situation it will have to be hannah that they kill off
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's Melissa rather than Hannah. I think it should focus on Hannah being led astray, not by her actually dying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    If you haven't already, send your thoughts to the show in the questionnaire on the website.
    http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/H/hollyoaks/contact/questionnaire/
  • rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    ^^Just filled out the questionnaire. Its very good IMO.

I am really looking forward to this storyline and im glad Hollyoaks out of all the soaps are going to portray it as they have the biggest teenage fanbase.(At my school anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only started to watch Hollyoaks again recently, and I am looking forward to this, but why hasn't it been advertised a lot, like the wedding week, which wasn't even that spectacular?

I think Hannah won't die, but she would have cheated death in a way to surprise us. No way in hell would she be written off. She is way to connected within the show, so if she goes, then many other plots would collapse. On the other hand, Hollyoaks has become quite predictable, so it wouldn't be a surprise on the flip side if she does die.

As some other people have mentioned, I feel that this soap can only chose the cast based on their looks, and try to make someone be the odd one out by using say a chubby ginger person, or a very short skinny person, not on the character at all.
    exactly, they create a norm by making most of the characters similar so they can then deviate from that to make it dramatic. I think Hollyoaks is bad for young people to watch because it is a very distorted view of the lives of young people.

Overall with this storyline I think that it is a bit much, as Hollyoaks has probably not caused but been a factor in a fair few eating disorders over the years. If you think about it, its main audience is teenage girls and the way women are portrayed in Hollyoaks isn't great. I think Hollyoaks has to decide what it is. If they are going to do 'issues' then they have to be more responsible in the choices that they make if they want to have any integrity. Maybe they don't want that but i think that they would ultimately get more viewers and be more loved and taken more seriously as a programme if they did. Maybe I am just naive to how television works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exactly, they create a norm by making most of the characters similar so they can then deviate from that to make it dramatic. I think Hollyoaks is bad for young people to watch because it is a very distorted view of the lives of young people.

Overall with this storyline I think that it is a bit much, as Hollyoaks has probably not caused but been a factor in a fair few eating disorders over the years. If you think about it, its main audience is teenage girls and the way women are portrayed in Hollyoaks isn't great. I think Hollyoaks has to decide what it is. If they are going to do 'issues' then they have to be more responsible in the choices that they make if they want to have any integrity. Maybe they don't want that but i think that they would ultimately get more viewers and be more loved and taken more seriously as a programme if they did. Maybe I am just naive to how television works.

I am shocked that you think that Hollyoaks would be a factor in girls developing eating disorders. That’s a cop out, big time. People who are mentally stable wont be swayed by thin images anyway, so for people to blame a soap for maybe contributing to such disorders is beyond me. Its like everyone is making out that the girls on Hollyoaks are gorgeous and skinny. None of them are skinny, they are all curvy, proportioned girls (seen the figure on Mercedes??? Sooo curvy in all the right places), same goes for Steph Dean, Jessica, Zoe, Carmel, Nancy. People are making out like the girls are all stick insects. You lot must watch a different show to me then.