Options

New lodger, is this taking the piss!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As I away some of the time, over my partner's and also the money comes in handy, I have a lodger. My last one went after 4 years and after a few weeks I got another one this weekend, he said he just separated from his partner, and they share a dog, can he bring it this weekend, as I have a terrier, I said let's try it. He arrived on Friday, all was well and he settled in.
Sat afternoon, the lodger said, "I am meeting mates for the football in the pub for a few hours" , so I agreed to look after his dog as well, there was no sign of him all evening, I went to bed at 11pm, putting his dog in his room, he rolled in from the pub at 1am with a woman, I did not get up, most of the night, it was chatting and back and forward to the loo.

So do you you think this was taking the piss on only the second day. Should I lay some rules down?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem with overnight visitors, but he has to respect your peace and quiet at that time of night, and you should definitely tell him that if the dog is in the house, so should he be - what's the point in having the dog if he's out all day and night? Poor thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with overnight visitors, but he has to respect your peace and quiet at that time of night, and you should definitely tell him that if the dog is in the house, so should he be - what's the point in having the dog if he's out all day and night? Poor thing.

I agree, but thought it a bit much on the 2nd night, and re the dog and making all that noise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I agree, but thought it a bit much on the 2nd night, and re the dog and making all that noise.

Yeah, it does take the micky a bit... I'm guessing if he has just separated from his other half, he's just having a bit of fun. Maybe it'll calm down as he settles. But the dog rules have to be sorted.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd sort a few things out next time he might bring a load of mates back with drinks and kebabs
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP my step brother lives with me and I had a similar problem last night. He works away during the week and is only home at weekends however when he is he I get hardly any sleep. Last night he came in with the girl he brings home every weekend. Now I have no problem there he is an adult and can do as he pleases but everytime shes here I have to go down stair because they are so noisy. Talking loudly, laughing, back and forward to the toilet and of course when they "get it on". I fell asleep for about an hour on the couch then went up to bed. I was then woken by him going to the toilet at 3am stomping like an elephant, sniffing loudly and then blowing his nose loud enough to wake the street. Then went back to bed and the 2 of them started talking loudly again so I went down stair to sleep and didn't get back to sleep to til 5am. I sound really picky but its every single weekend and I have a 2 year old to get up with whilst he can sleep it off all day. I'm now getting my own back just about to clean the bathroom loudly (which I will probably have to do again later to clean up the hangover sick :mad:) and then I'm going to hoover and ler my daughter be really noisy :D Sorry OP I know you were after advice and I've just sort of hijacked with my huge rant but I really had to get that off my chest. Feels better now :D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »

I think it is a bit much too.
    I feel you have to set rules and regs when taking someone in your own house as a lodger.
    I am not sure what the legal rules are though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second night is taking the piss a bit, so i'd certainly lay down a few rules. He'll likely think you're telling him off but it can easily be done without sounding like you're nagging.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your bedroom door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a chat with him, when the girl went, re dog said I won't look after him for that long again, and as I am away most weekends, if he wants to do this again, that the time and not the of odd few when I am home, he seems fine with that, and yes I guess as a new single,he was just playing the field, grief I never got lucky that quick, after I separated. lol
  • Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    He's your tenant, not your child so you are under no obligation to do him favours such as looking after his dog. Next time he asks, just say no - you dont need to explain why not.

However, he does have the right to bring guests home because he lives there now, but as he is renting as a single tenant, if his guests stay to such an extent that they are using your utilities a lot, then you should increase the rent and maybe change the terms of his tenancy to reflect this.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's your tenant, not your child so you are under no obligation to do him favours such as looking after his dog. Next time he asks, just say no - you dont need to explain why not.

However, he does have the right to bring guests home because he lives there now, but as he is renting as a single tenant, if his guests stay to such an extent that they are using your utilities a lot, then you should increase the rent and maybe change the terms of his tenancy to reflect this.

He doesn't have the right unless he has okayed it with myscimitar.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say no pets. And no overnight visitors without permission.

But this should have been explained at the outset, perhaps in the form of a written agreement.

Being just an informal lodger however, your tenant has very few rights if it gets to the point where his behaviour is unreasonable.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always good to have a 3 night rule too (if one of his overnight guests spends more than 3 nights at the house in a week they have to contribute something towards the rent/utilities). It usually prevents long stays :D
  • Options
    PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    He doesn't have the right unless he has okayed it with myscimitar.

Not many people are going to want to rent a place if they can't bring friends back, so I presume a landlord would say yes. That's what I think anyway.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    three simple rules

1: NO DOG unless he looks after it, not you
    2: NO VISITERS, your house isn't some dosser
    3: if you aren't in by a certain time, you LOCK the doors!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    three simple rules

3: if you aren't in by a certain time, you LOCK the doors
    !

Um.. Whilst I think its perfectly reasonable to say 'no pets', presumably we're talking about a paying lodger here?

What sort of dreadful landlord doesn't allow any visitors and doesn't give the tenant a front door key? :confused:

I know somebody who rents out 3 rooms of his house - all people can come and go as they please, and have the occasional visitor. If you want to make money by renting out a spare room you have to be relatively accommodating - it makes you a landlord after all. They are paying to live there and for it to be their home as well.

Lodgers are neither employees, nor children - they are your customers.

I'd be deeply suspicious of anywhere that charged for a room and didn't give a front door key..

There's a lot of competition out there - lots of people trying to let their spare rooms so it's a 'renters market'. Silly rules will get you no lodgers.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't allow him to have dogs in the house or bring them back late at night from the pub either!:D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    three simple rules

was this posted from blackpool in 1953?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    `
    Your his landlord`
    You either set our the rules that suite you...or send him packing, failing this you will live to regret taking him in as a lodger
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    `
    Your his landlord`
    You either set our the rules that suite you...or send him packing, failing this you will live to regret taking him in as a lodger

Sorry, but I have to ask... why do you do that? It's really off-putting.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    three simple rules

was this posted from blackpool in 1953?

Ha ha yes. I thought it sounds like that hotel Del Boy, Rodney and Uncle Albert stayed in when they were stranded in Margate.