• Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brand is drowning. Throw her an anvil.
  • LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Its not the minimum wage. It's the benefits system. If you removed the benefits employers would be forced to take up the slack. If they didn't, they'd find their products out of reach to their customers and their profits would be hit.

Prior to minimum wage people earned more because they were paid according to what the employer needed from that worker. Now someone working driving van for a company and someone working in an office doing book keeping is being paid the minimum wage because the employer knows he does not need to pay any more than the company next door.

I agree the in work benefits are helping the employers hugely, the payroll has been decimated and minimum wage is a dream come true for them, but it was brought in by the previous government and this one has one foot nailed to the ground, one hand tied behind it's back and cannot move forward as it will destabilise the economy asking employers to pay properly else they will have no business as there will be no customers able to buy their goods and services.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pratt mentioned Lee Rigby with the appropriate empathy (yawn)
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be surprised if Brand only receives abuse from van drivers
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Jo Brand owns the night. Got her wish answered and got everyone thinking about the image of her on her period. That she is an eternal bully victim and we should pity her plight. That she hates the mail. That she is jealous of other women. Hates white van men... This was her show tonight.

Chuka will be jealous of how she owned the show, but he got in two soundbites that he is the son of immigrants, so not a total loss for him.#

Gove just came across totally stupid and exceptionally shallow. Completely interchangeable Liblabcon career politician.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Lenka wrote: »
    Prior to minimum wage people earned more because they were paid according to what the employer needed from that worker. Now someone working driving van for a company and someone working in an office doing book keeping is being paid the minimum wage because the employer knows he does not need to pay any more than the company next door.

I agree the in work benefits are helping the employers hugely, the payroll has been decimated and minimum wage is a dream come true for them, but it was brought in by the previous government and this one has one foot nailed to the ground, one hand tied behind it's back and cannot move forward as it will destabilise the economy asking employers to pay properly else they will have no business as there will be no customers able to buy their goods and services.

Gorden Brown and his dream of Tax Credits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

His legacy lives on.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Jo Brand owns the night. Got her wish answered and got everyone thinking about the image of her on her period. That she is an external bully victim. That she hates the mail. That she is jealous of other women. Hates white van men... This was her show tonight.

Chuka will be jealous of how she owned the show, but he got in two soundbites that he is the son of immigrants, so not a total loss for him.

He just smothered the White van man question with a fire blanket of evasiveness.

What a smooth slimeball.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    His legacy lives on.

As do his debts. And empty pension funds.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a good little QT; I wish more were like that.
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »

...sucking more people onto the teat of the state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of getting splinters I am on the fence about Facebook collating information:
    on the one hand they glean info and send me adverts, as Platell said, so why can they not flag up certain posts and just pass them on?

Don't know.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    It's Romford, what do you expect?

This type of sneering is exactly why the mainstream political parties are in trouble.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    ...sucking more people onto the teat of the state.

Tax credit junkies.
  • Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbott's back
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a good little QT; I wish more were like that.

I agree. Best for a while. It didn't descend into the usual soundbites and baseless allegations.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britains finest politician Alex Salmond on, This Week, well worth a watch
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bitch slap from Norman Baker to Chukka
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    His legacy lives on.

In work benefits were going along time before tax credits, they were around in the 80s over the years the name has changed and differant systems but they have been there along time
  • Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    I agree. Best for a while. It didn't descend into the usual soundbites and baseless allegations.

I think last weeks was better
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was less opportunity for bullying in this QT because the audience was genuinely poor. Not 500 militant NHS and council workers in the audience like last week shouting down anyone centre or right of centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was less opportunity for bullying in this QT because the audience was genuinely poor. Not 500 militant NHS and council workers in the audience like last week shouting down anyone centre or right of centre.

Good point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salmond has been tangoed
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely surprising audience this week. Bordering on 'normal' in fact.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salmond has been tangoed

Middle aged James Dean, in his red bomber jacket