Options

UTV Ireland launches Jan 2015

Comments

• Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    If TV3 failed and UTVI won its franchise, it get TV3's EPG number - this would be the key benefit.
    It will be very interesting to see where UTVI is placed on the sky EPG - more then likely 116 which is far from where UTV would like to be.
  • Options
    chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    If TV3 failed and UTVI won its franchise, it get TV3's EPG number - this would be the key benefit.

Fair point, However after a short amount of time, it's likely that UTV Ireland would be put on TV3's EPG number to fill the gap.

I will say that in this one case the EPG number might not be as important as UTV will have the soaps. No matter what RTE press releases say, Coronation Street is easily the most watched Soap in Ireland (has been for decades) Those that watch it and Emmerdale will quickly learn how to press 116 or whatever number to get their regular fix.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinamug wrote: »
    Fair point, However after a short amount of time, it's likely that UTV Ireland would be put on TV3's EPG number to fill the gap.

I will say that in this one case the EPG number might not be as important as UTV will have the soaps. No matter what RTE press releases say, Coronation Street is easily the most watched Soap in Ireland (has been for decades) Those that watch it and Emmerdale will quickly learn how to press 116 or whatever number to get their regular fix.
    As long as it is as high as about 116 then they should be fine but if it slips any further then it's not good for UTV .. Channel 6 (now 3e) launched and was in the 200's i think at first - it was lost completely and has minuscule viewership. Once it moved to 105 viewership increased greatly. EPG position is very important to be a success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is on 115
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    What is on 115
    RTÉ Two/HD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ Two/HD

Thanks so 116 would be the lowest available number. What platform is most popular in Ireland e.g Sky, Saoview
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could have a case of
    115 RTÉ One HD
    116 RTÉ Two HD
    117 UTVI HD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so 116 would be the lowest available number. What platform is most popular in Ireland e.g Sky, Saoview
    Sky I assume but UPC has a big presence in the cities with its fibre network.
  • Options
    mbutler2007mbutler2007 Posts: 354
    Forum Member

1.Saoview (slimmer to free view in the UK )

2. Sky

3. UPC (cable tv )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.Saoview (slimmer to free view in the UK )

2. Sky

3. UPC (cable tv )
    The thing is that most with Saorview will probably have Sky or UPC too... Slightly false numbers IMO.
  • Options
    chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I'd also have to point out the huge amount of houses that have Free to Air Satellite. A very large section of the population outside of Dublin and Cork appear to have a Saorview/FTA Sat set up, probably as many as SKY Subscribers. Just quickly thinking about it, almost everyone I know outside of Dublin has a dish but most have not got a sub to SKY. (The realisation that you could get BBC and ITV for free is a huge factor in this)
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could UTV-I actually be unencrypted (FTA) on one of the tigjt UK/RoI beams. Yes, I'say so. The only issue with rights contention would be with ITV itself, in the form of a fear that the Irish diaspora in England would prefer UTV~I to the local ITV region.

As ITV's corporate interest alligns with UTV~I being a sucess, I'd guess that coverage in RoI generic sattelite homes would trounce UK overspill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Could UTV-I actually be unencrypted (FTA) on one of the tigjt UK/RoI beams. Yes, I'say so. The only issue with rights contention would be with ITV itself, in the form of a fear that the Irish diaspora in England would prefer UTV~I to the local ITV region.

As ITV's corporate interest alligns with UTV~I being a sucess, I'd guess that coverage in RoI generic sattelite homes would trounce UK overspill.
    I think it will be encrypted in case they ever get ROI exclusive rights to anything in the future - buying rights for Ireland is massively cheaper encrypted then FTA for obvious reasons. I suppose it all depends on where UTV see the station going in the future years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we think Tv 3 will announce on the 31st of December that the last eps of Emmerdale and Corrie are airing or will they let it pass without mentioning it.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sky in the UK I have a channel 191 which is described as ''Irish TV'' and has lots of Irish folk music. Is this connected with either UTV or RTE ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    On Sky in the UK I have a channel 191 which is described as ''Irish TV'' and has lots of Irish folk music. Is this connected with either UTV or RTE ?

I dont think it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we think Tv 3 will announce on the 31st of December that the last eps of Emmerdale and Corrie are airing or will they let it pass without mentioning it.
    It is highly likely that they will just give a promo for their new homemade soap and let Emmerdale and coronation street pass as you say - they will not want to advertise the move too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    No it's totally independent of RTÉ, TV3 and UTV as far as I know - I know its for the Irish expat community but it really is terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know when Tv3 new soap is airing as
    They wont want it going against Fair City which airs Sundays,Tuesdays,Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8-8.30
    or the 3 UK soaps.

TV3 seem to be left with Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays at 8.30-9.00 and Tuesdays are Champions League nights so it will probably air on Wednesday and Thursdays at 8.30-9
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I think it will be encrypted in case they ever get ROI exclusive rights to anything in the future - buying rights for Ireland is massively cheaper encrypted then FTA for obvious reasons. I suppose it all depends on where UTV see the station going in the future years.

A good point.

Presumably the gaps in ITV's schedule left by Champions League, the Cowell shows and Downton will be filled from ITV's own catalogue, and not involve rights contention. Whatever replaces Champions League will presumably be UK/RoI clear as would any other major drama commission.

UTV may have an aspiration to acquire some all-Ireland sports rights which would present the need to encrypt both UTV~I and UTV~NI.

In the not too distant future perhaps UTV in Ireland will function as an affiliate ITV region, with UTV~NI as a sub-region?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wont want it going against Fair City which airs Sundays,Tuesdays,Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8-8.30
    or the 3 UK soaps.

TV3 seem to be left with Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays at 8.30-9.00 and Tuesdays are Champions League nights so it will probably air on Wednesday and Thursdays at 8.30-9

It could also air on a Sunday 7-8 as a double bill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or the 3 UK soaps.

Starting in Jan 2015 from the press releases - I don't think they have released what day's they will be putting it out yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good point.

Presumably the gaps in ITV's schedule left by Champions League, the Cowell shows and Downton will be filled from ITV's own catalogue, and not involve rights contention. Whatever replaces Champions League will presumably be UK/RoI clear as would any other major drama commission.

UTV may have an aspiration to acquire some all-Ireland sports rights which would present the need to encrypt both UTV~I and UTV~NI.

In the not too distant future perhaps UTV in Ireland will function as an affiliate ITV region, with UTV~NI as a sub-region?
    Sport in Ireland is a big rating winner - GAA and Irish internationals (rugby & soccer) would potentially be very lucrative for UTV... I suppose it all depends on where they think their future lies. We have to remember too that RTÉ and TV3 have film rights for Ireland wrapped up so the ITV Studio catelogue could very well be used an awful lot to fill the gaps.

Quality Irish homegrown stuff would be IMO the main money making tool for UTVI in the future - Irish people are very loyal to Irish television. ITV stuff will make them money but to make hay they will have to tackle RTÉ's dominance... TV3 have failed absolutely miserably to take RTÉ on. Everything they have tried has failed because they seem to think cheap, tacky, showbiz stuff will win viewers - RTÉ's dominance (19/20 top shows in Ireland in 2012) show how far TV3 have fell short.

Its now over to UTVI to try chip into RTÉ's viewership.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good point.

I think you are forgetting that UTV in NI has to be fta as its on freesat and a PSB so what you say about encryption is impossible!