Options

iPlayer - Samsung TV vs Humax HDR

2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you get chance, try playing with one of these "new" Samsung internet connected TVs.

I've only had a quick play, but their iPlayer implementation seems a lot slicker than the one on the HDR (I haven't tried any other Freesat STBs or TVs, so can't comment on those). Things scroll smoohtly, and respond faster on the Samsung. Loads of other nice features too.

I assume it's somehow running from the standard PC version, because it gives you access to the HD streams too. They look really nice - if they are the same streams as delivered to PCs, then the Samsung TV is doing some nice post-processing to improve them (or else my PC is adding artefacts when decoding), because they look great.

I know technology moves quickly, but Freesat iPlayer isn't even out of Beta yet, and already other versions make it look like the poor relation.

With connected TVs, FreeviewHD+ boxes and project Canvas ahead, it'll be interesting to see how many devices get sold with each implementation of iPlayer in them. I wonder what lifetime each version can be expected to have?

(I had an early OnDigital STB, so I know about expensive technology that isn't as future proof as you'd think!)

Cheers,
David.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    Just found this post via Google.
    I have a Samsung UE40B7020 and cannot access iPlayer through its @Internet connection. Samsung site adverises it as though it is there but it does not feature in the Avaialble Widgets selection. Any ideas?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arandora wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just found this post via Google.
    I have a Samsung UE40B7020 and cannot access iPlayer through its @Internet connection. Samsung site adverises it as though it is there but it does not feature in the Avaialble Widgets selection. Any ideas?

As far as I'm aware iplayer isn't available through the '@internet' connection, it is accessed via pressing the red button on any BBC channel (apart from CBBC and CBeebies). If your TV is updated with the relevant firmware and is connected to the internet then an option to view iplayer will appear on the front page of the red button menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm connected to internet by wireless dongle which gives me access to the Widget Gallery and to my laptop by DLNA and Samsung PC Share Manger which gives me access to my Media Files on my PC and laptop over the network but no option comes up when I press the Red Button on BBC channels or channel 105.
    As well as Virgin Media, it says on the BBC iPlayer"Where to get iPlayer" TV page
    "BBC iPlayer is also available on the following TV enabled devices and Set top boxes:
    •iViewer by Cello
    •i-Can 2851T DVB-T2 Non-PVR
    •i-Can 5821T DVB-T2 PVR
    •Samsung Internet@TVs LCD: C750, C650
    •Samsung Internet@TVs LED: C9000, C8000, C7000, C6500
    •Samsung Internet@TVs Plasma: C700, C6500
    •SONY Blu-ray Disk Player: BDP-S370, BDP-S470, BDP-S570, BDP-S770
    •SONY Blu-ray Disk Home Theatre System: BDV-E370, BDV-E870, BDV-F500, BDV-F700, BDV-E670W, BDV-IZ1000

Looks like I'm out of luck.:(
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware iplayer isn't available through the '@internet' connection, it is accessed via pressing the red button on any BBC channel (apart from CBBC and CBeebies).
    No, that's the Freesat and (when it happens) Freeview version. The Samsung TVs use something different - it's flashier, and supports HD. It doesn't seem to be a beta either (i.e. it seems to always work!).

Arandora: there are lots of earlier Samsung connected TVs without iPlayer I'm afraid. Haven't seen any plans for a retrofit.

Options are Freesat HD now, Freeview HD soon, various games consoles, PC>TV, or wait for Canvas/YouView next year.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .... and here's me thinking mine was a 2010 model! :)
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arandora wrote: »
    .... and here's me thinking mine was a 2010 model! :)

oops... a quick google shows it was reviewed on WhatHiFi.com 18th March 2009 :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    oops... a quick google shows it was reviewed on WhatHiFi.com 18th March 2009 :cool:

Yes, but I purchased May 2010 and at that stage and afterwards Samsung website said words to the effect "iPlayer coming later". It wasn't a make or break buying decision, especially as it was an emergency buy when my Sony LCD panels went AWOL and got a great price. The OP gave me the, now acknowledged to be wrong impression, that all Samsung internet connected TVs could get iPlayer. Now I know mine is not "new" enough. I'll just use HDMI to HDMI from my laptop.