Is £200 too much to pay to go to a concert?

Comments

• afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    If you love her, OP, then go for it. I just hope for your sake that she doesn't come onstage 90 minutes late - as is her wont - and you end up missing half the show to catch the last train home.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless a way is found to resurrect John and George and the Beatles are reformed I will not pay £200 to go to a concert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    it was brilliant - I wasn't even a little bit interested in the superbowl itself zzzzzzzzzz

I think I just felt my own IQ fall a little bit.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I think I just felt my own IQ fall a little bit.

Ahhhhh... so because I think Madonna's fabulous and the superbowl is dull I must be a little on the slow side?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    If you love her, OP, then go for it. I just hope for your sake that she doesn't come onstage 90 minutes late - as is her wont - and you end up missing half the show to catch the last train home.

I hope so too. When I saw her last concert we had to wait over an hour for a taxi in the rain - it was grim :(
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the concert.
    I wouldn't pay £200 for Madonna, but I'm not a fan.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends where it is as well. She's playing Hyde Park isn't she? I wouldn't pay £200 if there was the possibility of getting absolutely drenched for starters, no matter who the artist....
  • MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how decaded you are to the artist etc

In this digital download era it is the concerts where the money is now made.

I was also dedicated to the artists I went to see but not to the point of handing over a significant part of a months wages for a couple of hours.
    Album sales have dropped tremendously since those days, now there is very little money in physical sales for most artists so touring is the way they make their money.

Yes, that is what I was alluding to in my post, but it does seem to be that they want an awful lot for what can be very little in return.

I wanted to go and see the new Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds concert later this year but balked when I saw the ticket prices, I could but I won't. Unfortunately while there are many people that are willing to pay these prices they will get more and more expensive. There are many real fans of these artists that will never get to see them live as they will never be able to afford it.
  • dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I paid £200 I would expect to have dinner with her .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daleman wrote: »
    If I paid £200 I would expect to have dinner with her .

That's kind of what I thought... for £200 I want her to come round my house and sing my favourite songs. Not go stand in some massive queue and drink smirnoff ice out of a plastic glass :(
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    £200 seems a bit steep to me.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some friends of mine are going to the Madonna concert and have got me a ticket... but it's £200??!

Seriously - I really love Madonna and I know it's going to be great - but not sure I can justify it.
    I might want to ask what type of ticket it is, as I can see some valid reason why £200 might sound to much for some fans, but not others

You have the following areas

Standing, probably the cheapest ticket you can get
    Standing within special enclosure, U2 had the redzone, plent of room, no overcrowding, I paid £100 for hampden park, and £250 for milan redzones, and it was worth the money
    seated, depending where you sit, some seats will be mote expensive
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt quite have to pay as much as that to see Devo ;)
  • wintersnow1979wintersnow1979 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Wings????!

Oh please... :p:p:p

Brilliant, underrated band

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/05/8_reasons_to_celebrate_wings.html

:)

Rather see Paul McCartney live than Madonna mime and suck the joy out of music.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how gone on the act you are. I've just paid that much to see the Swedish rock musician Tomas Ledin but I'm a massive fan of his,
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    hobbleit wrote: »
    Unless a way is found to resurrect John and George and the Beatles are reformed I will not pay £200 to go to a concert.

Unless someone could resurrect Freddie Mercury neither would I :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have not seen her before and really really want to go and can afford it. then go for it.

But if you have seen her before and questioning if it to much to pay then I think you already answered your question by questioning it. After all if you have been before you would know if she was wroth it or not.
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would never go to a concert as some person will film and upload the content on YouTube, so it will feel like you never missed a thing.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its too much. Its not just £200 for the concert, you also have to pay for travel to and from the concert. Maybe for a taxi if it finishes late, food, drinks and a souvenir.

If its not in the town that you live in, then you pay for a hotel room too.

The extras can end up costing £50 -£100 .
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MicroSmurf wrote: »
    £200 I think is outrageous for any gig, I haven't been to a gig for years because of the spiralling cost. I used to be a big concert goer back in the 80's and 90's, maybe do 2 or 3 a week and never paid anything like what they are now.
    Looking through my old ticket stubs the most expensive was £36 for Roger Waters in 2002, but most were about £6.50 or thereabouts, £8.50 for Pink Floyd at Wembley stadium in 1988. Even Donington festival was cheap and the most expensive one I have is £17.50 for 1988.
    Even with inflation I think fans are being exploited, it seems that artists are using cheap CD's to promote massively expensive concerts whereas in years past it was the other way round where the concerts were cheap and used to promote the CD etc.

I got ripped off then, my ticket for that gig said £16.50 :D

I'm the same as you, I've turned down the chance to go to gigs in the past because the prices were just ridiculous.

Having said that, I did pay £125 for Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones at Madison Square Garden a few years ago...I was in New York that weekend and was going to watch it on TV but suddenly thought "Hang on, you might never get the chance to do something like this again".

The fight wasn't the greatest ever seen, but the occasion was fantastic and I've got some wonderful memories.

If you can afford it, do it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, underrated band

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/05/8_reasons_to_celebrate_wings.html

:)

Rather see Paul McCartney live than Madonna mime and suck the joy out of music.

Each to their own - I'd rather watch paint dry than Paul McCartney dodder about on stage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its too much. Its not just £200 for the concert, you also have to pay for travel to and from the concert. Maybe for a taxi if it finishes late, food, drinks and a souvenir.

If its not in the town that you live in, then you pay for a hotel room too.

The extras can end up costing £50 -£100 .

god that's so true. I think the programmes are about £25 each... it's turning into the price of a small holiday :(
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own - I'd rather watch paint dry than Paul McCartney dodder about on stage
    Dodder? That's a laugh.
    When I went to see him he was on stage for 2hrs 50min, beginning to end without any break. He was 61 years old back then.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll probably mime. Like she did at the Superbowl.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    She'll probably mime. Like she did at the Superbowl.
    And everyone in the crowd, can give her the finger :D:D:D