Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2012 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Yep different strokes for different folks, we all have our own ways of celebrating; could be worse I went to school with a Jehovah's witness who didn’t celebrate Christmas at all:cry:

It must have been hard for him waking up on Christmas Morning to a normal day and no pressies:(

He seemed happy enough though:)

I suppose it's no different to a Jewish/Muslim child that is brought up 'without' Christmas. Even with all the stuff that happens around Christmas it's quite easy to opt out of it if you have an alternative culture in your family/personal life.

I suppose this is the modern dilemma of councils/government; how do you allow people celebrate Christmas without it becoming a form of religious oppression to non Christians? You either take the religion out (at an official level) and promote it as a secular festival that everyone can enjoy, or you do what my council did and try and celebrate every religious time of year so that no one can complain.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's no different to a Jewish/Muslim child that is brought up 'without' Christmas. Even with all the stuff that happens around Christmas it's quite easy to opt out of it if you have an alternative culture in your family/personal life.

I suppose this is the modern dilemma of councils/government; how do you allow people celebrate Christmas without it becoming a form of religious oppression to non Christians? You either take the religion out (at an official level) and promote it as a secular festival that everyone can enjoy, or you do what my council did and try and celebrate every religious time of year so that no one can complain.

Most people around the world do not celebrate anything much on the 25 of December, it is just a normal Bank Holiday in the UK, Cultures that do not celebrate anything on the 25th of December some of them are as follows

Arabs (Not Muslims)
    Asians
    Sikhs
    Muslims
    Jews
    Hindus
    Africans
    Bengali

In Harrow and Southall in London the people that live there are mostly Asians, with Harrow now having plenty of Polish people as well
  • Options
    digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I know several people of the religious faiths mentioned above that do 'celebrate' christmas i.e. buy presents, send cards and put up a tree/decorations.
    Equally, the majority of people I know, whatever their backgrounds, celebrate xmas without religion playing any significant part whatsoever.
    There really isn't any other time of year where everyone can join in with festivities if they so desire. However people celebrate it and why, I believe Xmas is still a massively important to many.

P.s. BBC1 on the saturday before xmas is an apalling line up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrow now having plenty of Polish people as well

Harrow has lots of Japanese as well (according to the joke) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    digiblade wrote: »
    I know several people of the religious faiths mentioned above that do 'celebrate' christmas i.e. buy presents, send cards and put up a tree/decorations.
    Equally, the majority of people I know, whatever their backgrounds, celebrate xmas without religion playing any significant part whatsoever.
    There really isn't any other time of year where everyone can join in with festivities if they so desire. However people celebrate it and why, I believe Xmas is still a massively important to many.

P.s. BBC1 on the saturday before xmas is an apalling line up

That’s true Christmas seems to digress faiths and is something everyone can enjoy, I’m not religious by any stretch of the imagination; to me Christmas is about spending time with my family, enjoying the festive atmos and just generally overindulging:)

I think it certainly helps if you’ve got kids cos then you can relive your memories of Christmas magic as a child and then make new ones for your own kids:D

You're right about the Saturday before too - just a normal day:(
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Latest Digiguide update!

BBC1 Christmas Day

6.00am Breakfast
    9.00am TBA
    10.00am Christmas Day Eucharist
    11.00am Film : The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
    12.25pm BBC News
    12.35pm Weather
    12.40pm Film : Madagascar : Escape 2 Africa
    2.00pm Top of the Pops
    3.00pm The Queen
    3.10pm Film : Shrek Forever After
    4.40pm Room on the Broom
    5.05pm BBC News
    5.20pm Weather
    5.30pm Doctor Who
    6.30pm Strictly Come Dancing
    7.45pm Call the Midwife
    9.00pm EastEnders
    10.00pm The Royle Family
    11.00pm BBC News
    11.10pm Weather
    11.15pm TBA
    11.55pm On Christmas Night
    12.00 Blades of Glory
    1.35am Weatherview
    1.40am BBC News

ITV1 Christmas Day

6.00am CITV
    7.50am Film : Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders
    9.25am Film : Aladdin
    11.15am The Nation's Favourite Christmas Song
    12.45pm Text Santa
    1.15pm ITV News & Weather
    1.25pm Film : Toy Story
    3.00pm The Queen
    3.20pm Film : Tangled
    5.15pm You've Been Framed! Christmas Special
    6.00pm Emmerdale
    7.00pm Paul O'Grady : For the Love of Dogs
    8.00pm Coronation Street
    9.00pm Downton Abbey
    11.00pm ITV News at Ten
    11.15pm Film : Couples Retreat
    1.30am Christmas Carols on ITV
    3.30am Pushing Daisies
    4.30am ITV Nightscreen

NB : These are provisional and subject to change, final confirmation is on 4th December
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC1 Christmas Eve

6.00am Breakfast
    9.00am David Suchet : In the Footsteps of St Paul
    10.00am The Nativity
    11.00am TBA
    12.00 BBC News
    12.15pm Regional News
    12.23pm Weather
    12.25pm Film : The Santa Clause
    1.55pm Film : The Chronicles of Narnia : Prince Caspian
    4.10pm TBA
    5.05pm Film : The Lady and the Tramp
    6.20pm BBc News
    6.35pm Regional News
    6.40pm Weather
    6.45pm Film : A Christmas Carol (2009)
    8.15pm Merlin
    9.00pm EastEnders
    9.30pm Outnumbered
    10.10pm Mrs Brown's Boys
    10.40pm TBA
    11.25pm BBC News
    11.40pm Weather
    11.45pm Midnight Mass
    1.05am TBA
    2.35am Weatherview
    2.40am BBC News

ITV1 Christmas Eve

6.00am CITV
    8.15am Film : Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase
    9.25am Film : Dennis
    11.10am Dinner Date
    12.10pm ITV News & Weather
    12.30pm The Chase
    1.30pm Doc Martin
    3.30pm Rod Stewart's Christmas
    4.45pm Film : How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    6.45pm ITV News & Weather
    7.00pm Emmerdale
    7.30pm Coronation Street
    8.00pm You've Been Framed!
    8.30pm Coronation Street
    9.00pm Spice Girls Story : Viva Forever!
    10.30pm ITV News & Weather
    10.45pm Christmas Carols on ITV
    11.45pm Jonathan Ross Xmas
    1.00am The Unforgettable...
    2.00am ITV Nightscreen
    3.50am Pushing Daisies
    4.50am ITV Nightscreen

NB : These are provisional and subject to change, final confirmation is on 4th December
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC1 Boxing Day

9.00am TBA
    10.35am TBA
    12.10pm Nigel Slater's Christmas Suppers
    12.40pm BBC News
    12.55pm Regional News
    12.58pm Weather
    1.00pm Wallace and Gromit : A Grand Day Out
    1.25pm Film : Bolt
    2.50pm Film : Enchanted
    4.30pm Film : How to Train Your Dragon
    6.00pm Mr Stink
    7.00pm BBC News
    7.15pm Regional news
    7.18pm Weather
    7.20pm Film : Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    9.00pm EastEnders
    9.30pm Miranda
    10.00pm Mrs Brown's Boys
    10.30pm BBC News
    10.45pm Weather
    10.50pm National Lottery Midweek Draws
    11.00pm Match of the Day
    12.30am Film : Point Break
    2.30am Weatherview
    2.35am BBC News

ITV1 Boxing Day

6.00am CITV
    9.25am The Railway Children
    11.25am Dinner Date
    12.20pm ITV News & Weather
    12.30pm Film : Land of the Lost (2009)
    2.25pm The Spice Girls : Viva Forever!
    3.55pm Film : Toy Story 2
    5.45pm ITV News & Weather
    6.00pm All Star Family Fortunes
    7.00pm Emmerdale
    7.30pm Coronation Street
    8.00pm That Dog Can Dance!
    9.00pm Dale's Great Getaway
    10.00pm ITV News at Ten
    10.15pm Film : The Holiday (2006)
    12.45am Who Wants to be a Millioaire?
    1.45am Film : Every Which Way But Loose
    3.50am ITV Nightscreen

• Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiblade wrote: »

Christmas is celebrated in many different ways around the world. For example In China:-

"individuals celebrate Christmas-like festivities even though they do not consider themselves Christians. Many customs, including sending cards, exchanging gifts, and hanging stockings are very similar to Western celebrations."

In Japan

"Encouraged by commerce, the secular celebration of Christmas is popular in Japan"

Also "A successful advertising campaign in the 1970s made eating at KFC around Christmas a national custom":eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_worldwide

Quite interesting :)
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is Mrs Browns boys a 2 part Special as someone has got it on Christmas Eve and Boxing day?
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote: »
    So is Mrs Browns boys a 2 part Special as someone has got it on Christmas Eve and Boxing day?
    Yes, two specials set around Mrs Brown organising a nativity play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest Digiguide update!

BBC1 Christmas Day

snip

Three things stand out to me:

Why show the the first Santa Clause on Christmas eve and third one Christmas day?

Will Doctor Who really be in such an early slot?

Has Eastenders ever started as late as 9pm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Three things stand out to me:

Why show the the first Santa Clause on Christmas eve and third one Christmas day?

Will Doctor Who really be in such an early slot?

Has Eastenders ever started as late as 9pm?

Does seem very early for Doctor Who although it has aired at 6pm on Christmas Day previously.

EastEnders was on at 9pm last year on Christmas Day!
  • Options
    BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    It was in jest hence the smilies ;)

and tbh your post was rather condescending in nature accusing me and others of not being true fans of Christmas just because we have the audacity to be putting our trees up this weekend.

Clearly you were generalising when it’s your opinion that anyone who does this couldn’t possibly be a lover of Christmas ;)

Now get over yourself and stop being so judgmental ;)

I’ve also sent a copy of this correspondence to the Times;)

Merry Christmas and upon reflection I sincerely hope your tree at least makes it to Boxing day;)

I wan't being judgemental or generalising but not everyone shares the same opinions, simple as that, personally I think if I got the decs up on the 1st by the time the 25th comes around they would have lost some of their magic. I also hate the way big compamies highjack Christmas Carols to the point where when you hear one you immediately think of the advert it accompanies. It's just wrong on every level (thats simply my opinion anyway)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I wan't being judgemental or generalising but not everyone shares the same opinions, simple as that, personally I think if I got the decs up on the 1st by the time the 25th comes around they would have lost some of their magic. I also hate the way big compamies highjack Christmas Carols to the point where when you hear one you immediately think of the advert it accompanies. It's just wrong on every level (thats simply my opinion anyway)

How is this not generalising, you state that anyone who puts their tree up this weekend isn't a 'true' chrsistmas lover:(:
    I'm with Pedrock Weekend of the 15th is plenty early enough. And surely for the 'true' Christmas lovers amongst, of which there appear to be many, surely a real tree is essential.

Any real tree put up on 01st dec will have lost it's spring and fragrence (and if it's a cheap pine -it's needles) by Christmas.

So i am a little confused as to why any Christmas lover would be putting a tree up now

You sound like a Christmas snob to me:p

I bet you give your kids dried fruit and a shilling for Christmas;)

No doubt your Christmas dinner will be Goose which you’ll enjoy dressed in a smoking jacket with matching cravat;)

You’ll then gather in the drawing room for a three hour game of Charades followed by traditional Christmas carols sung around your real now hopefully needless tree;)

And to all a good night;)

I reiterate I'm joking;)
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Da'fuq is going on with the movies???

Tangled AND Toy Story 2 on ITV? The Lady and the tramp on BBC 1? Up nowhere to be seen!

I thought the BBC shows the new Disney movies and Channel 5 shows the old ones, but the BBC is showing an old movie and ITV is showing new and old-ish movies! I'm so confused! :confused:

I sort of wish the BBC could show all the Disney movies so that we could find them all on one channel! It was confusing enough with Channel 5, now ITV's in the mix as well! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Da'fuq is going on with the movies???

Tangled AND Toy Story 2 on ITV? The Lady and the tramp on BBC 1? Up nowhere to be seen!

I thought the BBC shows the new Disney movies and Channel 5 shows the old ones, but the BBC is showing an old movie and ITV is showing new and old-ish movies! I'm so confused! :confused:

I sort of wish the BBC could show all the Disney movies so that we could find them all on one channel! It was confusing enough with Channel 5, now ITV's in the mix as well! :eek:

Up! is currently scheduled for New Year's Day.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This time of year gets so exciting as we wait to see what the Christmas schedules are and what delights the TV companies have in store for us this year. I wonder if The Sound of Music is on the schedules anywhere over the holiday period?
  • Options
    Five-CentresFive-Centres Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    You've got a long wait.

And some of you are right with your cover predictions. But most are wrong.
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up! is currently scheduled for New Year's Day.

But why??? It's much better than Shrek Forever After and the animation is mind blowing! It really should be on Christmas Day!
  • Options
    digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    But why??? It's much better than Shrek Forever After and the animation is mind blowing! It really should be on Christmas Day!

Agreed. Maybe the new years day line up is so bad they thought they'd spread the good stuff. Pity though - I think 'Up' would be a great Xmas day movie too.
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    That "shame" bit would surely only apply to National Lampoon - Jingle All The Way's cr*p.

Haha! You love it really. Admit it.

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    our decs will be up this weekend as we have always done since kids were little.oldest is now 24 and youngest is 17 and its them who ask us to put em up as they love it.not bothered what anyone else thinks or does as its no concern what people get up to in there own house.all this bah humbug bullshit really gets up my nose.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    post 1000
    just could not resist it.
    :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spudmorley wrote: »
    our decs will be up this weekend as we have always done since kids were little.oldest is now 24 and youngest is 17 and its them who ask us to put em up as they love it.not bothered what anyone else thinks or does as its no concern what people get up to in there own house.all this bah humbug bullshit really gets up my nose.;)

What is this to do with

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2012 Countdown Thread

Unless of course you were just trying hard to get your posts up to 1000:D