Options

Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dead Zone (1983) - 08/10.

One of my favourite adapted Stephen King movies ! ...brilliant !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 39 Steps (1935) - 8/10

I think the whole series is good ...my favourite is the 1978 Robert Powell version but this origional comes close !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Worlds Collide 8/10 ....classic early 50s sci fi disaster movie !

Dr Jekyl and Sister Hyde 1971... 8/10...dark Hammer version of the classic story !...I think Ralph Bates plays the Dr Jekyl role so well !
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Love Actually (2003) - 8/10
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    When Worlds Collide 8/10 ....classic early 50s sci fi disaster movie !

I loved that film. The take-off for some reason scared me as a kid. I can't remember why. I ought to watch it again. Let's hope it is on DVD.

Edit:
    Yup, it is. Also got The Day The Earth Caught Fire, H.G. Wells's First Men In The Moon, and Fantastic Voyage (blu-ray!). It'll be so groovy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Just watched Gag..err what a horrid torture film..got it poundland so its now in the bin :D
  • Options
    MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Love You Again (1940) 9/10
    Breathe In (2013) 6/10
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seconds - 8/10
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravity - 4/5.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They Won't Believe Me [1947]. Director: Irving Pichel

7/10

Neatly scripted Film Noir.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trap for Cinderella (2013)

Interesting low budget British thriller/drama flick.

7/10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Cape Fear , was on itv 4 last week ( watched it this morning )..great film and De Niro is creepy psycho :eek:
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spiderwick Chronicles

Children's fantasy film and a dull one at that. I remember watching it a few years ago and not liking it then. But I thought I'd give it another chance since I've forgotten everything about it. I still didn't like it. Maybe if I was much younger....
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Cape Fear , was on itv 4 last week ( watched it this morning )..great film and De Niro is creepy psycho :eek:

Spot on.

The Gregory Peck/Robert Mitchum original is just as good too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens 9.5/10
    Aliens II 9.5/10
    Aliens III 9/10

The Terminator 9.75/10

The World's End 6/10 - it's only OK. As you would expect, it's not a patch on Shawn of the Dead.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    The Last Days on Mars (2013)

This film's been doing the rounds of the cinemas and the premise is that a group of astronauts at a scientific outpost on Mars succumb one by one to a mysterious and terrifying force. It's an Anglo-Irish co-production and it was filmed in the stony deserts of Jordan which makes for a realistic Mars setting although the sky's had to be colourised pink in the production phase to match the real thing.

The nearest thing it reminds me of is Apollo 18 and, whilst it won't win any Oscars, it's fairly entertaining and it's certainly better than the Keanu remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still :eek:.

Verdict: 6.5/10
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile. Can't believe I've not seen this film before, was absolutely gripped & fell in love with Tom Hanks again.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HEAVY METAL - 8/10
    HEAVY METAL:FAKK2 - 6/10

first one's still a standout, big fat meh to the second, where they didn't even make the animation better ..... it's WORSE!

if they make a third, make it all CGI ..... although a live action TAARNA movie would equally be good :D
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stakeland (2010) Battling zombie vampires and religious nutcases in an Apocalyptic U.S.A. Really enjoyed it.
    Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) Enjoyable way to while away a Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Gravity (3D) 5/5
    Smokey and the Bandit 3/5
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Haunter 8/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile. Can't believe I've not seen this film before, was absolutely gripped & fell in love with Tom Hanks again.

^^ Aye its a bloody good film isn't it?! Bloody long though... :D

I've seen quite a few films over the last few months:

The World’s End
    Not quite as good as the brilliance of Shaun of The Dead, but better than Hot Fuzz imo. You certainly get a sense of closure and growing up from this film which feels kind of sad (especially knowing it’s the last in the trilogy, if you went to see the other two as well), but that doesn’t stop it being very funny and immature at times. There’s the typical references to the trilogy in there (not least most of the same cast) and many new funny moments and ideas. As with the other two films there are clear references/nods to the films they are paying homage to. The ending is quite surprising (I didn’t expect it to end like that) but it is great non-the-less. The five characters are instantly likeable and funny, even the obnoxious Gary King (who Simon Pegg plays to perfection). The soundtrack is also bloody brilliant (SO many tunes in there that I listened to in me youth too…) Only worrying thing is that everyone I know who has seen the film says that I am very much like Gary King (minus the suicide attempts and rehab obviously...). Hmm… worrying that lol. 8/10

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
    Being a fan of the TV series, I was worried about how this would transfer to the big screen, not least because film adaptations of TV shows are usually quite bad. This however, was very well done. The plot was ridiculous but just about works and the laughs are plenty (I was wetting meself at the opening titles alone…) throughout the film. The ending does feel a tad quick to be wrapped up though and the star of the show is easily Coogan as Partridge, but that still doesn’t stop it being a great film. Great film and a great night out - my friends were disappointed that I didn't "pull" the chick working in the cinema as apparently she was interested.... :D Anyways, top evening, top film! 8/10

Kick Ass 2
    I don’t do superhero movies, but I watched the first one of these films and loved it! This sequel is not quite as good as the first one imo, but is a very strong follow-up. Chloe Grace Moretz is easily the star of the show and carries the film. The story isn't as good as the first with part of it feeling like a retread of the original. It also takes a while to get going imo and Jim Carrey does nothing for me. Lindy Booth on the other hand...... Why are Canadian actresses so actractive?! Haha! 6/10

The Dark Knight Rises
    I don’t really do superhero films, but I kinda liked Batman: Begins and although it was good I thought The Dark Knight was massively overrated. This final chapter to the saga as well I thought was extremely overrated too. It just felt overlong and seemed to drag more than me feet when I am tired…. While Tom Hardy gives everything he’s got as Bane in terms of performance, the character is just bland and uninteresting. Bale’s portrayal of Batman remains questionable to me (that voice for starters….), plotlines seem to have been recycled from the past two films (destroying Gotham etc) and Catwoman seems to be completely wasted. The only angle to the film I really liked was Joseph Gordon Levitt’s character and the way the film ended. Aside from that and the directing its watchable but nothing more – I still think Nolan’s best work is Memento…. Maybe that’s just me though. 6/10.

Pitch Black
    I got an Aliens vibe from this film, but that being said I actually quite enjoyed it! The plot is very straightforward and the story and characters follow quite a few of cinemas clichés, but despite that its a decent watch. The budget and acting isn't up to much though and as a result the scale is quite small and it does feel like one of those low-budget independent movies - a good one though. Vin Diesel is also on good form here (looking more pumped than a bicycle tire….) and I loved the dry humour and dark sarcasm of his main character. Its predictable and small scale and there's nothing that will particularly wow you, but its quite watchable. 6/10

The Chronicles of Riddick
    Where did it all go wrong?! This film starts out so well then goes tits up with all the stupid magic and superpowers nonsense! A real comedown after Pitch Black. The budget is clearly bigger though as the scale is more impressive and the effects are better. There's also some more capable and well known actors and actresses in there to help carry the film, sadly the film is just boring and seems to drag compared to the original. Not even Alexa Davalos could hold my attention.... 4/10

Law Abiding Citizen
    I had heard only good things about this film, but sadly I found it far too OTT. The basic plot and set up surrounding his murdered wife and child and him wanting justice is a good one, but sadly very badly executed imo. It became more comical than gritty as it went on in my view. The ending is also massively predictable and rips off plot points from several other films (The Shawshank Redemption being one). It also feels really low budget, even though it wasn't. Not even decent performances from Gerald Butler and Jamie Foxx can save this one. Very disappointed. 4/10.

Rush
    I haven’t watched F1 since I was really little as I don’t find it interesting anymore, yet the further you go back the more interesting it is for me. Maybe it’s like the film says, the danger turns people on. Anyway, based around the laddish rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt during the 1976 season, this follows the highs and lows of both their lives during that period. Ron Howard has easily had some hit and miss films, but this is easily one of his best works, if not his best – the directing is brilliant. The special effects, whilst obviously just that don’t distract from the drama as they can do in some films. The details are also scarily accurate to what happened and are so well created that even the cast look and sound like whom they are portraying. I’ve never rated Chris Hemsworth as an actor, but he was bloody brilliant in this and the accent was spot on! The star of the show though is Daniel Brühl as Lauda who steals the whole film with a amazing performance. Easily the best film I have seen all year! 9.5/10.

Captain Phillips
    Based on the 2009 true story of pirates hijacking a container ship and directed by Bourne Ultimatum director, this film is great stuff! Tom Hanks doing what Tom Hanks does best – giving a powerhouse performance that binds the whole thing together and Greengrass doing what he's good at too - retelling a true (or near enough) story (check out the horrifyingly good United 93 by the same director!). A story so true its almost real.... The film is bum-numbingly long and several scenes in the second and third act could have been cut, but that doesn't stop it being brilliant with Greengrass' great direction (yep, even that shaky cam!) and Hank's stoking performance keeping you hooked to the end. Even though most of the film is set on the lifeboat/closed set with few actors its played out very well and feels very real - even the unknowns in the cast give their all, especially the dude playing the lead pirate. Has to be said though that Hanks is on top form here again though, his scene right at the end of the film is utterly amazing, brilliant acting. You truly feel what the character is going through there. Great stuff from both Hanks and Greengrass. 9/10

Prisoners
    Everyone was raving about this and whilst I thought it was good, I do think its massively overrated. The plot seems to a mishmash of others that have gone before and the culpit was easy to work out in my opinion. It is also massively overlong for what it is - first time in ages my ass went dead in the cinema! That being said it looks and feels great as a movie - all dark and gritty and the majority of the acting is very good. It is however, Jake Gyllenhaal (love this actor!) and Hugh Jackman who give the best performances - Jakey G with a great turn as a pulled out, twitchy cop and a powerhouse performance by Jackman as the father demanding answers and justice whilst having a crisis of faith. This film is also the first time I've been to a screening and everyone has sat there in silence at the end, not moving or saying anything - crazy! Good, but overlong and overrated imo. 7/10.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The Worlds End - 6/10
    My least favourite out of the Cornetto trilogy but the soundtrack was really great.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched The World's End earlier too. I liked it but agree with bbclassics that it's the weakest of the three. I thought the fight scenes were overly long and dull and the ending didn't really work for me but other than that...7/10

Enter the Void - I found some of the scenes in this mindblowing and even though it's long I thought it was pretty enthralling throughout. It's easy to see why Harmony Korine wanted Benoit Debie to work on Spring Breakers. So much neon! 9/10
This discussion has been closed.