Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    It seems oil slicks have been spotted in Vietnamese waters now. They are said to be between 3 and 12 miles long.

One wonders what this would mean... that the aircraft might have leaked out all its fuel on its descent to the ocean?
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always so sad to hear when planes go missing after take off and never found :(
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Separatist Islamists are thought to have been behind the massacre at a Chinese Tube Station recently.

This flight was bound for China. 50% of the passengers were nationals.

Tedious link I know.

If terrorists were responsible, then the recently active Islamic group based in Western China are the most likely suspects.

I genuinely don't understand why they think mass murder is going to benefit their "cause".

A tragic loss of life.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »
    It seems oil slicks have been spotted in Vietnamese waters now. They are said to be between 3 and 12 miles long.

One wonders what this would mean... that the aircraft might have leaked out all its fuel on its descent to the ocean?
    It means the aircraft has gone down in the ocean with a total loss of 239 people. The wreckage will take time to locate but everyone needs to realise there will not be any survivors.....otherwise they'd have been found by now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My fear of flying increases once more, flying sardine cans, bloody ridiculous if you ask me. Never again will I set foot on a plane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gevans81 wrote: »
    My fear of flying increases once more, flying sardine cans, bloody ridiculous if you ask me. Never again will I set foot on a plane.

Why? When statistically speaking you have a greater chance to die in a car accident. I take it you therefore are now going to stop driving your car if you drive one currently?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Why? When statistically speaking you have a greater chance to die in a car accident.

Because I have a fear of flying and I don't have a fear of driving to the supermarket. ;-)
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Why? When statistically speaking you have a greater chance to die in a car accident. I take it you therefore are now going to stop driving your car if you drive one currently?

I have no problem flying, and will continue to travel by plane.

However, it's an urban myth that travelling by plane is safer than by car. If you were to travel by plane as often as you travel in a car, you would be 12 times more likely to be involved in a crash, which is additionally far more likely to be fatal.

The only reason air travel is perceived to be safer than car travel is because most people do not travel by air as often as by car.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,598
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »

However, it's an urban myth that travelling by plane is safer than by car. If you were to travel by plane as often as you travel in a car, you would be 12 times more likely to be involved in a crash, which is additionally far more likely to be fatal.

The only reason air travel is perceived to be safer than car travel is because most people do not travel by air as often as by car.

There must be hundreds, maybe thousands of flights everyday across the world. It is rare that a plane comes down. Although the number of cars outweigh the number of planes, it will always be safe to travel by plane than a car to a journey which both could be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell that to Buddy Holly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I last boarded a plane in August 2001. i can't say i have been in any hurry to do so again since. Its the fact that you're stuck there and can't get off until the plane lands that freaks me out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I last boarded a plane in August 2001. i can't say i have been in any hurry to do so again since. Its the fact that you're stuck there and can't get off until the plane lands that freaks me out.

Agree, my one and only plane journey was coming home from Prague to Bristol in May 2010, while waiting to board we heard an almighty explosion (turned out to be thunder) we then took off into a thunderstorm and for the first 30 minutes the plane was bobbing up and down. I honestly thought I was going to die that afternoon, I almost wept when we finally touched down.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were to travel by plane as often as you travel in a car, you would be 12 times more likely to be involved in a crash, which is additionally far more likely to be fatal..

Not sure this is right. Surely 1000 car journeys vs 1000 flights you'd much more likely to be in a car accident than a plane crash. Fatal or non fatal.

Indeed 1000 car journeys without an accident would be considered relatively lucky. 1000 journeys via air with an accident and you'd be very unlucky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure this is right. Surely 1000 car journeys vs 1000 flights you'd much more likely to be in a car accident than a plane crash. Fatal or non fatal.

Indeed 1000 car journeys without an accident would be considered relatively lucky. 1000 journeys via air with an accident and you'd be very unlucky.

Really? I've been driving... more than once a day now... for almost exactly 9 years now

I make that 3285 days. Luckiest man alive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However an average journey in a plane is generally far in excess of 12x longer than the average journey in a car.

So mile to mile it's in favour of the plane again
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

cobblers

both on a accident per mile and journey youre much safe in a plane
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    Really? I've been driving... more than once a day now... for almost exactly 9 years now

That is not how statistics work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, my one and only plane journey was coming home from Prague to Bristol in May 2010, while waiting to board we heard an almighty explosion (turned out to be thunder) we then took off into a thunderstorm and for the first 30 minutes the plane was bobbing up and down. I honestly thought I was going to die that afternoon, I almost wept when we finally touched down.

How did you get to Prague? Why did you not use the same form of transport on the way back?

You know that Bristol Lulsgate was positioned where it is because it was particularly challenging for pilots to land at, it was used as a RAF training base.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobblers

both on a accident per mile and journey youre much safe in a plane

Tell that to John Denver
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I very much doubt they are following this thread on DS and seen your post request.

As journalists they have a job to do and this is how we get News which you are seeing on your television.

Maybe you should switch it off?

What is wrong with you? It was a simple post and you have felt the need to be sanctimonious? Perhaps you need to switch-off.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell it to Aaliyah
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Tell that too.....Lamest answer ever, We could all name people who die in car crashes too
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,598
    Forum Member
    Tell it to this, tell it to that. What relevance does that hold to what we are saying? What we say still stands.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never even had a small bump in that time? Then yes, you have been lucky.

It's a stats minefield air vs car crashes but whichever way you choose to work out the statistics aviation always comes out the safest.

The old cliché about more likely to die driving to the airport is also said to be true. Even if your airport is within 1 mile of your house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you get to Prague? Why did you not use the same form of transport on the way back?

Train, had to get back in a hurry for ill relative.
This discussion has been closed.