Fans of RuPaul's Drag Race

Just thought I'd share this as I haven't seen it on DS yet.

Jonathon Ross is working on a British Version of RuPaul's Drag Race. He has been working with Jodie Harsh to produce the show.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/story/1/45887/jonathan-ross-making-british-version-of-rupauls-drag-race

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Dear me this can only end badly.

I'm a huge Drag Race fan but don't think the format would work in a localised version.
    No disrespect to the UK drag community but I'm not sure that the same talent and diversity of drag exists over here compared to the US.

Unless Ru is somehow involved I can see the show (if it ever gets made) totally bombing.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could see it maybe as a one off episode, but as an entire series... I'm not so sure.

I think the beauty of the US version is it challenged my beliefs that drag artists would be catty and vicious, instead they are like an extended family. I hate to think that it would play up the "bitchy" side on a UK version because that's what would bring in viewers. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I get the feeling that the 'uneducated' in drag over here think it's all a bunch of older men in ropey wigs and dresses telling jokes. I know I certainly did before watching drag race.

The American drag scene is much more 'pageant' and 'fishy'. I cant help but feel a UK version with UK queens would only reinforce Drag stereotypes; something the US version has stayed away from.

I would be all for an 'international' series of 'Rupaul's drag race' though. I'd even be up for a 'Drag U' style of show where young contestants are mentored by previous Queens. It's so great to see it garnering more attention as its a fantastic show. I'm just not sure the UK is ready for a purely UK based show.