Options

Victoria Coren

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Vicky's in the news :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27101216

Bit niche I accept, but even I got caught up watching it last night. £391,932 for a week's work isn't bad going !

The moment she wins here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7l_xRA0vw#t=306

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vicky's in the news :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27101216

Bit niche I accept, but even I got caught up watching it last night. £391,932 for a week's work isn't bad going !

The moment she wins here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7l_xRA0vw#t=306

Incredible win. I didn't realise she was so good.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard she's a very nifty poker player. Funny, clever and a bit gorgeous. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually publishes her poker winnings on her website which makes for fascinating reading. She doesn't win many tournaments but finishes in the money more often than not. This win is already three times what she made in winnings in the whole of 2013 though !
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I've heard she's a very nifty poker player. Funny, clever and a bit gorgeous. :cry:

She is rather brilliant, really like her
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's always struck me as being somewhat superior and condescending - but, to be fair, that may just be the image of herself she likes to portray 'Have I Got News For You' and similar things.
  • Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually publishes her poker winnings on her website which makes for fascinating reading. She doesn't win many tournaments but finishes in the money more often than not. This win is already three times what she made in winnings in the whole of 2013 though !

It would be interesting to know how many events she finishes out the money in as well as her winnings. The buy in to these events soon mounts up if you go on a bad streak.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    She's always struck me as being somewhat superior and condescending - but, to be fair, that may just be the image of herself she likes to portray 'Have I Got News For You' and similar things.

She does portray that quite a bit to me too, but I really like it. Adds considerably to her attractiveness.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does portray that quite a bit to me too, but I really like it. Adds considerably to her attractiveness.

She is attractive, sarcastic, clever and successful - and married to David Mitchell.
    The woman is a goddess.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

I think like her husband she likes to almost play the straight man/woman around all the jokes on those sorts of shows. It actually makes them stand out more

They are very well matched
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    She is attractive, sarcastic, clever and successful - and married to David Mitchell.
    The woman is a goddess.

Shes my girlcrush! :blush:
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit I liked that episode of Hignfy where she told Godfrey Bloom where to get off!
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a very good poker player who doesn't play as many events as the regulars due to the other things she does. I'm really pleased for her as she always comes across as a nice person whenever TV show her playing.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Good for her, one of the comments under the DS article is ridiculous.

"Will she keep all that money she's won? Yes, I'm asking because I can't imagine it's like she needs it."
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I must say I really like Victoria Coren and she seems to go really well with David Mitchell.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debdaw wrote: »
    I must say I really like Victoria Coren and she seems to go really well with David Mitchell.

However did he manage to pull her?:confused:
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

He is Intelligent and funny....Good luck to him
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I have a thing for her

I admit it.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumpet of the highest order.
    Cap doffed :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I want to learn to play Poker. The only card game I can handle is snap :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see why you'd think she seems like that but she's anything but. I think it's more down to her sense of humour how she comes across.
    It would be interesting to know how many events she finishes out the money in as well as her winnings. The buy in to these events soon mounts up if you go on a bad streak.

I know in 2011, she's posted a number of small 3 figure cash sums as she was getting knocked out of tournaments quite early. This could explain why she only entered 7 tournaments in 2012, but even then, she still cleared over £85k.

She pretty much averages a minimum of £100k a year in poker winnings, so with this win, she could easily afford to take the rest of the year off but I imagine her contract with Poker Stars requires a minimum number of tournaments per year.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

I've often wondered this too. I think he must make her laugh. <3
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double win

very apt :D
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As she herself says, in Poker any time you cover your costs is considered a win regardless of placing.

To date she has earned £1.5 million from winnings (though I don't know if that's net or gross).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...funny,intelligent,gorgeous & affluent..& i'm betting she does a cracking reverse cowgirl...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her play at the final table was the perfect example of how to play short stacked poker. To go from the short stack to a 3/1 chip leader in about 90 minutes was superb. She's currently ranked 355 on the world all time money list so she's no mean player. She's probably one of the most popular players on the circuit.