The Auction House - Channel 4

Comments

• Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    This programme amazes me. I have never seen so much over priced tat in one place!

It just goes to show there's no accounting for taste and that there are a lot of people with more money than sense, especially the blonde who bought the dust sheet. :D
    Some years ago an Aunt of mine died intestate. Took two years to sort out and once done, each beneficiary had the option from buying any item from her Estate.

My Aunt had always been a bit of a hoarder and had loads of old furniture, most of which was really old fashioned and didn't interest me at all. What bits were left went to Auction and one item was a bow fronted chest of drawers....a horrible looking thing which was almost black in colour.

The Auctioneer started it off at £75 which i thought a bit ambitious! Some really frantic bidding was going on and in minutes had shot up to £300 :o. The room fell silent and i was watching the Auctioneers eyes to see if i could spot who was bidding.

Eventually it started off again only now it seemed to be between just two people. It got knocked out at £650...:o...and as one of the beneficiaries, i'd had the chance of buying it for fifty quid!

Anyway, my Mum knew the Auctioneer and he told us after what had gone on. Apparently the buyer was an Antique dealer, just as the guy he was bidding against was also. Both would have customers they could sell to. As the Auctioneer guy said, had they both not been there it wouldn't have sold for more than £300.

I wished i'd still got a photo of it. To me it was a piece of junk......horrible furniture!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Andrew had a strange bike.:o - did he get it in one of the auctions.;-)

And Roger causing more trouble.:D

"Like they do in IKEA"
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guy with the fur hat. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I only paid attention to this show when Sams sexy mate Trilby turned up. She is gorgeous! Could only see her in one episode though so going back to watch the footie now.
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    I just am surprised at there are enough people coming to the weekly auctions what with ebay.

I could see furniture and big items being suitable for this type of store but something like a classic Playboy bunny costume, surely ebay is a much better option

As much as the owner Roger is a true prick, it's his business, he built it up from scratch, he can run and ruin it however he wants.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »
    I just am surprised at there are enough people coming to the weekly auctions what with ebay.

I could see furniture and big items being suitable for this type of store but something like a classic Playboy bunny costume, surely ebay is a much better option

As much as the owner Roger is a true prick, it's his business, he built it up from scratch, he can run and ruin it however he wants.
    Where i live a local Estate Agent used to hold monthly Auctions and i always looked forward to going. They were 'bric a brac' auctions so often had a good mix of items.

I once bought a pile of plastic buckets for a fiver! Nobody else bid on them! Took me a few car trips to get them back home, but made over a hundred quid flogging them off to shops. :)

I still have an Office desk which i bought from the same auction almost 30 years ago. It's a purpose built commercial office desk though. Had it been MFi or Argos 'flat pack' rubbish it wouldn't have lasted more than five years.

Unfortunately the Auction closed down some years back now.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear Roger Allam is voicing some of the adverts too... :) It's like listening to liquid honey.

An excellent singer as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Returns tonight at 8pm for a 3 part series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That idiot Roger Ross is still in charge I see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG designer dog beds at a grand a pop. :D:D
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Dog beds went cheap. Shame really. I'd just mapped out a future making one or two of them a week at a couple of K apiece.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Hmm. Dog beds went cheap. Shame really. I'd just mapped out a future making one or two of them a week at a couple of K apiece.

:D £1,400 is still a good price for a couple of tiny dog beds. Maybe you could use less satin and tassels to make more money.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D £1,400 is still a good price for a couple of tiny dog beds. Maybe you could use less satin and tassels to make more money.

Nah. With what the state pays me for my old age pension it's not worth getting up for £700 each. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Nah. With what the state pays me for my old age pension it's not worth getting up for £700 each. :D

lol :D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Sam and Steph :D
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is that woman in the trailer for the next episode?

Was she in '4 in a bed'?

I know I've seen her somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Who is that woman in the trailer for the next episode?

Was she in '4 in a bed'?

I know I've seen her somewhere.

Yes I think she was on 4IAB.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think she was on 4IAB.

Thanks

It's coming back to me now. I believe that she had some kind of health farm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galia from FIAB is plugging her weight loss spa again on this show.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Tension brewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Tension brewing.

Can't see the new manager lasting long. He's pretty useless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oh, that's a shame. The painting was much nicer without the giraffes on it.
    Forum Member
    a lot of people with more money than sense imo, i cant believe the price of some of the junk :D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £500 minimum.

Can we have £400 - £600

Yes :D
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    a lot of people with more money than sense imo, i cant believe the price of some of the junk :D

I'm watching it and keep thinking "Oh, I like that!" :blush:

Mind you, I probably have an income a lot more modest than their average client! :D