Disgusted at Coronation Street!

13»

Comments

• Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Two things I hope about this farcical debt storyline:

That OFCOM takes whatever steps it can to censure Blackburn and the rest of the production team over the inaccuracies.

Being total fiction of what happens if a debt collector arrives at your door, someone really in debt and worried doesn't regard it as fact and commits suicide as a result of seeing the programme.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it annoys me that every time they're called on how unrealstic a storyline is they always trot out the "we research the story meticulously" nonsense when they clearly don't. Or, if they DO, they choose to ignore everything they're told.

Classic examples are whenever someone makes a call to Social Services about a child's welfare. Within minutes 2 social workers turn up at the door and haul the wailing child off, despite no evidence of neglect/abuse other than a malicious, anonymous call. This would NEVER happen in real life.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is drama and drama, but the writers really need to do their research carefully. As someone said, Owen's work van shouldn't have been taken away. Also back when Owen got into partnership with Phelan, there should have been a contract signed. When the bank turned him down, there must have been a reason. What bank will give a loan to someone going into business with a bankrupt. The whole story is so wrong on all levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »

That OFCOM takes whatever steps it can to censure Blackburn and the rest of the production team over the inaccuracies.

Being total fiction of what happens if a debt collector arrives at your door, someone really in debt and worried doesn't regard it as fact and commits suicide as a result of seeing the programme.

You're right. OFCOM should take SB to task on inaccuracies. Debt is such a serious matter and yes some people not very strong quite likely to commit suicide.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For goodness sake, what OTT hysterical nonsense.

Some people really do sit at home, poised and eager to be "outraged" by the slightest thing they see on TV, don't they?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it annoys me that every time they're called on how unrealstic a storyline is they always trot out the "we research the story meticulously" nonsense when they clearly don't. Or, if they DO, they choose to ignore everything they're told.

Classic examples are whenever someone makes a call to Social Services about a child's welfare. Within minutes 2 social workers turn up at the door and haul the wailing child off, despite no evidence of neglect/abuse other than a malicious, anonymous call. This would NEVER happen in real life.

They may well research the stories but every single storyline they do seems to be exaggerated and sensationalised. Hardly a surprise when they can't even have something as simple as a funeral or a wedding pass off peacefully without something quite outrageous and unprecedented happen at it ie. the bride and groom have a huge showdown at the altar and accuse each other of cheating or a big punch up at the graveside.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    For goodness sake, what OTT hysterical nonsense.

Some people really do sit at home, poised and eager to be "outraged" by the slightest thing they see on TV, don't they?
    Well, Corrie regularly blows its own trumpet about handling sensitive issues in a well-researched, responsible and informative way. So the programme should take some criticism when it uses excessive dramatic licence for the fantastical handling of a sensitive issue which is likely to affect many viewers.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    There is drama and drama, but the writers really need to do their research carefully. As someone said, Owen's work van shouldn't have been taken away. Also back when Owen got into partnership with Phelan, there should have been a contract signed. When the bank turned him down, there must have been a reason. What bank will give a loan to someone going into business with a bankrupt. The whole story is so wrong on all levels.

I'd always assumed that there was no official contract and Pohelan's name didn't appear on any papaerwork due to his being a bankrupt. Owen was fronting the whole thing. And really, Owen should have known better to go anywhere near a deal like that (you never take out a loan for somebody else who promises to make the payments even someone you know and love) even without his knowing that he was a proven cheat. But he allowed Izzy, Katy and gary's going on about the better way of life they'd have after the deal (aka greed, wanting something for nothing) to over ride his and Anna's reticence.

Did they take the van? I thought they backed off on that when he said it was for his work. As tey should - even court declared bankrupts are allowed to keep equipment needed to ear a living.

I agree, there is drama and drama and some issues are just too important and affect too many viewers to be treated so flippantly. People do kill themselves (and even sometimes horrifically their families as well as themselves) over debt issues and this won't have helped allay fears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I'd always assumed that there was no official contract and Pohelan's name didn't appear on any papaerwork due to his being a bankrupt. Owen was fronting the whole thing. And really, Owen should have known better to go anywhere near a deal like that (you never take out a loan for somebody else who promises to make the payments even someone you know and love) even without his knowing that he was a proven cheat. But he allowed Izzy, Katy and gary's going on about the better way of life they'd have after the deal (aka greed, wanting something for nothing) to over ride his and Anna's reticence.

Did they take the van? I thought they backed off on that when he said it was for his work. As tey should - even court declared bankrupts are allowed to keep equipment needed to ear a living.

I agree, there is drama and drama and some issues are just too important and affect too many viewers to be treated so flippantly. People do kill themselves (and even sometimes horrifically their families as well as themselves) over debt issues and this won't have helped allay fears.

I missed a bit of Corrie, but heard that when the bank turned Owen down, he went to a loan shark. I think they did take the van, but cant be sure.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed a bit of Corrie, but heard that when the bank turned Owen down, he went to a loan shark. I think they did take the van, but cant be sure.

Yes, I was wrong, bornfree, Owen was turned down by the bank. He then borrowed the £80,000 from a loan shark at massive interest. So he owes £80,000+++ to the loan shark and £5,000+ to somebody else - probably househould bills/mortgage. I saw a documentary about bailliffs/debt collectors recently where two men went and evicted a family who had got behind on their mortgage; so Owen could lose the house.
    I hope the producer has got all the facts right about this as there must be many people in this situation due to the recent recession.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was wrong, bornfree, Owen was turned down by the bank. He then borrowed the £80,000 from a loan shark at massive interest. So he owes £80,000+++ to the loan shark and £5,000+ to somebody else - probably househould bills/mortgage. I saw a documentary about bailliffs/debt collectors recently where two men went and evicted a family who had got behind on their mortgage; so Owen could lose the house.
    I hope the producer has got all the facts right about this as there must be many people in this situation due to the recent recession.

I still don't understand though the legalities of how Owen managed to "lose" his share of £80,000 in the housing development? Phelan eventually released Owen from the business venture and carried on alone but how can he legally hold onto the £80,000 that Owen invested if it was all done under contract?
    Forum Member

Yes he did go to the loan shark using the house as security so really they should be taking steps to claim that rather than seizing assets.

We didn't see them drive off in it or have it towed away - I guess we'll have to see if it is still around in coming episodes.
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I still don't understand though the legalities of how Owen managed to "lose" his share of £80,000 in the housing development? Phelan eventually released Owen from the business venture and carried on alone but how can he legally hold onto the £80,000 that Owen invested if it was all done under contract?

The basic answer is that none of the contracts were done legally and I suppose they are still worried that Phelan could tell the Police about Gary attacking him - he could have multiple copies of that CCTV footage. They seemed to think that being let off finishing the contract at no pay was good enough.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The business proposition wasn't kosher. By that I mean a financial planner wouldn't have advised Owen to have gone through with it, and if the police got word that a bankrupt man was fronting a project (even though everything was in his wife's name) surely he'd be arrested. Phelan's contract probably said nothing about the investment.

At the end of the day the Windass-Armstrong clan got greedy and got their comeuppances. Owen visiting the banks and not getting a loan should have served as a sign.
    Forum Member
    I emailed Corrie about the irresponsibility of getting facts wrong and sensationalising the story and the possible effects it could have on the vulnerable. I got the reply that:

They were bailiffs (contrary to what we know and heard).

They assumed Owen was in the building from what Faye said (even though debt collectors are not allowed in at all and bailiffs have to check).

They try to be factual, but for drama sometimes have to stray "from the manual".

They try to educate and inform (not in this case|), but their raison d'etre is to entertain as a drama serial (it's not entertaining for facts to be so farcically wrong - just extremely irritating and worrying for some).

The majority of viewers don't expect absolute accuracy - but we do expect some semblance of it.

They can't give so much information that it becomes a drama-documentary - no chance of that whatsoever.

In other words it's a complete work of fantasy, not as ITV states "Coronation Street is the story of the everyday lives of ordinary folk living in a northern town called Weatherfield." And they don't seem in the least bit concerned about the effect such misinformation could have on the vulnerable.

The gave the following for taking it further - Ofcom at Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HA
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if the Courts declare Owen Bankrupt, that would stop any debt collectors from chasing him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The business proposition wasn't kosher. By that I mean a financial planner wouldn't have advised Owen to have gone through with it, and if the police got word that a bankrupt man was fronting a project (even though everything was in his wife's name) surely he'd be arrested. Phelan's contract probably said nothing about the investment.

At the end of the day the Windass-Armstrong clan got greedy and got their comeuppances. Owen visiting the banks and not getting a loan should have served as a sign.

That seems to be the upshot of it alright. Pure greed from Owen and the Windasses by getting involved with a shyster and predictably it all went horribly wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed Corrie about the irresponsibility of getting facts wrong and sensationalising the story and the possible effects it could have on the vulnerable. I got the reply that:

They assumed Owen was in the building from what Faye said (even though debt collectors are not allowed in at all and bailiffs have to check).

They try to be factual, but for drama sometimes have to stray "from the manual".

They try to educate and inform (not in this case|), but their raison d'etre is to entertain as a drama serial (it's not entertaining for facts to be so farcically wrong - just extremely irritating and worrying for some).

The majority of viewers don't expect absolute accuracy - but we do expect some semblance of it.

They can't give so much information that it becomes a drama-documentary - no chance of that whatsoever.

In other words it's a complete work of fantasy, not as ITV states "Coronation Street is the story of the everyday lives of ordinary folk living in a northern town called Weatherfield." And they don't seem in the least bit concerned about the effect such misinformation could have on the vulnerable.

The gave the following for taking it further - Ofcom at Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HA

It's a long, long way from the 'kitchen sink' dramas of the late 1950s and early 1960s like Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, Look Back In Anger and Cathy Come Home.

Every single storyline seems to be sensationalised to the nth degree for dramatic effect. They don't even bother with quality characterisation or good acting.....they're just churning out melodrama and OTT storylines for the sake of it.
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Surely if the Courts declare Owen Bankrupt, that would stop any debt collectors from chasing him.
    You don't think Corrie will let that get in the way of their fantasy do you?

Or they could do what they usually do - it won't be mentioned again because that's that story dealt with. Let's move on to the next one.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit sickening, not real.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The debt collectors came round before the bankruptcy hearing. I think there may be two different debts/creditors involved.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

he majority of viewers don't expect absolute accuracy - but we do expect some semblance of it.

Thankyou for trying, Janet 43, even if it was a waste of your time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou for trying, Janet 43, even if it was a waste of your time.

What the blazes is this?
    Two Janet's??

I'm gonna have to start calling my favourite Janet "Mrs P" I think.
    I can't see any other way around this.

My dear old mam is called Janet too, which only confuses me further.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Storyline is ridiculous, the writers haven't got a CLUE what they're doing!
  • PerfumedDivaPerfumedDiva Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes exactly. They would have to contact the administrators not the debtor.