Options

Made in Bristol - Local TV

Comments

• Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we get this channel if you live in Weston super mare?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Could we get this channel if you live in Weston super mare?

Page 39

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/coverage-note.pdf

Probably not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    DX30 wrote: »
    According to ukfree tv the new Bristol local tv mux will be on C30

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ST577700

please do not quote from such an unreliable source. this site has repeatedly stated rumours as fact. in future use the reports from Ofcom. at least they're reliable.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    Made in Bristol is such a rubbish name. They should call it "the bristol channel" (copyright me)

I seem to remember that Bristol Channel, was the name of the cable channel which played out on Redifusion in the late sixties.;-)
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice looking studio on the header of @chrisjamesnews (if that is the studio of course)
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    That's the multiplex switch-on date, not the channel launch date.

All the multiplex switch-on dates are listed here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67631599&postcount=333

That is an official list taken from a legally binding Ofcom document. I wouldn't trust ukfree as far as I can throw it, it's a jumble of facts and speculation.

You say its official yet it seems no more accurate than any of the other sites.

It lists Sutton Coldfield as being switched on from the 30th Jan 2014 yet I can confirm this multiplex has been on air from SC since late November/early December and we have coloured bar test screens on channels 791 and 792.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    That's the multiplex switch-on date, not the channel launch date.

All the multiplex switch-on dates are listed here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67631599&postcount=333

That is an official list taken from a legally binding Ofcom document. I wouldn't trust ukfree as far as I can throw it, it's a jumble of facts and speculation.

I assumed "multiplex switch-on date" was when engineering tests were allowed to start not the official launch. I found the Ofcom document which clarified the launch dates as detailed above.

I was under the impression however that to perform tests several months before the switch-on date they had to apply for permission yet I could not find any details of this. This is why I assumed the posted dates were listing the earliest dates we would expect the first engineering test transmissions to be seen especially as we are not expecting City TV to launch until May 2014.

Apologies for thread hi-jacking, please feel free to get it back on track and talk about Bristol Local TV :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launching after 31 March. I asked if MiB would launch at the same time as London Live and the response was that station launches are similar to planes stacking to land a Heathrow.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard that it will also be transmitted from Mendip on ch51 as well as the two main Bristol relays on ch30. Recent manual checks on ch51 show a signal of 60% strength but no signal quality.
    Its interesting to note that the Cardiff local tv service will be transmitted from Wenvoe also on ch51.
    I hope somebody knows what they are doing because many of us know that there is a considerable overlap in UHF coverage between Mendip and Wenvoe which will still occur with the lower powers of these new local TV transmitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard that it will also be transmitted from Mendip on ch51 as well as the two main Bristol relays on ch30. Recent manual checks on ch51 show a signal of 60% strength but no signal quality.
    Its interesting to note that the Cardiff local tv service will be transmitted from Wenvoe also on ch51.
    I hope somebody knows what they are doing because many of us know that there is a considerable overlap in UHF coverage between Mendip and Wenvoe which will still occur with the lower powers of these new local TV transmitters.

Signal strength on ch51 in Fishponds is alternating from 91, then 34, then 30 on a pretty regular loop. Signal quality remains on 0 at all times.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m getting a strong steady signal of 80% and 80% quality on channel 30 from Ilchester Crescent in south Bristol at the moment.
  • Options
    hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    nothing here from ilchester crescent
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hartcliffe wrote: »

Nothing here ether in terms of transmissions of any sorts, just the dead carrier, 80% signal + 80% quality.

It could of course be white noise but I don’t think so.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hartcliffe wrote: »

Some receivers cannot 'see' these null packet DVB-T tests, others can, and will display bargraph readings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Some receivers cannot 'see' these null packet DVB-T tests, others can, and will display bargraph readings

thanks I learn something every day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking up a data carrier on ch51 on my scanner this afternoon. Have not checked the Freeview STB yet. Possibly some early tests from Mendip but as it's weak could possibly be from Wenvoe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    791/2 are showing local tv test cards now from Mendip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I confirm that local mux on ch D51 from Mendip is now on. Colour bars and test tone with a signal strength of 67% and 100% signal quality.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    791/2 are showing local tv test cards now from Mendip.
    I confirm that local mux on ch D51 from Mendip is now on. Colour bars and test tone with a signal strength of 67% and 100% signal quality.

...and here's today's tweet from Made in Bristol showing the test screen: https://twitter.com/madeinbristoltv/status/428663257646522368/photo/1

At least this development means that they are a real step nearer to launching. :)
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least this development means that they are a real step nearer to launching. :)
    Isn't it supposed to launch today? I haven't been following things very closely, because although on Mendip, I don't expect to get the local signal, maybe under DX conditions someday.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Bizman wrote: »
    Isn't it supposed to launch today?

The mux is, yes. The channel, no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getting test 1 and test 2 from ilchester crescent now
  • Options
    jpg23jpg23 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »

But looking at the same document you have a chance of receiving the Wenvoe local channel on Ch51, depending where in Weston-S-M you are.

Makes sense as the Hutton/Kewstoke relays exist to provide correct regional PSB programming to an area that would otherwise be well served from Wenvoe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I am receiving a picture from BONANZABONANZA and Local (791) in Chippenham, approx 50% Strength and 28% quality using a high gain aerial and mast head amplifier. The signal is beamed upward from the Mendip Mast towards the North East and the furthest West is Bristol side of Bath. Anyone else picking it up way out of predicted coverage area?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    any ideal of a start up date