Game On

Comments

• f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Stuke will forever be my favourite incarnation.

He got the weasliness of the character down to a tee.

The vacuum cleaner scene is one of my favourite scenes in comedy, and I couldn't imagine Chaplin playing it the same way.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's on iPlayer and On Demand. They just took their time making it available.

Well it's gone off Iplayer again then, usually I can get it off the server before the website is updated.
    It's Mrs Merton I really want though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure what's going on as Game On is still available on Sky On Demand :confused:
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason why a lot of archive programmes are not made available on iPlayer is because there was no concept of an iPlayer when the programmes were made and the contracts were drawn up. Sometimes agreements are negotiated to allow 1970s/'80s/'90s etc programmes to be put on iPlayer, but more often than not, they aren't.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    The vacuum cleaner scene is one of my favourite scenes in comedy, and I couldn't imagine Chaplin playing it the same way.

Was hilarious that :D

also 'Your Ginger!' :D

I like the one where he finally trys to venture out as well, can't really remember what happens, but i think he runs away from an old woman who speaks to him or something, or faints or summit :p
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think Both actors playing Matt had their strong points

Ben played him well as sort of unhinged but not too crazy, You could see he was trapped and lonely just with his mannerisms

Neil as said above played his weasily side really well and made him that bit more pathetic and weird
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised how much I enjoyed Ben Chaplin in that episode, but Neil Stuke really made the part his own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleedin thing isn't on Iplayer, neither is Mrs Merton or Gimme, luckily I recorded Gimme.
    Maybe the BBC only has single showing repeat rights, although, I can't think why.

Why should it be on iplayer when the DVds have been out for years.

Id love 1 last reunion special.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Remember "Double hard bastards" and "girly shirt-lifting tosspieces"!

Or something like that!

Matt in Mandy's bed, wearing Mandy's knickers!

"There's a time to surf, and there's a time to wax your board".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Neil Stuke will forever be my favourite incarnation.

He got the weasliness of the character down to a tee.

I couldnt imagine Ben getting all pally pally with them like Neil did.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much of its time with the lad/ladette vibe. Not exactly an all time classic but still more than watchable
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    That is when Ben Chaplin left and Neil Stuke took over. In my opinion, this is just about the only instance I can remember when somebody else took over as the main character and managed to make the role their own in a way that was virtually seamless.

Men behaving badly did the same thing.
  • David166David166 Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the episode in series 1 when Matt joined a band....

"I'm on the streets, i'm in the gutter, it's years since I've had bread and butterrrrrrrrrrr!!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much of its time with the lad/ladette vibe. Not exactly an all time classic but still more than watchable

Id rate it over anything on tv today!
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Sort of. Only Tony was a different character to Harry Ensfields character. Neil Morrisey didn't take over someone's role so it was easier for him. Tony was much better though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    True - I'd forgotten about that, except that Harry Enfield was only in the pilot - as far as I know.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    True - I'd forgotten about that, except that Harry Enfield was only in the pilot - as far as I know.
    Enfield was in the first series as Dermot. Morrisey played a different character, Tony, from S2 onwards
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Enfield was in the first series as Dermot. Morrisey played a different character, Tony, from S2 onwards

Wasn't the first series shown on ITV? As I remember, it flopped there before being taken up by the Beeb, rejigged, and becoming a bit hit.

Since many of the Beeb viewers wouldn't even have seen the first series, it was pretty easy to change some of the characters without it being jarring.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this again recently on DVD. Loved the randomness, characters and writing. The best thing of all though was the series didn't seem to have any boundries like today's sitcoms.
    I remember being at school when it was on, and hearing the word, Wa***r on TV was a huge thing.
    Both matthews had their good and bad points. Ben Chaplin played Matt so well. He ACTUALLY looked bored and lonely..great performence.
    Neil Stuke took him in a different direction, weird, strange and just annoying. Could you imagine Ben Chaplin fancying a man if he were in the 2nd series?

I think we all had a bit of Martin Henson in us..Such a nice guy but always messes things up..brilliant.

Sam Janus was, and still is gorgeous. Her character was written so well, she seemed to really enjoy what she was doing..

I could go on but i'd be here forever. In short..great show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=rhynoGB;73346623Could you imagine Ben Chaplin fancying a man if he were in the 2nd series?[/QUOTE]As I remember it, Neil Stuke's character simply thought the other guy was his bestest friend :D The joke was that he was oblivious to the fact that the bloke actually fancied him.

Some of the scenes between Martin and Claire were embarrassingly cringeworthy but very funny. I've never seen him in anything else.

Edit: just niched this from Wiki:

"Matthew has appeared as a regular in many successful television series including three series as Martin in the Bafta nominated Game On. He has had recurring roles in Life Begins, Get Well Soon, A Perfect State, Taking the Floor and most recently Citizen Khan. Other television roles include The Job Lot, Pramface, Man Down, Eastenders, Holby City and many more."

That explains why I've never seen him in anything else :D
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id rate it over anything on tv today!

That may or may not be the case, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the all time greats.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may or may not be the case, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the all time greats.

I think if you compare it to todays sitcom, it does seem a little more grounded and doesn't come across as false.
    Alot of modern sitcoms are restricted with what they can say and do, which makes it come across as fake. It does to me anyway.
    Game on comes across as funny, not forced funny you seem to have these days.

Plebs & Hello Ladies for me, are the only ones I generally find funny.
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I think if you compare it to todays sitcom, it does seem a little more grounded and doesn't come across as false.
    Alot of modern sitcoms are restricted with what they can say and do, which makes it come across as fake. It does to me anyway.
    Game on comes across as funny, not forced funny you seem to have these days.

Plebs & Hello Ladies for me, are the only ones I generally find funny.
    Surely it depends on the sitcom and the audience it's aimed at.
    Several sitcoms on BBC2, BBC3 and C4 after 10pm are for young to middle aged adults and contain swearing, sexual scenes and other adult themes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but there isnt any all time greats ion TV today unless your talking classic 70s repeats.
  • AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    So are they going to show them all I really loved game on even got the videos up the Loft and have got it on series link but with Glastonbury on this week I am just wondering if bbc2 intend to show all of the game on episodes (hope so) in the coming weeks?