Aunt Babe ~ not feeling the love

james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just dont get the popularity of this character?

She is no Pat and is just a bully. EE already have a character like this in Mo and Mo is much better as her scenes with Les proved last night.

Annette is a good actress but Babe isn't doing it for me.

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was going to be like Ethel. A larger than life bubbly soul. So she is everything I was not expecting. In that DS interview Annette says Babe will be ruthless and is a liar. :eek: Maybe the problem is that we thought she was going to be something she is not.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I personally haven't warmed to her at all. I too thought she was supposed to be a kind-hearted sympathetic character - not the nasty bully she has turned out to be.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,498
    Forum Member
    Annette Badland is a good actress but I can't warm to Aunt Babe. Like Hit Em Up Style said, she's everything I didn't expect her to be. She's worse than Cora and I think she will be nastier. Annette Badland hinted that many people will really dislike Aunt Babe in her interview.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking after Stan turned out to be so popular with viewers that they changed character traits with Aunt Babe to make him the nice guy.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was a bit odd when people were saying they loved her after only a handful of scenes. Especially when she wasn't too likeable in them.

Annette does a great baddie. She'll be great. Maybe DTC was wrongfooting us on purpose as it seemed Stan would be the baddie there, or maybe he changed his mind.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    Yes we already had three Gangsta Grannies so I thought Babe would be different. I do like her though.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that she's called Babe which immediately lulls people into a false sense of security. She certainly has quite a sting in her tail.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just dont get the popularity of this character?

She is no Pat and is just a bully. EE already have a character like this in Mo and Mo is much better as her scenes with Les proved last night.

Annette is a good actress but Babe isn't doing it for me.

I've hated her since the first time she appeared and I like her less each time she comes back. I read the DS interview with the actress and she indicated viewers won't like the character for much longer. Personally I don't know why anyone found her endearing in the first place. She's been nothing but a vile drug dealing bully since she stepped onto the square.

I like Annette Badland but she's crap in this role. Sorry.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think Stan may turn out to be the good guy in all this, most likely down to his popularity. He is a manipulator, we have seen that but it does seem to sometimes benefit his family when he meddles. We know he was a drunk but I think he does genuinely care about his family and feels guilty about letting his kids down. The fact that Stan doesn't know about Mick makes him more sympathetic as well.

I'm on the fence with Aunt Babe, she cares but she is ruthless and I think there is a LOT, we don't know about her yet.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I think Stan may turn out to be the good guy in all this, most likely down to his popularity. He is a manipulator, we have seen that but it does seem to sometimes benefit his family when he meddles. We know he was a drunk but I think he does genuinely care about his family and feels guilty about letting his kids down. The fact that Stan doesn't know about Mick makes him more sympathetic as well.

I'm on the fence with Aunt Babe, she cares but she is ruthless and I think there is a LOT, we don't know about her yet.

this :)
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,732
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan either. And I don't find her particularly necessary. She's cold and unlikeable.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is she a bully though....she is the only one to stand up to Tosh apart from Shirley. The rest have all let her hitting Tosh slide
  • babyeggbabyegg Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is she a bully though....she is the only one to stand up to Tosh apart from Shirley. The rest have all let her hitting Tosh slide

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she turns into a bully but I loved her giving Tosh a bit of a go in Monday's episode. Nothing less than the nasty cow deserves.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her. :)

Beneath the cuddly exterior she is as hard as nails and many women from very tough backgrounds are like that. I think that she would have made a very good matriarchal member of The Firm back in the day.

I just hope we see many more layers to the character - and for God's sake TPTB - keep her well away from the Philth.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I like the fact that she's called Babe which immediately lulls people into a false sense of security. She certainly has quite a sting in her tail.

I agree. She's like a Mafia boss unlike cora who's just a parasite
  • matty200matty200 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I think she's a fab character and has a completely different manner to the other older characters ...

There is something quite unsettling and dark about her ... I think this storyline will be fantastic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her and think she enriches the show. She stirs the pot and can definitely see her being very scary in the future!
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like her one bit we already have a dodgy-dealing gangster granny with Mo Harris another isn't needed. Pam Coker is filling the void of an older female character that was needed Pam is lovely I've rally warmed to her already. Aunt Babe is not needed I hope she doesn't last long.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the viewers can't warm to her yet, she's here one minute then off the next!
    I find her ok, at the moment! I like her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She wasn't ever described as a warm cuddly type to be fair. I need to see more of her to fully decide
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    She wasn't ever described as a warm cuddly type to be fair. I need to see more of her to fully decide

She was described as the aunt you want to cuddle,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she meant to be the new Pat?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Is she meant to be the new Pat?

No she's a slitheen :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    She was described as the aunt you want to cuddle,

Was she? That came back to bite them in the arse
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awful character who is not needed but all older eastenders characters are amazing according to this forum for some reason.