The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excel99 wrote: »

BBC2 seems like it will just be a weird mish-mash of BBC1 and BBC2 shows. I guess we could see EE leading into Gardeners World or Holby City leading into Horizon
    It's going to be very interesting to find out what happens. I rather suspect we won't find out until July. Is BBC Two going to plough its own furrow, or is it also going to take programming displaced from BBC One and BBC Three?

Or is so little BBC One programming going to continue that it stays on BBC One wherever it can be squeezed in?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be very interesting to find out what happens. I rather suspect we won't find out until July. Is BBC Two going to plough its own furrow, or is it also going to take programming displaced from BBC One and BBC Three?

Or is so little BBC One programming going to continue that it stays on BBC One wherever it can be squeezed in?

BBC Two viewing figures could go through the roof.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Ha! I bet there on to it right now. :D

Ken

Well the history of comedians transferring from BBC1 to ITV isn't good as Morecambe and Wise and Mike Yarwood found out. What often happens is they get more money, but the standard of scriptwriting is worse.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Bit of a strange one ITV wanting to do more football pranks with Rio Ferdinand, especially given how their attempts worked out last time.

I cant wait to see who gets Merk'd this time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be an BBC-Vista then. Because you've obviously forgetten about Louise Berridge and Kathleen Hutchinson's reigns as EP of EE..... Emmerdale was at the time the no2 soap..... Get over it..... It's already happened.....
    Err, no.

Hutchison's (brief) era was pretty poor, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    If BBC1 are smart they'll put the news on against the end of BGT (as they did for a few weeks in 2009) so that The Voice and Casualty can avoid it. That way The Voice Results gets to start just after BGT ends, capturing a load of BGT viewers.
    That wouldn't really work, though, because some of the Talent shows will run longer than the others, and one or two of them might even increase their running times a day or two before transmission. ;)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 11th February 2012
    BBC One
    19:15 - The Magicians: 4.43m (19.4%)
    20:30 - The National Lottery: Who Dares Wins: 5.56m (23.6%)
    21:20 - Casualty: 5.47m (24.1%)

BBC Two
    21:05 - Pompeii: 1.05m (4.5%)

ITV1
    19:30 - Harry Hill's TV Burp: 5.14m (22.6%)
    * +1: 236k (1.0%)
    20:00 - Take Me Out: 5.08m (21.7%)
    * +1: 263k (1.1%)
    21:15 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 2.87m (12.6%)
    * +1: 267k (1.4%)

Channel 4
    19:00 - FILM: Crocodile Dundee II: 1.33m (5.8%)
    21:20 - The Million Pound Drop Live: 1.81m (8.6%)

Channel 5
    20:15 - NCIS: 1.13m (4.8%)
    21:10 - CSI: 1.17m (5.1%)

ITV2
    21:15 - Take Me Out: The Gossip: 815k (3.6%)

Primetime Shares
    BBC One - 22.6%
    ITV1 - 16.5%
    Channel 4 - 6.7%
    BBC Two - 5.8%
    Channel 5 - 5.1%

Source: DS. Ratings include HD and are tape-checked where necessary.
  • myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45230037&postcount=16

So no, Emmerdale hasn't been above EastEnders in at least the last 10 years.

Yes it has. More than once. Don't try and sugarcoat it.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice 5.3m rating for TMO, isn't that static from last week?
    Is it just me who is shocked that with the cold snap that Casualty hadn't reached 6m either last night or last Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People forget Emmerdale in the late nineties had 14 million viewers. Yet I still think the big two always outranked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    It is a fact that Emmerdale is the 3rd soap. EE and Corrie are the only soaps that are the most watched.

ED has been ahead of EE more than once.

The plane crash in the 90's
    The storm where Trisha died
    The Louise Berridge / Kathleen Hutchinson era.....

In fact..... I'm sure I recall EE getting an all time low of around 3m viewers..... I shall Google that just to make sure.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise Take Me Out: The Gossip was bringing in good numbers for ITV2, a look at the BARB officials suggests that the spin-off/extension of the ITV1 show will be kept:

- 07/01 - 844k
    - 14/01 - 681k
    - 21/01 - 667k
    - 28/01 - 642k

Not too shabby for ITV2 at all, looks like last night was one of its higher ratings.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wouldn't really work, though, because some of the Talent shows will run longer than the others, and one or two of them might even increase their running times a day or two before transmission. ;)

They'd have a bit of leeway as the news could be extended by 5 minutes until 9:10. If BGT was to start at 8 then the latest they'd probably extend it to would be 9.15, and generally the 75 minute episodes of ITV entertainment shows are closer to 70 mins anyway so they'd be alright. Last year all BGT episodes were 60 mins except for the 90 minute launch, but The Voice probably won't have a results show at that point (although if it does then they'd just have to let Casualty take the hit at 8.50 with The Voice safe at 9.40). It isn't ideal but I can't think of any significantly better alternatives.

Also, nice rating for Take Me Out last night - another series high. TV Burp did OK but poor for Ross - looks like c3m is his typical audience without any extra special stars or an XF lead in. That'd be alright at 10pm but not in the 9pm hour. ITV would be better giving All Star Family Fortunes a better slot and pushing everything later. Magicians fell back after doing well last week although it didn't flop. Lottery and Casualty as consistent as ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Really unnecessary and frankly quite rude. From what I can see Scrapbook, you are the one being immature about all this channel nonsense. Can you please stop acting like a five year old? It makes the thread a bit of an unpleasant read sometimes.

I'm 24 not 5. And it is called for when people behave like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sugarcoating it, the post I made was back in October 2010 with all the data. :confused:

The data I'm posting is factually accurate (you can work out the averages yourself on the BARB website if you don't believe it is)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    GlennA are you the famous Glenn Aylett from Off The Telly who correctly predicted Neighbours' demise on BBC1 a couple of years before it happened? What do you think is going to happen to Hollyoaks soon?

Neighbours hasn't exactly met it's demise now has it..... It's still one of the most watched daytime shows..... Albiet being shown by a broadcaster which treats it better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    ED has been ahead of EE more than once.

The plane crash in the 90's
    The storm where Trisha died
    The Louise Berridge / Kathleen Hutchinson era.....

In fact..... I'm sure I recall EE getting an all time low of around 3m viewers..... I shall Google that just to make sure.....

You're being quite ridiculous. Of course there has been times when some episodes got higher ratings than EE and Corrie.

You can't just pick out a few episodes, you have to look at annual averages and trends. Again, it is a fact that Emmerdale is the 3rd soap. Why do you care so much?

EE got a record low of 3.9m once in July 2006 when it clashed with a very big 1-hour episode of Emmerdale.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    poor for Ross - looks like c3m is his typical audience without any extra special stars
    To be fair, you don't see Denzel Washington on UK chat shows often. The other guests weren't at all shabby either.

The bookers have done well IMO but for whatever reason viewers are not showing much interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, no.

Hutchison's (brief) era was pretty poor, though.

The soap was, at the time, BELOW ED.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours hasn't exactly met it's demise now has it..... It's still one of the most watched daytime shows..... Albiet being shown by a broadcaster which treats it better.

Greetings, I am he, also well known on Transdiffusion. Yes I predicted Neighbours moving to Channel 5 during 2006 in a reply to the feature called When Soaps Die. I was proved right as I knew Channel 5 were aching to get hold of a show that would guarantee them 2 million viewers.
    Hollyoaks is a tricky one, as it seems to wobble and come back. I don't think Channel 4 will scrap it, but it could move to E4, where it would be more suited. Certainly for all it doesn't give the big three sleepless nights, it has good demos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    People forget Emmerdale in the late nineties had 14 million viewers. Yet I still think the big two always outranked it.

Didn't it get boosted to around 18m when Soapstars was on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sugarcoating it, the post I made was back in October 2010 with all the data. :confused:

The data I'm posting is factually accurate (you can work out the averages yourself on the BARB website if you don't believe it is)

I shall do just that....
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a big drama clash there. SW will probably edge it but it'll be pretty close and both will be dented.

Would have thought ITV would want to launch s2 of Scott & Bailey after BGT on a Sunday, after the world of good it did last year (and the tail off that followed once the BGT crutch was removed). ITV aren't known for trying out anything radical or innovative.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    The BBC still have 10 episodes of a regular Wipeout series filmed back in Jan 2011, though they could go 5.30/6.15/7.15 with Pointless/Total Wipeout/The Voice

Why the devil have the Beeb sat on a 10 episode run of Total Wipeout for 13 months? There were ample opportunities to air it in 2011, so why did it stay in the can? I wonder if it's fallen out of favour?
    With Midwife and Miranda going well, I wonder how long it will be before Hart gets a golden handcuffs offer from ITV?

Then ITV can replicate the amazing success they had with Martin Kemp. :rolleyes:

I'd be amazed if Miranda wasn't bombarded with offers from ITV last year. And if she wasn't, then I'm sure ITV's "Operation Stop The Midwives" team will be considering poaching Miranda as one of their immediate action points.

Their Corrie clash ruse didn't come off, and may even allow CTM to sign off with a larger audience than if they hadn't cack-handedly intervened. But I'm sure the OSTM Action Team will have plenty of other ideas up their sleeves...

I think it would be mad to move big BBC shows like EE to BBC2 and compete with the Olympics coverage.

Then again, it happened during Wimbledon last year and BBC1 still managed a large Andy Murray audience whilst EE on BBC2 held over 5/7ths of its expected BBC1 Friday night audience. So I wonder if that has rather set a precedent?
    Saturday 11th February 2012
    BBC One
    19:15 - The Magicians: 4.43m (19.4%)
    20:30 - The National Lottery: Who Dares Wins: 5.56m (23.6%)
    21:20 - Casualty: 5.47m (24.1%)

ITV1
    19:30 - Harry Hill's TV Burp: 5.14m (22.6%)
    20:00 - Take Me Out: 5.08m (21.7%)
    21:15 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 2.87m (12.6%)

All a bit meh really for a cold winter Saturday night.

TV Burp a bit low, down on the week, though Ross did better than some of his recent offerings (last week excepted). I wonder if TMO was boosted by the rugby postponement and viewers switching over for a just starting show rather than one 45 minutes in?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    EE got a record low of 3.9m once in July 2006 when it clashed with a very big 1-hour episode of Emmerdale.
    Although, that was in the days of smaller timeshifts, but it did shift to 4.11m, which looked a little better. :D

Sadly, some 10pm Emmerdale episodes that summer didn't reach 4m.
  • jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems he's not concerned with the "general performance" which the averages you took the time to compile show.

If the poster can find one Emmerdale showing that went higher than one Eastenders showing then that is enough to warrant the response it seems. One show out of however many years of episodes isn't of much concern. The averages give a much better indication of performance over time.
This discussion has been closed.