✭✭
Anybody else ordered one yet?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Anybody else ordered one yet?

I haven't. I saw it yesterday in person, it's a great bit of kit.

Personally, considering waiting for a Haswell one so it gets decent battery life.

If it had a Sky Go app available it would be able to be my only machine and I would sell my iPad.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I saw it in John Lewis earlier. It looks good. My dad said he wanted one and surprise surprise mum allowed him to buy one! He'll buy it in July. Does anyone know how much the keyboards are?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much the keyboards are?
    John Lewis do! :)
    http://www.johnlewis.com/search/surface-pro?_requestid=342809
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it in John Lewis earlier. It looks good. My dad said he wanted one and surprise surprise mum allowed him to buy one! He'll buy it in July. Does anyone know how much the keyboards are?

The touch keyboards are currently free if you order from Microsoft.

You know they run Windows 8 right? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

No, it says quite clearly that covers are sold separately.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.277069200?WT.mc_id=UKHH
    Forum Member

Dad wants the type keyboard rather than the touch one. It's £109 in John Lewis. I know they run Windows 8 but I don't think dad minds. He reckons W8 is good on the MS Surface but on a normal computer it sucks. That's his opinion :D I probably won't be using it much as I have my Macs, my iPod Touch and my Android phone.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought covers were only free with Surface RT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I thought covers were only free with Surface RT.

They're not free with RT either but you can buy bundles where the black touch cover is included and is a bit cheaper than buying one separately.

On comparing the covers I found I preferred the keyboard of the type cover (kinda obvious) but preferred the mousepad of the touch cover. Also touch cover can be folded back behind the surface but it feels weird to do that with the type cover (exposed keys like with a Yoga).

I think I will take the gamble of trying to live with a touch cover.

I also saw the Dell XPS 12 in John Lewis and thought it was pretty cool but the thickness and weight means using it outside of laptop isn't going to be common.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dad wants the type keyboard rather than the touch one. It's £109 in John Lewis. I know they run Windows 8 but I don't think dad minds. He reckons W8 is good on the MS Surface but on a normal computer it sucks. That's his opinion :D I probably won't be using it much as I have my Macs, my iPod Touch and my Android phone.

Have your Dad seen these Keyboards? i presume they will be the same ones that are available for the Surface RT, if so then they pretty naff to be honest.

The touch one feels like a ZX81, but larger and the other one feels like , I can't really explain it, I suppose it is like a calculator style keys.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Have your Dad seen these Keyboards? i presume they will be the same ones that are available for the Surface RT, if so then they pretty naff to be honest.

The touch one feels like a ZX81, but larger and the other one feels like , I can't really explain it, I suppose it is like a calculator style keys.

I've both coming with mine and don't envisage any major issues using them.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

He's seen the touch cover that you get for the Surface RT but the Surface Pro on display didn't have a keyboard plugged into it. I don't think he liked the touch one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    They're not free with RT either but you can buy bundles where the black touch cover is included and is a bit cheaper than buying one separately.
    OK, just to clarify this, the site says:

"Buy any model of Surface RT and get a Surface Touch or Surface Type Cover FREE. Please ensure you add your Surface Touch or Surface Type Cover to the cart when purchasing your Surface RT device to redeem the offer. Offer available between 15/05/2013 and 30/06/2013. Offer is subject to availability. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Offer available to UK residents only"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, just to clarify this, the site says:

"Buy any model of Surface RT and get a Surface Touch or Surface Type Cover FREE. Please ensure you add your Surface Touch or Surface Type Cover to the cart when purchasing your Surface RT device to redeem the offer. Offer available between 15/05/2013 and 30/06/2013. Offer is subject to availability. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Offer available to UK residents only"

Ahh ok. But in any case this is just for RT when this thread is about Surface Pro and your original post made it seem like you were talking about the Pro.

Having played with the RT I wouldn't buy it because the performance really did not seem good at all. There was quite a lot of lag when typing in microsoft word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's seen the touch cover that you get for the Surface RT but the Surface Pro on display didn't have a keyboard plugged into it. I don't think he liked the touch one.

They are not great, I suppose they are not really meant to be used a lot, but they will certainly not replace a normal keyboard
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've both coming with mine and don't envisage any major issues using them.

I know someone who got both with the surface RT, which is how i know what they are like. No feedback, that is the problem with them and no travel on the keys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good point about the Surface and especially the Pro is that you can use all kinds of PC peripherals with it, so you have your choice of Bluetooth keyboards for example.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a standard generic USB or bluetooth keyboard work?

I realise it wouldn't also form a cover, nor would it be so convenient to carry, but it would be a fraction of the cost. Just an idea.

Damn! Stig beat me to it! :):)
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good point about the Surface and especially the Pro is that you can use all kinds of PC peripherals with it, so you have your choice of Bluetooth keyboards for example.

All other tablets also support Bluetooth.
    Forum Member

So that means you could use a USB keyboard and mouse as well?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look and specs of the Surface Pro. But I couldn't justify the expense. Maybe if/when they come down in price.... Otherwise a decent ultrabook/Macbook Air would be my preferred option if I was going to spend this sort of money.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    All other tablets also support Bluetooth.

Whatever you do, don't tell them which bits of bluetooth they do and do not support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I like the look and specs of the Surface Pro. But I couldn't justify the expense. Maybe if/when they come down in price.... Otherwise an decent ultrabook/Macbook Air would be my preferred option if I was going to spend this sort of money.

That's what recommend and a tablet for when one wants to travel even lighter and have much better battery life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't tell them which bits of bluetooth they do and do not support.

I wouldn't be surprised if a tablet like the iPad actually supports more Bluetooth devices and apps than a desktop or laptop. It certainly supports Bluetooth keyboards, as mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if a tablet like the iPad actually supports more Bluetooth devices and apps than a desktop or laptop. It certainly supports Bluetooth keyboards, as mentioned.

Come now, don't be silly. This is full windows 8, anything a desktop computer can do, this can.

With an iPad, you rely on whatever Bluetooth profiles are baked into iOS.

With Windows, ANY bluetooth device can be run. If your device doesn't have bluetooth integrated, you can just stick in a dongle and third-party software can always be added to take care of any missing profiles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what recommend and a tablet for when one wants to travel even lighter and have much better battery life.

What about when you are travelling and want a tablet experience some of the time and a laptop experience some of the time?

I could travel with a single Surface Pro which can do each one reasonably well.

Or I would have to travel with two separate devices adding, thickness, weight plus two chargers etc.