Should Muslims refuse to take holiday in Christmas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
Forum Member
You know all the news about some Muslims at work refusing to serve customer alcohol, wear proper uniforms, etc etc. But how come there is no Muslim refuse to be given time off during Christmas? Surely that is "offensive" to their religion as well?

Comments

• Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Well i'm not religious at all and will gladly enjoy the piss up and food that xmas brings and take as much time off as my work lets me.
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know quite a few people who work in the asian restaurant business and they handle alcohol regularly without any problems. I think it depends on how religious the individual is tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Why just Muslims?.

Surely Jews, Buddhists, all us athiests, Pagans and everyone else who doesn't worship Jesus Christ should also be refused Christmas holidays.

Most people in this country only pay lip service to Christmas anyway, it's pretty much the only time of year (well maybe Easter as well) where a huge swathe of the so called Christians actually bother to think about Jesus and God, never mind go to a church/chapel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    You know all the news about some Muslims at work refusing to serve customer alcohol, wear proper uniforms, etc etc. But how come there is no Muslim refuse to be given time off during Christmas? Surely that is "offensive" to their religion as well?

Have you asked every single Muslim in the country? I would happily take time of during Yom Kippur, Diwali, Chinese New Year. So why shouldn't Muslims take time off just because it is Christmas. What a daft thread.

I had two glasses of wine at the local curry house tonight and they were delighted to serve me alcohol. And they had a Christmas tree in there and played Christmas songs.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    Are you a journo from the Daily Mail looking for quotes for an article?
  • HungryMunchkinHungryMunchkin Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough I was just about to post something about this.

My boss is a Muslim and as a small team of 3 me and my other colleague can only take leave one at a time. My boss takes both Eids off plus every Friday lunchtime for prayers and some other dates in the Muslim calendar. If we want to take leave during those times we're told we can't as he has priority. This year that included me not being able to go away for my husbands 40th as it coincided with Eid.

That's never bothered me I thought it was fair enough as it would be well rubbish having to work around Xmas so I thought we should do our bit to make sure that he could have time off with his family at Eid.

But this Christmas he told me and the other staff member in our department that he would be off and one of us would have to come in and cover the office.

I thought that was so unfair, if we have to cover Eid for him he should return the favour at Xmas.

I'm not saying that this is typical of Muslims but it did really, really upset me and I thought it was very rude.
    Forum Member

My boss is a Muslim and as a small team of 3 me and my other colleague can only take leave one at a time. My boss takes both Eids off plus every Friday lunchtime for prayers and some other dates in the Muslim calendar. If we want to take leave during those times we're told we can't as he has priority. This year that included me not being able to go away for my husbands 40th as it coincided with Eid.

That's never bothered me I thought it was fair enough as it would be well rubbish having to work around Xmas so I thought we should do our bit to make sure that he could have time off with his family at Eid.

But this Christmas he told me and the other staff member in our department that he would be off and one of us would have to come in and cover the office.

I thought that was so unfair, if we have to cover Eid for him he should return the favour at Xmas.

I'm not saying that this is typical of Muslims but it did really, really upset me and I thought it was very rude.

Raise it with human resources, it sounds to me like he's taking the mickey.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sssshhhh - don't tell anyone but I know Muslims who put up a Christmas tree every year. AND they send me a Christmas card! OK, so they pass on the Nativity scene, but they do enjoy the Christmas fun.
    Why shouldn't they?
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only three of them in total. He IS Human Resources.
    Forum Member

Ah, difficult one that.

If it was me personally, I'd pull him up about it but then I'd probably end up back on the dole as a result. :(
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Surely, it's a case of 'when in Rome......'?

Would Christians in Muslim countries be expected to work during Eid?

Some yeas ago, I happened to go into one of those little Tesco stores attached to a petrol station on Christmas morning. I noticed that all the staff on duty were Asian-usually there was quite a mixture of races. I did wonder if they had offered to work to allow the other staff to have Christmas with their families.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

snip.

Hang on.......
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it cynical of me to expect this gets turned into a news article one day?

I agree with you it doesn't sound fair. And as you say I don't think it's representative of all Muslims. For example I will be working during a shift over Christmas.

As for the OP I think it is a daft question to ask. As most people in the country is taking a break at this time of the year it only makes sense for anyone (including Muslims) to take a break at the same time. Also not all Muslims take off Eid.

The creation of this thread just smacks of sour grapes or some sort of resentment.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »

The creation of this thread just smacks of sour grapes or some sort of resentment.

On DS? Surely not ;)

OP, if you can cope with a bit of education can I refer you to the Channel 4 Christmas message given by a Muslim woman, in full burka?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlszdcd3Kck

Christmas isn't 'offensive' to most Muslims, particularly as it relates to the birth of one of their prophets.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Christmas isn't 'offensive' to most Muslims, particularly as it relates to the birth of one of their prophets.

That's what i would have thought
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on.......

I noticed that too!!
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    If I become Queen of England we can all take holidays on every religious occasion :D
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is saying merry xmas allowed in islam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCf2sSorXE&feature=related

according to him no. I'm a muslim I don't agree with what he says. Seeing as most of my friends don't do anything religious except from Easter when they get all the chocolate they can get their hands on and on xmas when they exchange presents etc. Most of them are only interested in the commercial aspect of xmas eg: exchanging presents and having a good time and maybe getting pissed.

EDIT: Bit off topic I know :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The local Sikh Resturant in the Village are working over the Christmas Holidays, all day, everyday. Including Christmas day to cater to everyone who wants to have a meal-out there. So not everyone who isn't Christian is taking the Holiday off. Infact if I had a little more cash I'd be going there and treating myself to some fine Indian Cuisine on Christmas day myself.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just feed em a bit of Bacon!
  • MuddyMooseMuddyMoose Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on.......

You're good I didn't notice that....

I would happily work on Christmas if one of my colleagues needed me to. I work during Easter, Boxing Day, Christmas would be no different. Many Muslims I know cover shifts for their colleagues during Christmas. Go to your local supermarket and virtually all of the staff on these days are usually Asian
    Forum Member
    If I become Queen of England we can all take holidays on every religious occasion :D

Don't the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish get a look in too? :D.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    There was a Muslim girl at my school and she was quite interested in the whole Christmas celebration and she often used to ask me about it and the food, pressies, music etc. She had her school holidays with everyone else and was also looking forward to the hols every year for the time off school :D She even came to Christmas carol singing on the last day of term one year and she wished me Merry Christmas as well! I just replied back "Enjoy the holidays!" and she didn't mind.
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    Don't the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish get a look in too? :D.

Queen of the WORLD :D:D:D:D
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Christmas is more than just a Christian holiday. It's become a winter celebration of all that is good in the world - family, communities coming together, giving, thinking of those less fortunate and children.

Anyone who refuses to celebrate Christmas based on its root meaning puts too much thought into stuff that doesn't matter