Options

New rumours about magann in the 50th

13»

Comments

• Options
    dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    McGann definitely will be appearing this year - there are rumours of either a mini-episode containing his regeneration into Hurt, or some scenes in the 50th anniversary special itself, or both.

Either way, he'll be involved, and I think it's a good thing. We know less about the history of the 8th Doctor than any of the other doctors - it's been more or less shrouded in mystery. And the 8th Doctor is effectively the link man between classic who and new who. It's great to see that link strengthened and give a little bit of screentime to someone who could have been a great doctor if he'd had more opportunity.

As for Tom Baker, the chances of seeing him on screen as he is now are minimal. It simply won't happen, he looks so very different to the iconic doctor that we saw in the 1970's. Just because Davison's appearance in Time Crash was explained away doesn't mean they'll use the same devise this time - and Davison looked far more like his younger self than Baker does, I'm afraid.

One thing he does have is that commanding authoritative voice, and as someone earlier suggested, having Tom Baker narrating the 50th special would be brilliant.

If they wanted to get around Tom Baker looking so old what they could do is say that he was taken out of time from the point in the Leisure Hive where he was aged significantly by that machine. Just dress him in his burgundy outfit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Whatever happens with the 8th Doctor character, I just hope his character is treated respectfully and doesn't have some goofy or crazy thing done to him for the sake of "being controversial". Also, I hope he has the long hair and outfit from the TV movie because I thought he looked great like that.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    Whatever happens with the 8th Doctor character, I just hope his character is treated respectfully and doesn't have some goofy or crazy thing done to him for the sake of "being controversial". Also, I hope he has the long hair and outfit from the TV movie because I thought he looked great like that.

There's no way they'd stick the wig on him, and it's a reasonable assumption he'll be wearing the Dark Eyes clothes- http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bigfinish.com/img/news/doctorwho-darkeyes-slipcase_image_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dark-eyes-cover&h=600&w=676&sz=173&tbnid=YLO8xspnyQ3eHM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=101&zoom=1&usg=__6wRut9HD8NdT5CHJXaR9bmFAa50=&docid=T95ckbwYZxPJRM&sa=X&ei=TB33Uf-3Jo_g7Qbjo4D4CQ&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ&dur=2751
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would mean three consecutive Doctors dressed in leather jackets. Seems unlikely.

I don't know, seems more likely to me. And maybe deliberate, Hurts Doctor might not have time to find a new outfit if born in a time war.

Really hoping he appears, but worried they will disrespect his history and put him in his old clothes just for a 2 minute regeneration scene.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Part of me wonders if the move to put Matt Smith in the velvet frock coat is a ploy to make the viewers more readily identify McGann as the same character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

If that's the case, I'll be disappointed as I think he looks a lot better with the longer, lighter-color hair (I don't care if it's a wig) than he does in the "Dark Eyes" image. Also, that jacket is boring, the TV movie outfit was a lot better. Furthermore, it looks similar to the 9th Doctor's jacket. If the show's going to re-use outfits, maybe the 12th Doctor should wear a suit, tie and sneakers.

I'm also wondering about those fans who have seen only the movie and not the audiobooks packaging and won't even realize at first what Doctor he's supposed to be. Not to mention that every "flashback" of the 8th Doctor in new Who has him with his long hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Part of me wonders if the move to put Matt Smith in the velvet frock coat is a ploy to make the viewers more readily identify McGann as the same character.

I don't know about that but I do know that I really like Matt's velvet frock coat outfit a lot better than his first outfit. The longer length suits him and the color is flattering to him. Or maybe I just like that kind of look and was born in the wrong time. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's the case, I'll be disappointed as I think he looks a lot better with the longer, lighter-color hair (I don't care if it's a wig) than he does in the "Dark Eyes" image. Also, that jacket is boring, the TV movie outfit was a lot better. Furthermore, it looks similar to the 9th Doctor's jacket. If the show's going to re-use outfits, maybe the 12th Doctor should wear a suit, tie and sneakers.

I'm also wondering about those fans who have seen only the movie and not the audiobooks packaging and won't even realize at first what Doctor he's supposed to be. Not to mention that every "flashback" of the 8th Doctor in new Who has him with his long hair.

It's worth noting Dark Eyes is a fairly recent release- November 2012- and Cardiff would have had to approve the image and could have vetoed it. I'm not sure that means anything, and Moffat seems more hands off about Big Finish than RTD- who refused to let them use The Master & Davros around the time they were on telly- but if the tv production team had wanted a stock 1996 image of the Eighth doctor on that cover, that's what would have been on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth noting Dark Eyes is a fairly recent release- November 2012- and Cardiff would have had to approve the image and could have vetoed it. I'm not sure that means anything, and Moffat seems more hands off about Big Finish than RTD- who refused to let them use The Master & Davros around the time they were on telly- but if the tv production team had wanted a stock 1996 image of the Eighth doctor on that cover, that's what would have been on it.

I don't know what you are talking about but that still happens. A huge chunk of Dark Eyes 2 had to be taken out and rewritten because it clashed with a TV episode, in exactly the same way as Davros and the Master, and Cardiff still have to approve every storyline and character. RTD was a massive supporter of Big Finish. Not saying Moff isn't, just saying nothing has changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jus' saying, if they didn't want him in leather, he wouldn't be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jus' saying, if they didn't want him in leather, he wouldn't be.

Right. Just a confusing post. You seemed to be saying that the BBC approved the leather look (which they did, but at least a year before Dark Eyes, not long after the convention he appeared at dressed like that) and then that they want the long hair. Just couldn't work it out.

Oh well.

I imagine they will want his original outfit and then BF will have to work out why he would change back before regenerating. Shame though, would make much more sense to just leave him in the leather.