Can someone explain to me what the Wii U is?

TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
Forum Member
So I understand the concept of the Nintendo DS, I understand the concept of the Wii. Why does the Wii U, or more importantly, how, combine a handheld with the TV?

I much prefer handheld gaming and I'm currently considering the 3DS but in reality it's only to play Majora's mask because I never finished it. Can I use the Wii U handheld device to play Majora's mask, if I got it on the nintendo store online thing that I used to use on the Wii?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    WiiU is the successor to the Wii, the handheld as you put it is the WiiU controller (Gamepad).
    Most games allow off tv play by using the Gamepad screen, some games utilise the Gamepad screen for other functions within a game which when done right makes it an awesome experience.
    Yes you can play Majoras Mask via Wii mode, but the Gamepad only acts as a screen so you will still need to use a Wiimote/Classic Controller.
    If Nintendo ever release N64 games then you will be able to play them directly on the Gamepad without the need for another controller.
    Here's some clips showing off some things the Gamepad can do in a game:
    http://youtu.be/4e3qaPg_keg
    http://youtu.be/TRr6JG15RK4
    http://youtu.be/Dza-jS7B7VU
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Wrong Thread
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wii U is the successor to the Wii just as the Wii was the successor to the Gamecube which was the successor to the N64 which was the successor to the SNES which was a successor to the NES.

The Wii U is to the Wii what the PS3 is to the PS2: much more powerful and capable of handling HD graphics (though for whatever reason, it took Nintendo 5 years longer than the other consoles to make the jump to HD).

I personally play the Wii U as I would any other console; it's main gimmick (the gamepad) is more or less irrelevant to me as the games I play the most (Call of Duty and Mario Kart 8) play perfectly well with the Pro Controller (which is a far nicer controller than both the PS4's and the Xbox One's, IMO).

However, the Gamepad is not without its uses and there are some games where in came in handy- for example, it was very helpful to have the map and the items list on the gamepad in my hands when I was playing Wind Waker HD because it meant I didn't need to constantly open up menus. There are also some good party games to play with friends which make use of it.

The Wii U can also support any Wii peripherals and play any Wii games. You can play Majora's Mask on the Wii U by using the Wii virtual console, though a Wii Classic Controller is required. However, Majora's Mask 3D is coming out in a few weeks on the 3DS and it will have better graphics than the Wii Virtual console version.

To summarise, the Wii U is a games console, and a decent one at that.