Xbox One and Windows 10 users will be able to play games with each other online

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Xbox One and Windows 10 users will soon play console games with each other online. As long as both players have the same version of the game.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/xbox-one-phil-spencer-unveils-new-experiences-for-xbox-one-and-windows-10-gamers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/22/windows_10_cortana_and_spartan_and_xbox_oh_my/?page=2

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 10?

Bloomin heck I thought we were on 8. Is EA making windows now ?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xbox One and Windows 10 users will soon play console games with each other online. As long as both players have the same version of the game.
    I'm curious about how this will actually work.

What games will support this? and do these games need to be purchased from the Xbox app or do steam games work?
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Windows 10?

In an attempt to distance itself from 8.1 as much as possible MS decided to skip 9 and go straight to 10. Also I think they are going to do a Apple thing where each release is 10.x.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I thought it was something to do with having Windows 95 and Windows 98 already so they went straight for 10?

I wonder how the streaming to PC thing works? Do you think PC streamers will be able to use Mouse/Keyboard for FPS games? I'm building a new PC sometime this year so I'll be looking to go for Windows 10, i quite like some of the new features shown.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be pointless, the amount of Mod's a PC can use V the no mods of an Xbox one, will give the PC player a huge advantage,
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will be pointless, the amount of Mod's a PC can use V the no mods of an Xbox one, will give the PC player a huge advantage,

Sounds like the PC player needs an Xbox 1 version of the game so no mods to cause problems.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mods have always been for single player, there aren't many games where mods are allowed in MP, it certainly won't be possible with Cross-Play.
    He4rt wrote: »
    I thought it was something to do with having Windows 95 and Windows 98 already so they went straight for 10?.

It is.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Windows 10?

Crikey i hope not our pcs would never work properly and would be full of bugs with EA launching chargeable updates.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods have always been for single player, there aren't many games where mods are allowed in MP, it certainly won't be possible with Cross-Play.

It is.

Shadowrun 2007 first game that allowed Xbox and PC play against each other. On early tests the mediocre PC players were destroying the best console players simply because of the superior PC control system.

Mods may not be allowed but that rarely stops anybody
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    i have always wanted this they should have a server where everything can play

ds
    ps
    xbox
    playstation

etc

a master server
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, will PC gamers have to subscribe to Xbox Live to play against Xbox One owners? Because I can't see that working out.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is.
    I thought it was something to do with having Windows 95 and Windows 98 already so they went straight for 10?

That is just a theory, MS have never given a reason why, in fact I recall them saying its because "seven ate nine" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Some multiplayer games from the last generation were tested PS3 vs X360
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, will PC gamers have to subscribe to Xbox Live to play against Xbox One owners? Because I can't see that working out.

Polygon - Windows 10 Xbox Gold program could happen, but online gaming would remain free
    As Windows gaming and Xbox One become much more similar experiences with the coming release of Windows 10, it does raise the question of what sort of plans Microsoft might have for an Xbox Live Gold system on computers.

Don't worry, said Mike Ybarra, who leads engineering efforts for console and PC at Microsoft, the company knows that it wouldn't be acceptable to charge for online multiplayer for PC games.

"It will remain free on PC," he said.

(snip)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the company knows that it wouldn't be acceptable to charge for online multiplayer for PC games.

Translation, we know PC games wouldn't let us get away with charging for online, thankfully we suckered console gamers into believing that paying for something instantly made it better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    PC gamers do spend money on multiplayer and online, often they will rent servers

Oh and there is a successfull online system for PC called Steam
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PC gamers do spend money on multiplayer and online, often they will rent servers

Oh and there is a successfull online system for PC called Steam

Steam is free.

I wouldn't mind paying for PSN / Live if we were allowed to run our own servers for games, at least we would be getting something for it. But as it stands paying for PSN / Live is basically an online tax levied against gamers. The worst part is not a week goes by without some story appearing about someone having access issues with either server.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    This is just the next in a long line of Microsoft wanting to dip their toes into Steam's market - I dont see it being successful.

Valve has this shit locked down.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    This is just the next in a long line of Microsoft wanting to dip their toes into Steam's market - I dont see it being successful.

Valve has this shit locked down.

It is a relative success already. SteamOS is dead in the water with Windows 10 being free for W7/8 users for a year, and by starting the Xbox program as a 'side-app' they are able to build user familiarity and trust in the brand on PC as they expand, instead of going all in like Origin or uPlay.

Microsoft have been very smart, now we have to wait to GDC to see Valve's response.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems very much like a "we're doing this because we can" idea rather than having any firm direction or purpose.

An Xbone is a PC with a fixed specification running its own version of Windows. I heard that a game developed for a Windows PC can be "converted" to run on the Xbox in mere minutes.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder how the streaming to PC thing works? Do you think PC streamers will be able to use Mouse/Keyboard for FPS games? I'm building a new PC sometime this year so I'll be looking to go for Windows 10, i quite like some of the new features shown.

They wanted to call It Windows One(brand synergy with Xbox One and One Drive etc)but as the original windows was windows 1 they couldn't and they didn't want to call it windows 9 as they believe is a bigger improvement on windows 8 than one iteration jump,so 1 plus 9 makes 10