Do you like Woody Allen films?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,055
Forum Member
✭✭
Recently watched a few as they're on Netflix. Annie Hall, Hannah And Her Sisters and Manhattan. As far as I'm aware these are his 'big' three. Not sure if there's any other classics of his??

Can't make my mind up if I like his style or not. I like the way they poke fun at pretentious New Yorkers and those artsy types in general. The themes are all a little dour though - affairs, break ups, divorces, mid-life crisis etc. The neurotic characters he plays get a bit grating too. (Though he seems to have no trouble pulling attractive women with that style in all of his films)

I'd go with Annie Hall as my favourite out of them three and the most watchable.

Do you like Woody and his films?

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried watching Woody Allen movies but they're just a bit too dry for my tastes
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i like Woody! Annie Hall is super it's quotastic! Have you seen The Purple Rose of Cairo? I really like Manhattan Murder Mystery too. Of his more recent films i really enjoyed Midnight in Paris. There's so many but those were the first three that came to mind after reading your post.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    No. Not my kind of humour, or should I say 'humor'?
  • St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manhattan is pretty wonderful, I think. I like the early ones like Love and Death. Radio Days is nice.

best avoid Honey, I ****** the kids
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like his films..sleeper & mighty aphrodite were good as well.
  • Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I like quite a few, my favourites are:

Play It Again, Sam
    Annie Hall (one of my favourite films of all time)
    Sleeper
    Bananas
    Manhattan Murder Mystery
    Interiors
    Hannah and her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Bullets over Broadway
    Love and Death
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is hit and miss. Not consistent for me. But i do like him. His winning formula for me is his choice in actors, who at times are better than the scripts.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Some of his movies are terrific, but IMO most are a bit blaaah, too self indulgent.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His early slapstick films are worth seeing even if you aren't a fan.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    His early films are very good, especially with performances and writing.

Never been convinced by him as a film director, I think he's pretty poor mostly in that regard.

But then he's admitted himself he's very lazy on a technical level and goes through the motions on set - I believe he kind of views it more as sticking a camera in front of a stage play as opposed to producing anything genuinely cinematic for an audience.

So yeah, not really my cup of tea. His early films were very well performed and funny though.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allen has so many movies and has mixed genres and changed his style so much over the years I cannot imagine anyone who could say they like everything he does.

For example, there are the early, more slapstick-orientated ones such as Bananas, Take The Money and Run, Sleeper...the more mature classics such as Manhattan, Annie Hall, the homages and parodies of classic writers and directors such as Love and Death, Stardust Memories, Everything you always wanted to know about sex...his mid-period nostalgic comedies like Purple Rose of Cairo, Bullets over Broadway, Radio Days, Broadway Danny Rose...serious stuff like Interiors and Crimes and Misdemeanours,

But his output in the last 15 years or so has been fair-to-middling. Allen seems to be a workaholic, almost obsessive about making movies and churns out 1 or two a year...and then practically disowns them and moves on to the next. He does not do publicity, rarely gives interviews and his films never have commentaries or anything when released on blu ray and dvd.

Last film of his I saw was Whatever You Want, which I was intrigued by due to the inclusion of Larry David. But it was mildly amusing at best.

Personally I still like the early silly ones, because I grew up with them. But Purple Rose of Cairo would be my all time fave. Quite fond of Broadway Danny Rose, Sleeper, Zelig, and of course Annie Hall and Manhattan.

Always found Hannah overrated...but I was pleasantly surprised by Crimes and Misdemeanours.
  • spearmintspearmint Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Play It Again, Sam
    Sleeper
    Bananas
    Manhattan Murder Mystery
    Interiors
    Hannah and her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Bullets over Broadway
    Love and Death

I love all of these. Broadway Danny Rose is another of my favourites.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact he is so prolific counts against him. If he only released a film every few years like Terence Malick it would be treated as an "event" by the media rather than just another Woody Allen film.

And when you make a film every year the law of averages inevitably means quite a few will be stinkers.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourites are Annie Hall and blue Jasmine.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly do.
    They can be very refreshing if you're looking for humour which is an antidote to the bashing over your head broad comedy of most Hollywood comedy in films.

I also enjoy his quite low key stories which focus on the characters. I really love Woody Allen films. They seem to connect with me in a way which big Hollywood films don't.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Play It Again, Sam
    Sleeper
    Bananas
    Manhattan Murder Mystery
    Interiors
    Hannah and her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Bullets over Broadway
    Love and Death

All those are great recommendations.

I'd also add

Zelig
    Broadway Danny Rose
    Radio Days
    Take the Money and Run
    The Purple Rose of Cairo
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think the fact he is so prolific counts against him. If he only released a film every few years like Terence Malick it would be treated as an "event" by the media rather than just another Woody Allen film.

And when you make a film every year the law of averages inevitably means quite a few will be stinkers.

And that also means that his film releases are not seen as the event they once were.

I don't know about stinkers...there is a lot of his later output I have not seen, but I think its more that he makes so many, and they are simply so low key and light that they barely register.

I also wanted to say that I as pleasantly surprised by Crimes and Misdemeanours, not what I was expecting and quite serious, but a very good movie.

I would also recommend The Front...not actually directed by Woody Allen (Martin Ritt), and not really a comedy...its about the McCarthy 'witch hunts' of the 50's, and specifically about the 'fronts', the unknown writers who submitted the work of blacklisted writers as their own.

Possibly the best movie made about the subject, and contains a decent performance from Allen, but a heartbreaking one from Zero Mostel, himself a genuine victim of the situation, as was the director and many others in the cast.
  • Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen a lot of Woody's later films. I keep meaning to watch Blue Jasmine, Whatever Works and Magic in the Moonlight. I enjoyed Everyone Says I Love You.
    All those are great recommendations.

I'd also add

Zelig
    Broadway Danny Rose
    Radio Days
    Take the Money and Run
    The Purple Rose of Cairo

Out of those, I've seen Radio Days and The Purple Rose of Cairo.